PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Southern California

bobbydazzler
02-06-2012, 00:34
For the last two weeks or so I've been bitten badly by the desire to own a Stratos. I've been smitten by them since I was a little boy and for no good reason it's gotten back under my skin. I'm still a good ways away from making the jump to buy a Hawk or Lister Bell kit, but I figure that it's a good time to research as much as I can. My wife might not agree with me as the daily "Oh, did I tell you this about the Stratos..." conversations keep happening, but she understands that I need to indulge this passion. I've bought a second book on the history of the car and I'm refinishing an 18th scale model to ease the pain. As an Architect with my first degree in Automotive Design, I've even drawn exterior views in AutoCAD and have a full size print hanging in my garage as of last night. It's just there to compare it's size to my Mini Cooper S, yeah, right!

Is there any one on the West Coast that has either a Hawk or Lister Bell? I would love to see one in person as I've only seen two Stratos in the flesh in my entire life. I would love to find out if I actually fit in the little beastie. I've driven a couple of Lotus Elise's and I'm guessing that they are roughly comparable in interior dimensions. Drop me a line if you're in the region, I'd love to talk your build and living with the car.

Cheers,

Rob

tipo158
02-06-2012, 03:39
Well, not a Lister Bell, but there is a Napier Sport Corse with a Lister Bell body in Vancouver, WA. I have an older Napier Sport/CAE/Litton Corse, I live in Sammamish, WA. The Vancouver car is getting close to completion, I'm still a ways off.

Paul
02-06-2012, 19:49
Steve Ramm had his Hawk kit for sale in So.Cal (Santa Ana) late last year. Not sure if it sold or he still has it. Might be worth reaching out to him to find out the status.

See here:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/09/20/bat-exclusive-1997-hawk-hf3000-lancia-stratos-kit/

Otherwise, as Corky mentions, the Pacific NW is the next closest option (as least that I know about)

Best Regards
Paul

bobbydazzler
05-06-2012, 01:38
Thanks for the info Paul and Corky. I saw that listing on BaT a couple of weeks ago, but I assumed that it was sold due to the age of the ad. I'll probably reach out to him and see if he still has it. I can't think about buying yet as I'm deep in the middle of renovating a house.
Cheers,
Rob

mudhut
16-12-2012, 11:10
I would love to find out if I actually fit in the little beastie. I've driven a couple of Lotus Elise's and I'm guessing that they are roughly comparable in interior dimensions.
Rob

Hello and welcome.

You won't find a Stratos any problem for fit if you have found that an Elise can accommodate you. The Stratos is also much easier to enter and especially to exit as there's no huge sill section to get across and to drop over. Getting out is positive pleasure in comparison with an Elise (even with the roof off).

ProtoTipo
16-12-2012, 13:25
Getting out is positive pleasure in comparison with an Elise (even with the roof off).

If you're basing that on a VX220 Peter, the S2 Elise and VX220s have lowered sills. The S1 has the original non modified chassis side height. It's like trying to get in and out of someone's house using the letterbox.

mudhut
16-12-2012, 15:05
Yes Chris. The comment was based on my son's VX220. Much as I love the look of the S1 Elise, I think I'd find it too much of a hassle to keep getting in and out of and I'm only a bit bigger than you!

GrahamH
17-12-2012, 14:30
Rob, I fitted in an Elise fine, but struggle in the strat with crash helmet and head room, fine without a helmet and a standard seat. The roof line and curve in, is so severe on the strat and with a the roll bar it makes it a little tight on the head , im 6ft 1. Knees also a tad close up around the column with a full bucket seat. One of the few times I wish I was short. Theres no way im not driving it tho, I will adapt, im sure a few rally boys have had to too.