PDA

View Full Version : What's New? List

ProtoTipo
07-06-2012, 09:01
I've now got a different view setting on the What's New? list (bigger icons etc.).

Anyone got any idea how I can get it back as it was before?

STR_Strat
07-06-2012, 09:14
There's me thinking it was something I did after a couple of beers last night.

My "whats new" view has changed also, so I guess it was a forum change.

Dave

turbonutter
07-06-2012, 09:21
Looks like a forum change, also when I go to the forum, I get the new page directly without having to click whats new...

peteracs
07-06-2012, 09:28
Hi All

Yes, looks like forum update. I also get asked if I want use a specific app on the iPad now when I use the forum.

Peter

turbonutter
07-06-2012, 09:35
Just been looking and the whats new button now links to the activity stream in the toolbar at the top of the page, next to that is a button for new posts, I assume that that would give the old style whats new screen, but I need someone to post something to check it out.....

STR_Strat
07-06-2012, 09:43
There you go Neil.

Jeff
07-06-2012, 10:01
caught me out too :)

STR_Strat
07-06-2012, 10:11
I seem to have lost the link to the gallery as well.

turbonutter
07-06-2012, 10:11
There you go Neil.

Yep, that works, to get to the old list of new posts click on the new posts in the toolbar logical really :)

The Slug
07-06-2012, 10:19
Sorry if it has confused people but you have to keep moving with the times....helps stop the little spammers!

Peteracs can you try and post a pic from your ipad now please? it may not work still, I need to get the committee to let me buy the next package whilst its discounted, then it will do lots of new things.....

Ian

peteracs
07-06-2012, 11:14
Hi Ian

Will do when I have the app installed etc.

Not wanting to dampen your enthusiasm, but can I suggest you announce if any updates are going to happen and ideally, if possible, outline what changes are likely.

Having been in he computer industry since the late 70s, change is a given, but for many folk all they want is a predictable user interface which they use day in day out and relearning what to do is not part of the plan.

Having said that I particularly like the activity stream which saves all the back and forth with new posts and you may see something which you thought was uninteresting actually have a post which you do want to read...

Thanks for your efforts and take your point on spammers.

Peter

The Slug
07-06-2012, 14:10
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the feed back.
There was an announcement on the site for a week before I made the change, if people are not seeing that then let me know and I can make sure you cant get way from it next time...lol
As for telling you what has changed I can't, as basically its all double dutch to me, I don't chose what is in the release I only install it when they tell me to, as you say change is a way of life in computing terms, glad you have found your way around the new forum, and thanks to Neil for being quick to work out how to make it look like before.

I will see if I can find the changes and will put it on here for you all to have a look at, you can tell me then whats happened......lol

OK this is what is in the new release, please feel free to educate us on what the heck it means!!!

The release contains:

Activity Stream -
Navigation Manager -
Members who have Visited Today -
Cron-based Batch Email Sending -
UserCP Reputation Display -
Reputation Notification -
User Profile Reputation Display -
Who has Read a Thread -
Doublepost Prevention -
Enhanced Reputation Checks -
Updated Readme.
Integration with Post Release -
Ian

peteracs
07-06-2012, 15:15
Hi Ian

Ah, sorry missed the announcement, hence the comment. I do now understand that you are offered the update and it is a take it or leave it and you have to make a choice without necessarily knowing the full ins and outs. I for one am happy for you to make that choice given that someone has to and you are prepared to give your free time to it.

All the best and hope the car is coming on from when I saw it at Stoneleigh.

Peter

The Slug
07-06-2012, 15:51
Thanks Peter,

Can anyone tell me if they saw the announcement please? if not then I need to let you all know some other way.

Yes finished extending and shortening the front loom as I needed it, then realised I forgot about the spots....Dhoooo ..are well, whats another loom to make, just need to decide how many switches I want for them.
Next the steering loom but I need to ask Mudhut to help identify my steering column and connections.
Need to find some better heatshrink the stuff from AES is rubbish compaired to others I have used in the past.
Ian

turbonutter
07-06-2012, 16:04
I saw an announcement that the forum was due to be upgraded....

peteracs
07-06-2012, 17:20
Hi Ian

Glad it is moving on. For heatshrink I have always used Farnell in the past for all my electrical/electronic small volume bits, see farnell.co.uk. Never the cheapest, but normally good quality branded stuff and a whole lot cheaper than RS.

As to the meaning of the updates, will make a stab at them. Feel free anyone to correct me.

Activity Stream - Lists recent posts in chronological order together with headings
Navigation Manager - No idea - maybe management tool?
Members who have Visited Today - Management info?
Cron-based Batch Email Sending - Maybe last version sent emails immediately and now they are batched together for sending every so often (Cron manages running jobs at certain times during the day/week/year), I guess this is used for the notifications when someone adds to a thread you have posted to.
UserCP Reputation Display - No idea, is reputation a new concept in this version?
Reputation Notification - ditto
User Profile Reputation Display - ditto
Who has Read a Thread - Management info?
Doublepost Prevention - Checks for double posting same reply/post I guess
Enhanced Reputation Checks - Ditto above re reputation
Updated Readme. - Either updated Readme for update OR Readme for online help.
Integration with Post Release - No idea what Post Release, but obviously integrated with it!!!

Peter

The Slug
07-06-2012, 17:49
Well thanks for that stab Peter its all as clear as night now.....lol

Told you its a load of double dutch, so long as it works I'm happy.;)

Guy Mayers
07-06-2012, 20:56
I saw the update message at the weekend too. Since the update I'm clicking on the "Forum" button at the top and then the "new post" option below it to bring up the screen that looks like the original one for new posts.

Guy

ProtoTipo
07-06-2012, 23:48
Since the update I'm clicking on the "Forum" button at the top and then the "new post" option below it to bring up the screen that looks like the original one for new posts.
Guy

Thanks for that Guy. I tried that, and it works.