Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: 037 Recreation

Site Supporter

Re: 037 Recreation

B series Honda engines turn counter clockwise, but they are the only modern engines I know of with that configuration - there are probably various pre-war oddities as well.

Perhaps it all goes back to the Starting Handle and the majority of people being right handed. Perhaps the Honda engine was designed by a left handed person, or am I being discriminatory?
    Last edited by Longtimefan; 13-05-2019 at 19:44.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    The Porsche transaxle was inverted in Lionels "Evo", supposedly because the Alfa engine ran opposite direction to the Porsche engine.
    Have I got that completely wrong?
    And that did require an oil pump, cooler and breather system.
    As Chris says the Porsche 911 is rear engined with a forward mounted gearbox (transaxle). In the Porsche the input shaft is quite high because of the flat 6 engine requiring space underneath it for the exhaust manifolds etc.
    If you were to spin the box round to suit the mid engined rear facing gearbox without inverting it then you end up with 1 forward and 6 reverse gears.
    In a mid engined low ground clearance tarmac/road/sports cars such as the Gt40, Ultima, T70 etc where I have seen the Porsche box used then it is advantageous to have the box inverted so that the pinion shaft (and subsequently diff and output flanges) is 75mm above the input shaft/crank height as this gives a much better angle on the driveshafts. In the Napiersport EVO then it did not need an oil system but it was probably deemed advantageous to fit one. A breather system was required for sure. The later Getrag Porsche Gt2 & Gt3 boxes did have an internal oil system (& an external heat exchanger) and this did need to be modified to function once the box was inverted
    On the 037 which was a rally car and therefore probably ran more ground clearance then it would be better to have the output flanges below the input shaft to get a better range of travel for the driveshafts.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

[QUOTE=pim;45365]
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    Both expensive!

i think over 15.000 Euros now
    Renault UN 1 are cheaper and often used on old GT40 replica as my Dax one...Isn’t possible to fit on the engine of your Lancia 037 build?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6738EA49-2E02-426A-9C65-F8E29536F381.jpg  
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 13-05-2019 at 19:10.

[QUOTE=Stratie.fr;45389]
    Quote Originally Posted by pim View Post

Renault UN 1 are cheaper and often used on old GT40 replica as my Dax one...Isn’t possible to fit on the engine of your Lancia 037 build?
    The Renault option is pretty outdated now and they were never that strong in the first place.
    The more acceptable alternative is the Audi 01E or similar from the A4/A6 range. Because they are often TDi derived they can cope with the Torque. What effect this has on the ratios however needs calculating.
    There is a company in Devon who do a range of adapter plates to suit although I suspect one for an 037 is not on the list!!
    Stan Laurel

[QUOTE=Stratie.fr;45389]

The Renault option is pretty outdated now and they were never that strong in the first place.
    The more acceptable alternative is the Audi 01E or similar from the A4/A6 range. Because they are often TDi derived they can cope with the Torque. What effect this has on the ratios however needs calculating.
    There is a company in Devon who do a range of adapter plates to suit although I suspect one for an 037 is not on the list!!
    Stan Laurel

[QUOTE=Strat Fan;45391]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratie.fr View Post
    What is the name of that company?
    Cheers, Pim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luctor et Emergo

with the ZF the crown wheel/ differential can be turned 180 degrees so the engine runs the right way ( gears ). Just like the UN1 i believe?
    Cheers, Pim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luctor et Emergo

with the ZF the crown wheel/ differential can be turned 180 degrees so the engine runs the right way ( gears ). Just like the UN1 i believe?
    I see?
    I'm learning things here.
    I had no idea they went to these extremes for the GT40, but then it stands to reason that they'd want to get that Ford V8 hanging as low as possible.

[QUOTE=pim;45397]
    Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    What is the name of that company?
    I'm guessing this Pim, but Craig will confirm:
    http://www.gtracingonline.co.uk/4.html