PDA

View Full Version : IVA age related

pim
16-03-2012, 09:35
Is it stil possible to get age related registrations with IVA.
I got age related with my Hawk via SVA but maybe that is changed now??
If it is possible, which parts of the donor car you need?

Cheers, Pim

john
16-03-2012, 09:40
As far as I know you can still get an age related plate under the IVA system.
You need two major units from the donor to qualify. Engine and gearbox count as two.
The testing process (SVA/IVA) is a seperate entity to registration. Registration is dependent upon passing the test of course, but the registration process has not changed much.
Someone may know better?

Sando
16-03-2012, 11:02
Only thing to add John is that to claim the two major components, the V5 document is required, so that the age of the donor can be claimed. Without it you would not be able to get the age related registration.

Copies were used with the SVA paperwork ( dont belive the process has changed for IVA) and then when put through the registration process the details were checked -engine number etc for getting an age related plate.
Rob

catswhiskers
16-03-2012, 11:22
Watch this space. I'm hoping to find out in about 4-6 weeks time.:)
I already have the V5 and engine & gearbox to count as the major items. As far as I'm aware, nothing has changed from the SVA so age related is still available.

Mick

john
16-03-2012, 12:38
Thanks for the clarification, boys.

Cadami
16-03-2012, 19:16
That was my experience in 2010. The only issue was the donor car engine number did not match the V5 so I contacted Fiat to provide a letter confirming the engine build date.
The only anomaly for me is the inconsistency of registration. My V5 shows date of 1st registration and date of 1st registration in UK as 2010. I've got 3 years before an MOT. I'm sure I can also muck around with age related reg plates too.
I believe Struan had a different experience with dates and MOT.

john
16-03-2012, 20:49
Yes, always worth checking that your donor V5 and your engine have the same number!
There is nothing to stop you changing the engine number on your V5 while the car is SORN'd.
When you register a donor in your name you have the opportunity to change any vehicle details.
Lets face it that's a good time to change the engine number. It never actually has to physically go in the car does it?!
For instance what would the possibility of buying a late 70' or early 80's GTV and putting a 166 or 156 engine number on the logbook. Who would check it? So you can have an authenticly aged plate (not quite, I'll admit) and a modern engine/box.

turbonutter
16-03-2012, 21:17
They are getting more strict on changes to the V5 when I changed the Engine in my car, the good old DVLA wanted the receipt from the garage that had done the job, or a report from the AA/RAC to say that the car had the engine in it that I said......
I ended up getting a letter from my local garage (on their headed paper) to say that they had inspected the car and that it was indeed fitted with the engine that i had said.....

john
16-03-2012, 22:45
Just to change the engine number on the V5 neil?
You did not have a donor car involved in that engine swap tho'?

turbonutter
16-03-2012, 23:16
Yep Just to change the Engine number when I put in the GTA engine - OK I also changed the Capacity. My last car when i changed from twin cam to v6 I just sent in the V5 and no problem. This time did the same & got the V5 back unchanged then 2 days later a letter saying that to change the engine I needed to provide proof in the form of a receipt from the garage that did the job, on headed paper, or a report from the RAC or AA (they charge £200, I asked).....

Decided to try with a report from my local garage, on headed paper saying that they had looked at the car & it was fitted with engine no######, Type ##### , with Capacity ######. It cost me a donation to the tea & biscuit fund.... And was accepted by the DVLA. Even the garage guy couldnt understand why they wanted a letter!

Changed the colour last time I was home and that was no problem....

john
17-03-2012, 09:29
OK, Neil, thanks for clarifying that.
I love to challenge stuff like this. I would have been tempted to write back and say "I fitted the engine myself" and ask what they proposed to do in those circumstances.
Petty maybe, but it's stuff like this which adds up to more erosion of our freedoms than actual bills going through parliament do. They are open to scrutiny, civil servants are'nt!
God, that's a bit philosophical for a saturday morning isn't it?

ChrisCar6
17-03-2012, 12:04
They'd probably insist that you get a inspection report from somebody.

StruanR
17-03-2012, 18:42
That was my experience in 2010. The only issue was the donor car engine number did not match the V5 so I contacted Fiat to provide a letter confirming the engine build date.
The only anomaly for me is the inconsistency of registration. My V5 shows date of 1st registration and date of 1st registration in UK as 2010. I've got 3 years before an MOT. I'm sure I can also muck around with age related reg plates too.
I believe Struan had a different experience with dates and MOT.

Yes, I had inconsistent rulings with my cars, one ended up being registered as new, one as age of donor, requiring annual MOT!

DVLA ruling
(http://www.stratosec.com/www.stratossupersite.com/forum/showthread8e8b.html?t=7624&page=18)
This link, taking you to the IVA thread on the old site, covers a lot of the IVA info, still useful for anyone going that route.