PDA

View Full Version : Fiat X1/9

Martin Crikey
16-04-2012, 23:12
I've managed to get hold X1/9, its a seems a shame to break it as the guy I got it from has start doing it up but it was free so what can you do. Anyway to pay the scrap man for the lend of his trailer for a day he gets what's left. What will I need off of it so I can get get squared up, will the steering column fit in a Hawk?
Thanks for any help
Martin

Guy Mayers
16-04-2012, 23:59
Targa catches and hooks from the front of the roof.
Door handles with backing plates, latch mechanism and B post catches.
Headlamp nests, rings, raising links and motors.
Boot & engine cover release levers, keys, especially if you've got the full set. Also worth keeping the catches and cables from the front boot & engine cover.
Rocker switches if it's a 1300 (doubt it though!)
Steering column, ignition lock and column switchgear - label the connections if they're all working before you dismantle it! The column and intermediate shaft will probably fit!
The fusebox if it's a 16 row old style fuse as opposed to the blade type fuses. (Same as Gp4).
The wiring loom if you're considering building your own! If you're not it's still worth retrieving the battery cable which will run from the front to back of the car, someone will be able to use it to relocate a battery to the front of their Stratos.
I know Geoff Turton used an X19 pedal box complete with master cylinders when he built it but I don't know of anyone else that has done this. The master cylinders may be worth saving, I used the clutch one with the 164 slave cylinder.
The speedo cable is probably a two part affair, it might be long enough to fit the Stratos if you haven't got one yet. There are two types of instrument end fitting, clip and screw so keep it if it's screw as it'll fit the 124/Dino gauges.
Also save all the fuses, light bulbs and any decent nuts & bolts - all useful stuff!
Stainless steel expansion tank if there's one there? Radiator too - although it may only be good for reconditioning I've never had an overheating problem with a stock X19 and Alfa V6 12v.
Handbrake lever? I've used one under the dash as per Gp4..
Rear view mirror.

Ebay what's left of the interior and trim and scrap the shell.

There's bound to be something obvious I've missed!

Martin Crikey
18-04-2012, 22:24
Thanks Guy for that list of bits. I may have double of somethings now as there was a well rotted one in a local scrap yard which I got door catches and roof catches from, also a radiator which was in good nick.
Thanks again
Martin