Blog Comments

Quote Originally Posted by LM mic
    Hello Neil
    That's not bad at all , really !!!
    473BHP and the power spread as shown is more than acceptable and this can be drove on tracks easily and with good efficienty on chassis makes avery quick car !!!
    I can tell you that when we where imporving the VENTURI's 6 cyl PRV for Le mans after this figures our engines where blowing out one after another ( Brand owners wanted 500 and more to compet with Porsches !!
    Drivers where telling that 470 and agood chassis was kicker than any 911 turbo !!!!! ( exept on Hunaudieres !!!) and we where much more reliable with this 1 bar boost

Good work done !! Bravo
    Its good for now - over 400bhp from 4750rpm to mor or less the rev limiter.

The only changes i am thinking of are to the turbo, to get more boost lower down & for faster spool...

But for now its just time to enjoy it
    Hello Neil
    That's not bad at all , really !!!
    473BHP and the power spread as shown is more than acceptable and this can be drove on tracks easily and with good efficienty on chassis makes avery quick car !!!
    I can tell you that when we where imporving the VENTURI's 6 cyl PRV for Le mans after this figures our engines where blowing out one after another ( Brand owners wanted 500 and more to compet with Porsches !!
    Drivers where telling that 470 and agood chassis was kicker than any 911 turbo !!!!! ( exept on Hunaudieres !!!) and we where much more reliable with this 1 bar boost

Good work done !! Bravo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan
    So turbo at 1bar just about exactly doubles peak power without turbo? As you say, 'conservative'.

Very nice result indeed!
    I think that just shows the efficiency of the Alfa 24V at getting the air into the cylinders - 1 bar is twice the air in the manifold, so twice the power

the power has a nice spread as well..
    So turbo at 1bar just about exactly doubles peak power without turbo? As you say, 'conservative'.

Very nice result indeed!
    HArness all installed and wired to chassis plug - Powered up & no smoke so thats good. Checked a couple of sensors - which seem to wok ok, hopefully a full check tomorrow....
    Looks fabulous - Love the gold finish!
    its not actually leaking, but needs changing for sure! Its a reputable brand as well, so i was surprized!
    Houch !!! That remind me bad experience at le mans 2006 first practice session when all teams noticed same issue whith big quick filling hoses !!! Total delivered that day a new mix and all pits where leaking dangerously fuel on floor ( what a mess !!!!)
    Seems Shell have added same funny additive now ??????
    Updated 31-10-2014 at 05:55 by LM mic
    Hello Neil
    Good luck for you future tests !
    Ok So as always a change of plans. The tuning now will be done on a rolling road - the dyno didnt work out, for a number of reasons.
    The plan now is for a couple of rolling road sessions the first will be without the turbo, to get a good N/A map and set up things like knock control. Then for the second session it will be with the turbo, to map the boost control.

Engine is now in the car, fuel hooked up and tested (just need to change the filler hose) oil & gearbox oil connected.

Driveshafts installed with uprated outer CV's, Gear box cables connected & final tweak of the brackets made. Just waiting on the wiring loom and some parts to make up a section of exhaust pipe to fit in place of the turbo...
    I filled up the tank yesterday, and including the swirl pot it now holds a total of 60L fuel. thats a good 30% more than the old tank held, so well worth the effort.

Checked the level in the tank again today - level was the same, but the fille rhose has bubbled up badly on the inside nearly closing off the hole! So much for fuel resistant hose - The tank is filled with Shell V-Power, so looks like there is something potent in that fuel.....
    The ride on my car if pretty hard, but not as hard as my last car. Arthur used it with these spring rates as a road car.
    The roll isnt too bad, less than with standard springs but I cant really compare, how much less as I have never driven an I with stock springs. For track I would like less roll,. of course if you do fit an anti roll bar, then you need to tweek th esuspension settings as well, as there will be less camber change ......

The best advice is to try it as it is, and see how it feels & if you want, then you can make a change & see if you like it better or not.
    My car seems fine for casual road use - I'll play around with the damper settings a bit more as it does seem to wallow a little on the front, but next adventure for me is to take the car for some track day events. Problem is, I've no idea what a good spring rate might be - ie just leave it as is, and use an anti-roll bar to prevent roll when cornering, or should I go for stiffer springs as my starting point. Your springs are quite a bit stiffer than the stock Corse ones - how do find the general ride quality, and roll in the turns?
    Thanks!
    Paul
    Hi Paul,
    Its very much a work in progress at the moment....... The bar you see is an aftermarket one for a FOrd Sierra, that can be bought in various gauge tube, the arms on the end I have bent to be in the right place.
    That is as far as I have gone at the moment, no link to the front suspension & no testing. The point was to install the bar (this one ia 1") and fit all the other items around it, then when I have time I can progress some more.

To attach to the front suspension I plan to use somthing smilar to listerbell...
    would love to see more details on the anti-roll bar installation, specs (ie stiffness) and how well it works? How did you attach it to the front suspension?
    Did you fit one on the rear also, or front only?
    Phil Lanes is doing the loom - he gave me a good price for the loom together with the ECU. Given the time involved & cost of buying all the wire and connectors if I did it myself, it was a simple descision to let him do it... Plus if I did it then he would have had to check it himself anyway. Also I'm sure he will make a better & neater job than me & if its wrong its not my fault!
    He has just collected my ECU. EGT amp throttle body & Throttle pedal pot, so he can test the loom once finished..
    Updated 25-07-2014 at 23:28 by turbonutter
    Looking good.................who is doing your engine loom for you ?
    As to the route cause there are a number of factors involved - what we know is the engine detonated on multiple cylinders, blowing the head gasket and damaging most of the pistons. Why the detonation is a hard one to pinpoint, but given that it was a hot day, I think we can go with high Inlet air temperature being the cause along with a lack of ignition correction for the high temperatures.

There is a slight possibility that the head gasket blew first and the detonation was an after effect, but I think the det came first. A lack of any logging on that day (dont ask) dosent help to pinpoint any causes..

Another issue could be the use of the Davis Craig pumps as you know they control the water temperature by altering the water flow, which works reasonably well, but with a high power boosted engine it is not only water temperature that is important, the engine also needs to have plenty of flow, especially on full boost. with the DC pumps if the water temp is good (leaving the pits) then the pumps will run minimum speed, then floor the throttle, lots of power, lots of heat and the pumps still on minimum speed, so poor flow through the engine with the possiblity of local hot spots.......

I dont think I will ever know for sure the cause, but a lot of the work I have done over the last 10 months has not been directly related to the Blow up, but things I had on the list after running the car for a couple of years.

The following has been done that isnt related:

Fabricate - new Gear Lever/Linkage/etc
    New Larger Capacity fuel tank, this required relocation of the low pressure fuel pump & Charge cooler pump.
    Remove SOlid state Battery isolater & install mechanical one (Solid state one died)
    Remove Lifeline Electric fire extinguisher & fit FEV mechanical one (new extinguisher was cheaper than a service for the lifeline)
    Install front Anti Roll Bar (in progress)

Under the front clam was also tidied up to make room for a Water /MEOH tank (was going to use Water injection, but now the plan is to see how the mapping goes & then decide- but there is space for the tank)
    This involved:
    Relocating the battery inside the car
    Re Plumbing the Charge Cooler Radiator both at the fron and rear of the car to keep the flow direction the same through the radiator.
    Re Locating the heater fan.

Connected with the Blow Up:
    Remove the 2 DC pumps and fin one Stewart Components pump
    Re-Fit the Alfa Mechanical pump
    Overhaul the engine :
    New Pistons
    New Gaskets
    Head Skim
    New (used) Liners which have a 1mm Stainless wire o-ring in a groove in the top

New ECU as the Haltech was lacking some functions & has poor logging.
    With The new ECU I have gone for COP, using Audi Coils, Twin Lambda Sensors & 3 EGT sensors + Fly by wire & Traction control. As well as a number of extra sensors for logging (oil temp, oil pressure, charge cooler water in/out temp charge cooler air in temp, fuel pressure, exhaust pressure & ambient temperature....

The new engine loom will be made by Phil Lanes who will be doing the mapping of the AET ECU....

ENgine is built now, clutch on and gearbox on - but that is it now until I am back from work next time.....
    Out with friends today so will reply tomorrow... With dom theories. ....
    Did you find the route cause after all this time and work? I know you had an idea, was that proved to be correct?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast