Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monza Fuel Filler Caps

Monza Fuel Filler Caps

I'm thinking of changing my old Stradale style fuel filler caps to Monza style, I notice on eBay there's a 2" and a 2.5" version, has anyone fitted these to their car and can recommend a size which fits best?

I'm assuming I'll have to machine my own adaptor or chop the tank a bit and come up with another fitting arrangement - any other easy/neat solutions out there?

Vince.
    "In the beginning I looked around but couldn't find the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself." - Dr. Ing. h.c. Ferry Porsche

www.lancia-stratos.co.uk

Transformer/Hawk HF3000 - Chassis: 1988 Spyder #045 - Engine: Alfa 166 3.0L 24v V6 - ECU: Omex 710 - Exhaust: Simpson - Tyres: Michelin TB15's / Pirelli P7 Corsa - Wheels: Hawk Compomotive.

Re: Monza Fuel Filler Caps

Research time Vince - what size did "your" car have? I suspect that you'll have to modify the rear clip so that you can open the caps without having to open the rear clip!
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    Research time Vince - what size did "your" car have? I suspect that you'll have to modify the rear clip so that you can open the caps without having to open the rear clip!
    Guy
    You're right Guy. The holes will need to be shaped. There's a way of doing this very accurately, or at least, I've thought of a way!

Vince,
    The dark blue car that I had (now 'mudhut's'), had Monza caps. They were so much easier to deal with at filling stations than the Stradale screw on type (that my old orange car had/has).
    Works cars had 'Aston' caps though??
    Having said that, I'd have Monza caps, given the choice. They're really neat.
    I don't know what size the dark blue car's caps were. Maybe Peter can measure them? I remember they had quite a large diameter rubber hose between the cap solid tube and the tube at the top of the tank.

Guy - Yep, already planned for that, the original car had quite a generous semi-oval style opening on each side of the rear clip.

I haven't got any dimensional data on the two styles of caps which are available, I'm assuming the 2.5" might be the one to go for.

Chris - From my research the 76 car looks like its more of a Monza style cap.

Vince.
    Last edited by Monte76; 22-05-2013 at 21:16.
    "In the beginning I looked around but couldn't find the car I dreamed of, so I decided to build it myself." - Dr. Ing. h.c. Ferry Porsche

www.lancia-stratos.co.uk

Transformer/Hawk HF3000 - Chassis: 1988 Spyder #045 - Engine: Alfa 166 3.0L 24v V6 - ECU: Omex 710 - Exhaust: Simpson - Tyres: Michelin TB15's / Pirelli P7 Corsa - Wheels: Hawk Compomotive.

Here's a close up of the 76 Monte Carlo filler cap - I'm assuming with the ridge over the top of the cap this is more in keeping with the Monza style.

As you can see the opening is fairly generous.

Vince.

www.lancia-stratos.co.uk

Hi Vince,
    Yes, the holes around the rally car fillers were quite big? Well, it's certainly not an 'Aston' cap.
    I'd say 2.5". I've just measured the one that Martin Kift had on his large alloy washer reservoir. It's 2", which looks too small for a fuel filler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Monza 2%22.jpg  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0528[1].jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	4623

Vince, not sure if this will help, I'll try to measure mine tomorrow, notice the oval hole in the rear clam that lets you open the filler cap without opening the rear clam. Rene's car has a similar arrangement and I may be able to get a look at that tomorrow as well.

From memory2" & 2.5" seem a bit small, there are bigger size options here http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motors...uel-filler-cap

Rene, do you still have the invoice for your filler caps? as it may specify the size, to help Vince, regards

Griff
    Last edited by Griff; 22-05-2013 at 22:24.

Cheers Griff, that setup looks like the one I'm after, any additional info you can provide will be really helpful.

I think you're right Chris, if that's a 2" filler cap then it might be too small for my needs.

Vince.
    Last edited by Monte76; 22-05-2013 at 23:13.

www.lancia-stratos.co.uk

SEC Member

Hi Vince
    If you do get sorted out with new filler caps would you be interested in selling your old caps as I'am short of 2. Just a thought anyway.

Cheers
    Martin

Sure, I can't imagine I'll need them for anything else, once I get the new caps sorted I'll let you know.

www.lancia-stratos.co.uk