PDA

View Full Version : Stratossupersite

The Slug
15-02-2012, 21:11
Everyone..........

I have been in touch with the people who run the servers for the supersite to see what could be done about our data that they hold, and if we could get the information off it them...

You have to understand that this is a difficult issue as the site has not been paid for for several months and its not my site or the club site.

However....

As of now the site is back up and working for at most 5 days only, I would urge you all to find what you can and copy that to this site ASAP as I do not know what will happen in the next 5 days but its the best I can do for you all at this time...

As I find out more I will let you know, so please take this opertunity to get all you can it may well be the last time you can.....

Ian

ChrisC
15-02-2012, 22:20
Well Done Ian, great work. I got on straight away, will spend the next few days downloading info.

ChrisC

ChrisCar6
15-02-2012, 22:24
Good work Ian, but Jeez, where to start!

kolynos
15-02-2012, 22:28
A big thanks Ian,well done, so much info on there. Unfortunately i deleted my details for the site last week and i cant remember my password aaaaggggghhhhhh........
Dave..

BAS
15-02-2012, 22:57
Ian that's great, even remembered my password! Can the old site be replicated on here just to refer to?

The Slug
15-02-2012, 23:03
Anyone that knows the old guard that has not made it to this site, maybe you could send them a mail from the old site??

ChrisCar6
15-02-2012, 23:06
Anyone that knows the old guard that has not made it to this site, maybe you could send them a mail from the old site??
I've already done that for Martin Kift - any others MIA?

The Slug
15-02-2012, 23:09
Ian that's great, even remembered my password! Can the old site be replicated on here just to refer to?

Hi Bas,

The site is not ours so I have no access to its database, passwords or backup. I have already created a new database server to copy the data onto IF we could have got the data but that looks less likley by the day so I think its enjoy the next 5 days......

ChrisCar6
15-02-2012, 23:12
A big thanks Ian,well done, so much info on there. Unfortunately i deleted my details for the site last week and i cant remember my password aaaaggggghhhhhh........
Dave..
Could somebody lend their identity? I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy giving mine as I have moderator access.

Elliott
15-02-2012, 23:24
Could somebody lend their identity? I'm afraid I wouldn't be happy giving mine as I have moderator access.

Dave, you can use my login. I've sent you a PM with my details.

StruanR
15-02-2012, 23:42
Great stuff Ian, let's hope we can salvage what we can.
Struan

ducatiman
15-02-2012, 23:47
Excellent work Ian

Okay so the question now is what is the quickest way to download all the good data..........................at the moment I am selecting certain threads and saving the complete page to my PC as .htm files, so you have a sub directory with all the photo's and other gif's that make up that page, just remember that you have to do this for every page on that thread. At least then these pages can be viewed off-line and will allow the pages to be rebuilt on the new forum.....

Any other ideas welcome.........................days are counting down already.

jeffdavison
16-02-2012, 00:00
I found some freeware software, so I'll be mirroring the entire site for accsess at my leasure on a 2nd hard drive. Never done this and hope the program works.... but it IS a very large download!

ChrisCar6
16-02-2012, 00:03
I found some freeware software, so I'll be mirroring the entire site for accsess at my leasure on a 2nd hard drive. Never done this and hope the program works.... but it IS a very large download!
Keep us posted on this Jeff. How much data is there?

jeffdavison
16-02-2012, 00:08
Don't know how much yet as it's 2 hours and 400MB into the process. Won't know until it's done.
Here is a link to the software for mirroring: http://www.httrack.com/

JD

mudhut
16-02-2012, 00:10
If anybody wants any of my drawings of switches etc, now's your time. I'm going to delete them from that site in three or four days' time.

ducatiman
16-02-2012, 00:44
Is it worth doing the same as what JD is doing stateside for the club here in the UK. I would be have done this at home but stuck in Russia for the next 2 weeks with limited bandwidth on the internet.....................

The Slug
16-02-2012, 00:57
Thanks Peter

The Slug
16-02-2012, 00:57
Is it worth doing the same as what JD is doing stateside for the club here in the UK. I would be have done this at home but stuck in Russia for the next 2 weeks with limited bandwidth on the internet.....................

Its already happening Andy, lets hope it works ok then we can try and work out how you all get to see it again!

ducatiman
16-02-2012, 01:44
Excellent.............................go to the top of the class.....;);)

The Slug
16-02-2012, 09:40
Well....!!!!

Its been running all night and is at over 2gb and still 25000 files to go so lets see what happens....

ProtoTipo
16-02-2012, 09:58
Ian,

Shall I do something too, or will you get everything copied?
I've not got a plan of action.

StruanR
16-02-2012, 10:17
Don't know how much yet as it's 2 hours and 400MB into the process. Won't know until it's done.
Here is a link to the software for mirroring: http://www.httrack.com/

JD
Yep,
My computer is running that!
Let's hope one of us gets it right...
Struan

The Slug
16-02-2012, 10:18
Every man for himself here and hopefully between all of us we may have something useful so go for it Chris.

ProtoTipo
16-02-2012, 10:37
I wasn't really thinking about a mass data download for myself.
My broadband speed is a joke.

After we've grabbed as much as possible, I think we may need a Supersite to new forum thread 'wish list'.
And a volunteer to edit each one.
I'm going to do the (Hawk) wiper one for starters.
There's such a lot of 'grabbing' to to first though?

ChrisC
16-02-2012, 11:05
Ian, I am a numpty when it comes to computers. I have tried using your method of saving a complete thread but I am getting knowhere. Can you explain one more time.

ChrisC

ChrisCar6
16-02-2012, 11:26
Lot of activity on the old site - real interested people or spambots?

Bernard
16-02-2012, 13:19
I have downloaded all original stratos pics from the gallery

will do another category from the gallery now !!

Cheers

Phil

Bernard
16-02-2012, 14:05
I now have a copy of ALL photo's from the section Stratos Main Gallery/Original and Replica sections.

I have not done Member Galleries

Cheers

Phil

Will let you have them Ian when I get them onto a CD

Cheers

phil

Marcolino
16-02-2012, 16:33
Hello Ian,

i will make a complete image of the site, starting this evening. The data will be sent via DVD!

Marcus

Bodie
16-02-2012, 17:22
Great job Ian! Thanks!!

But for some reason I can´t find the site!?! Is it somehow restricted to Britain or something like that??
Wanted to try to download some stuff and add my share to the upcoming "download-collection" !!

Regards
Michael

The Slug
16-02-2012, 17:47
Not as far as I know www.stratossupersite.com/forum (http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum)

Bodie
16-02-2012, 18:12
Thanks again!! The link works, Google search doesn´t!! ???

ChrisCar6
16-02-2012, 18:14
Probably because its been offline for so long

The Slug
16-02-2012, 23:47
THe site copy is still running 24hr and counting and over 5.2gb downloaded, hope your getting what you need, I really dont want to stop this to try copying any extra threads.

jeffdavison
17-02-2012, 02:06
GOT IT!!!!

I have the whole Superstratos web on my hardrive...
Now to go play with it and check it out! just to make sure it all works and the links and pics are accsesable.

JD

jeffdavison
17-02-2012, 05:23
After more than 24 hours, the program for all intents and purposes looked like the entire website was mirrored on my D: drive.
Some pages yes, but other pages were refered back to the original site.
I had thouth that the software would basically mirror the entire site, i.e. copy it verbatim, onto a mirrores site (my hard drive) and would be able to accsess it as if it were the original.
It doesn't seem to be working that way :(

I disconected my computer from the internet to see if it would accsess all the info from my hard drive, but the browser would give me messages that there was no connection. The URL of the pages should be readind D:\\ the path on my drive to the files but was just showing the url of the original location.... a bit frustrating.

While some of the pages are on my hard drive, seems like it wasn't up to what I was expecting. Maybe I'm missing something but with about 6 GB of data being d'ld and over a day doing it, I thought there would be more.
Some more studying is in order methinks.... dang.

JD

jeffdavison
17-02-2012, 05:47
OK... it seems to have worked in a non expected way, but I do have it all. The program saves everthing in a sub folder on my D: drive.
Save ALL the pics. And the threads are accsesable. It's all in HTML format.. Just have to go directly to the folder in the directory instead of using the mirror software to get at it.

edit... not quite all there, but a lot is... need more time to play with it.

JD

ChrisCar6
17-02-2012, 10:50
24hrs and 3.9Gb so far here! Guess I'm exceeding my download limit this month!

ProtoTipo
17-02-2012, 11:44
Well done, all you downloaders.

Thank you.

Monte76
17-02-2012, 12:28
Yes ditto that from me, I've downloaded some small sections but hat's off to everyone downloading the entire site, good to know all that knowledge will not now be lost.

Thank you,

Vince.

ChrisCar6
18-02-2012, 14:00
I think I've got it all on my pooter now 33 hours and 5.3 Gb!
Not easy to use from the hard drive so far - all the links still point to the online version rather than the internal version.
But I hope all the info is in there somewhere!

The Slug
18-02-2012, 15:40
try going to the main part of the forum and see how many threads you have I have only 2!!! so have no idea where all the rest have gone!!

ProtoTipo
18-02-2012, 16:25
Does that have anything to do with the 'last 75 days' default Ian?
As shown on the actual forum right now?

You can list for longer periods.

mudhut
18-02-2012, 16:50
Don't know about the time thing Chris.

At the moment, I'm doing the galleries - all in one go. I'm in 1day 6hours, just under 100,000 files, 3.36 GBytes and one error so I hope I'm getting something that I can actually access! No idea how much longer it has to go but at 50000 B/s it's pretty damned slow. Don't know if B/s is bits or Bytes/sec. Sure hope it's Bytes.

Pity there was no time to experiment with the settings before starting off. I've a feeling that the depth to which links are follwed has a very significant impact on the process so I'm off to do some testing before the galleries are complete or my router starts to smoke or my ISP pulls the plug...

StruanR
18-02-2012, 17:05
Danger is trying to download Youtube vids etc and other links, probably slowing the whole thing down. Yes, knowing the settings could make a huge difference...
My download has been interrupted a couple of times when the computer decided to shut down for windows updates, so I'm not too hopeful my end.
I've saved a few web pages, just in case!
Struan

mudhut
18-02-2012, 17:28
I'm going to try a small test before I do the next chunk. The galleries have just finished and it might looks like it might work - although I'm not able to access my own photos, everybody else's seems OK. Will have to disconnect from the web to test properly of course.

The "limits" tab on the options can be used to crank up the download speed. It defaulted to 25,000 B/s but was fine at home set to 50k B/s. The control panel in HTtrack confirmed the increased performance. You can even change it while downloading.

I'm going to try to exclude any videos. Thinking of restricting depth to 3 links and see what happens - if it works then good, if not and I run out of time then somebody else will have it all, I hope!

ProtoTipo
18-02-2012, 17:44
It shows how much stuff there is on there?

Thanks again for your efforts, Peter, Struan.

mudhut
18-02-2012, 18:25
A lot of it is just guff Chris - borders, misc images to construct the page etc, etc.

I've also fallen foul of the "only two threads showing" problem. I've always had my settings so that I can see all threads and I've checked this by logging into the site. I can also include a username and password in HTTrack's process of setting up the download but this doesn't resolve the problem - I can still only download the two recent threads. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Meanwhile I'm going to see if I can download the whole forum thing (as opposed to just the Stratos Forum) - if it makes any difference.

ChrisCar6
18-02-2012, 18:57
Among the stuff that downloaded, there's a folder www.stratossupersite.com (http://www.stratossupersite.com) and in that there's a folder "forum". In that there's a folder "archive" which seems to contain threads intact, but how you index / search them I've no idea!

mudhut
18-02-2012, 19:08
I'll have to wait and see. Not exactly sure what I've done and as I've made several changes, I'm not entirely sure I ever will.

I've not tried at any time to capture the whole www.stratossupersite.com - just www.stratossupersite.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 (http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2) (the main discussion forum). I thought I had the password thing correct., but just got two threads.

Instead, I've created a new project and gone for www.stratossupersite.com/forum (http://www.stratossupersite.com/forum) (all of them) and followed HTTrack's directions to grab the settings (by temporarily setting the proxy to my own local IP etc., etc). Somewhere in amongst all that it's working.

Now I wait... and wait...

Marcolino
18-02-2012, 19:59
I´ve got 5.65 GB and over 170000 files at the moment and the image download of the whole site is still in progress!
Has anyone got an information at the moment how much it is at all ... ?

Marcus

ChrisCar6
18-02-2012, 20:11
The folder on my drive says 2.27Gb, 515 folders and 33291 files. I seem to have downloaded various video files.
Don't know where the rest of the 5+ Gb I downloaded is!

The Slug
18-02-2012, 20:12
Does that have anything to do with the 'last 75 days' default Ian?
As shown on the actual forum right now?

You can list for longer periods.

It does have something to do with that yes, but like others I have changed it to show all threads and included the user id and password but just the same. so now have types in the URL of all 153 pages and set it off again so lets hope this works or we will be out of time, daft thing is you only get 2 threads but all the pics like 1000's of them!!

1 Day to go so lets hope

Same as you guy download told me 5.9gb and noe just over 2gb, maybe its the temp files it creats when trying to trace the threads?

StruanR
19-02-2012, 00:24
Yes I've only got 2 threads.
Could the last 75 default day be set now?
We might not be able to turn it off.... Only current threads can be extracted...

ChrisCar6
19-02-2012, 01:40
As I said, i seem to have all the threads, it's just you can't access them from the index in the on-line way.

mudhut
19-02-2012, 02:25
We might not be able to turn it off.... Only current threads can be extracted...

Oh I hope not. We have to be able to access and navigate them more easily than what Chris has found.

Downloading the forums now: 7 hours 40 min, 2.5 Gbyte, 37k files so a while to go yet then, I'd guess. Wasn't going to bother with the top level pages - www.stratossupersite.com, only the forum and galleries.

Marcolino
19-02-2012, 08:02
I am doing a second download, converting the php files automtically into html files.

Maybe navigation and access works better then.

BAS
19-02-2012, 09:34
Hi Peter,

Will these be lost forever, or are you going to upload them to this site?

If anybody wants any of my drawings of switches etc, now's your time. I'm going to delete them from that site in three or four days' time.

mudhut
19-02-2012, 10:45
I don't think I can delete them Brent. When the site first opened up again, I started to delete my PMs in an attempt to limit exposure of personal data etc. I got some way into this and then it stopped working. Now I find that I cannot access PMs at all and the edit button on posts is missing - perhaps it's just for me!

Anybody is welcome to copy them and use them in any way they see fit (subject to some conditions, below) but I have to find somewhere to host them and I don't want to have to maintain two sets of them while hosted in two different places. Unfortunately they probably cannot be hosted here due to two reasons:

1. The club claims copyright on all material posted here - I cannot allow this as I've put too much work into them to lose control in this way.
2. The club may place restrictions on who can access them - either as registered users or paid members. This is not acceptable to me. The old site was perfect because it never did.

Just haven't found a home for them that's car-related and relevant. The classic Lambo forum (mostly USA) is a possibility. They'd need to have a GNU type license to prevent charging for them - something along the lines of Wikipedia but I haven't looked into it. As the saying goes, "let no good deed go unpunished".

Meanwhile, if folk want them, just ask. They won't be lost for all time Brent - are you on FIAT group that could host and that would meet my requirements?

mudhut
19-02-2012, 10:51
I am doing a second download, converting the php files automtically into html files.

Maybe navigation and access works better then.

This sounds like a good idea. Are you able to say if it is a slower process?

mudhut
19-02-2012, 10:58
The server is now at its bandwidth limit and my transferrate has collapsed to 18kB/s.:(

StruanR
19-02-2012, 11:01
Looks like it's over, yes...

Cadami
19-02-2012, 11:02

Is this due to a cookie issue? If you go to the site and don't log on you'll only be able to view the 2 new threads. Log on and you'll view all the threads.... Can't log onto my mirror imagine probably as the authentication isn't available.. Been reading the FAQ's but hasn't helped me!!

The Slug
19-02-2012, 13:39
maybe we all need to keep of it and let thoses downloading try and get the full site

mudhut
19-02-2012, 13:57
The site is still up - accessed it a few seconds ago for a little look. By the time I'd got round to configuring the downloader, it's operating at full bandwidth again.

Could be hundreds trying to download all this.

jeffdavison
19-02-2012, 19:50
Yesterday I tried a different mirroring freeware program... called "Pagenest". It seems to have captured the entire forum. It saves it in it's own proprietary format, but from within the Pagenest program, the forum looks like and can be accses as if it were the forum itself. All the pics that were attached to the threads are where they are supposed to be and extenal links seem to work fine, tho it does use (on my machine) the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser to do so. (I prefer Firefox, but can live with this, I will explore the Pagenest program some more to see if I can change the default bowser it uses). I have been able to go all the way back to the first posts that were made in 2002. All the pages for each thread are there and accsesable.
HTTrack seems a bit of a kludge to get to the info, but Pagenest (so far) seems to have done it's job.
Just a note also, the Pagenest program used to go by the name "Web Stripper".

JD

peteracs
19-02-2012, 20:14
hi All

First a big thanks to those who are trying to do something to rescue the old site, it would have been criminal not to retain the info.

Just a quick question, is there a plan once we have a coherent copy of the site to have it hosted as an 'extra' to this site?

i guess that will mean a fairly large upgrade to it's size?

Peter

The Slug
19-02-2012, 20:20
If I can get it to work on the forum I will, It may be a while before I can do that, and it may not work as "A FORUM" like this one but hopefully we will sort something out but at least we might have a copy of the data.

Bernard
19-02-2012, 20:22
many thanks to the computor wizards amongst us .......... Just shows how computor literate I am........ all those F**KING photos that i downloaded were done one at a time !!!!!!!............. what a twat !!!

You can all take the pith next time you see me !!!!..........will log off now and get pithed !!!!................. LOL LOL

Great stuff you guys

cheers

Anonimouse

Marcolino
20-02-2012, 12:47
This sounds like a good idea. Are you able to say if it is a slower process?

I think it is (was) a little bit slower. My html download stopped yesterday in the afternoon ... server bandwith limit exceeded! I will try to start again ...

My first download is converting the file structure at the moment. Will have a look on it later.

Anyone has got a complete image of the site?

ChrisCar6
21-02-2012, 12:18
For the last 36 hours I've been getting only the "bandwidth exceeded" page. Has it finally gone?
How many successful downloads have we? I've got what seemed to be all of it in the format produced by HTTrack.

Cadami
21-02-2012, 13:25
It's offline due to over subsciption.......... Same during the Top Gear period.

NoCorseChris
21-02-2012, 13:50
Probably a bit late now...but it would have made sense to organise this so lots of us weren't all hitting it at once.....and thus triggering the bandwidth cap.

StruanR
21-02-2012, 13:53
I think so, but could not be predicted...:confused:
Struan

ChrisCar6
05-03-2012, 09:35
I've just managedto clear my PM cache Peter, so you might be able to continue now.

I don't think I can delete them Brent. When the site first opened up again, I started to delete my PMs in an attempt to limit exposure of personal data etc. I got some way into this and then it stopped working. Now I find that I cannot access PMs at all and the edit button on posts is missing - perhaps it's just for me!

Anybody is welcome to copy them and use them in any way they see fit (subject to some conditions, below) but I have to find somewhere to host them and I don't want to have to maintain two sets of them while hosted in two different places. Unfortunately they probably cannot be hosted here due to two reasons:

1. The club claims copyright on all material posted here - I cannot allow this as I've put too much work into them to lose control in this way.
2. The club may place restrictions on who can access them - either as registered users or paid members. This is not acceptable to me. The old site was perfect because it never did.

Just haven't found a home for them that's car-related and relevant. The classic Lambo forum (mostly USA) is a possibility. They'd need to have a GNU type license to prevent charging for them - something along the lines of Wikipedia but I haven't looked into it. As the saying goes, "let no good deed go unpunished".

Meanwhile, if folk want them, just ask. They won't be lost for all time Brent - are you on FIAT group that could host and that would meet my requirements?

mudhut
05-03-2012, 18:31
I can't even see anything to do with messages in control panel any more Chris - I suspect somebody noticed I was deleting PMs and blocked my access completely. I don't appear in the members list even though I appear to be able to log in. I can access My photos once in the photo gallery section but although I appear in the list in member galleries and there's a date for my last upload, there's no picture and so no way into my gallery by that route.

Don't know what's happened but it's a bit academic now really. Just looking for a place to host my drawings.

Cadami
05-03-2012, 22:36
Deleted all my PM's this afternoon without any hassle. Browser cache or set up?

mudhut
06-03-2012, 18:43
I'm on IE8. Cleared cache several times.

No idea what's happened - I think my account is simply damaged. My site download only showed the two most recent threads again, despite over 12 GByte of data. Deleting it all now.

Just going to rely on Ian's efforts for the old stuff.

The Slug
06-03-2012, 22:28
When everyone has finished trying to download the site, and if no one has been lucky enough to do it, and the site is still up I will type in the 153 lines of text needed to copy it but I'm not going to do it again only to find we run out of bandwidth.

The Slug
13-03-2012, 13:42
can anyone access the site? I have tried from work but it looks like from here the site has gone.

turbonutter
13-03-2012, 14:12
Looks like its gone......:(

The Slug
13-03-2012, 17:17
Never mind we all had a last chance......