PDA

View Full Version : Richard Burns Memorial Rally, RAF Marham, 2009

john
13-02-2024, 17:57
I found some video footage on my old laptop the other day, of Steve Ellis and myself at Kings Lynn MC Richard Burns Memorial Rally, in Steve's Litton Corse.
My son Andrew has done some editing to stabilise the video and cut out a lot of repetitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gM4It-ROpg

Thought it might be of interest.

hollytree
13-02-2024, 18:28
John
Thanks
I hope he gets it back together and on the road soon, or whatever he wants to do with it.
Steve

Stratie.fr
15-02-2024, 10:57
Thanks for the video John
A nice run and good memories for sure!
I like it and the color of Steve's Corse too:)
Driving a Strat in rally or tarmac is always a full fun and joy...Just missing me at the moment!:p

ProtoTipo
15-02-2024, 11:36
John,
Why was it possible to get an RAC MSA log book back in the day (like the cars that used to compete in the stage rally at Abingdon), but not possible now?

hollytree
15-02-2024, 12:40
[I got this in the pile of paper when I bought my collection of bits/chassis/panels.

john
15-02-2024, 13:31
John,
Why was it possible to get an RAC MSA log book back in the day (like the cars that used to compete in the stage rally at Abingdon), but not possible now?
It was a big fight for Steve to get his log book.
While building his car I think the engine size limits changed at least twice. Steve also had the Litton roll cage certificate and his chassis was indeed a Litton.
I think in the early 2000's then individual MSA (local) scrutineers had some say in which cars got log books and which didn't. In latter years if you didn't 100% meet blue book regs, then you had no chance. They certainly tightened up minimum annual production numbers for approved chassis.
I did have preliminary discussions with the msa for LB in the early days but no idea where that went or what the current LB competition chassis actually qualifies for.

ProtoTipo
15-02-2024, 14:38
Can Steve's car still be used on rallies today John?

john
15-02-2024, 15:47
Well if he put it back together it could!
Joking aside I think once a car is log booked it can't be revoked.
As regards Abingdon, I think there was only a rare appearance by a Stratos on the Sunday rally.
You didn't need a log book for the Saturday sprint of course.
Steve and I had an entry for both sprint and rally one year only for the dry sump pump to ingest a seal first thing on the Saturday morning.
Gary Lomas' Corse did the rally one year I remember and Dave Watson in his Allora, and there was Richard Gibbons' Corse too (below).
Gary Keennans Corse had a log book.
Can you think of any more?

ProtoTipo
15-02-2024, 16:04
Can you think of any more?

There was couple who rallied a Corse, who had the same (not common) name as another Corse owner, but were not related?

Strat Fan
15-02-2024, 16:11
There was couple who rallied a Corse, who had the same (not common) name as another Corse owner, but were not related?
Jan Leach & Tony Aylott, There was another Tony Aylott who owned the Allora which now resides with James N.

hollytree
15-02-2024, 16:20
Steve came and saw me and my Corse at Hebden Bridge show 2022, and I went to see his car in mine a few weeks later.
He knows the organizer who I think tipped him off that i was registered.
I hope he comes down in later this year (2024). It would be great if it was running and he came in it.

ProtoTipo
15-02-2024, 16:38
Jan Leach & Tony Aylott, There was another Tony Aylott who owned the Allora which now resides with James N.

Ah yes Craig, the 'new' Allora?

john
15-02-2024, 16:38

That was it Craig. Strange coincidence on the 2 Aylots. Jan posts sometimes on the FB group but I don't think she has ever made it to the forum.

john
15-02-2024, 16:47
Steve came and saw me and my Corse at Hebden Bridge show 2022, and I went to see his car in mine a few weeks later.
He knows the organizer who I think tipped him off that i was registered.
I hope he comes down in later this year (2024). It would be great if it was running and he came in it.

I checked with Steve that he was OK for me to publish Andrew's video on YouTube, but I'll ring him to have a proper catch up.
I'm confident in saying he will not drive the car on the road so he won't be rocking up at any shows, unless he gets his trailer out. I don't think I'm talking out of turn but all Steve's testing was on events. Hence a few (lot) of teething problems which were frustrating. Despite having some luscious road mileage right on his doorstep I don't recall him ever driving it on the road.

hollytree
15-02-2024, 17:00
John
When I saw him he had the highly strung V6 race engine and sequential box out and a standard V6 and box on the floor.
His plan was to get the car into a sensible road going "trim" so he could sell it, as he was no longer racing it (time, age, money)

If you talk to him, please wish him my best and if he comes to Hebden bridge I will buy him a tea and a pie even if he comes on the bus.