Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SANTA POD - Anyone

Re: SANTA POD - Anyone

Warranty claim?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    Warranty claim?
    They'd only replace it with the same part, which would probably repeat the cycle.

I have been trying to recall what spec joint I have, and seem to think, that they used the same deep plunge joint that was on the old driveshafts. And that they did say it was marginal for the power. Of course I wont remember that when I call on Monday!
    Looking in the GKN catalogue, they do make a heavy duty motorsport CV in that size, but it has only +/- 8mm plunge. Looking at the wear pattern on the one i took out, that should be enough, so i will try the warranty claim in a way that they supplied the wrong joints, so I need two of the heavy duty ones... that is assuming I dont already have heavy duty ones...

Probably wont get anywhere, but its worth a try....

Main thing is the shaft didnt break & isnt damaged!

I've just picked up my jaw off the floor, never seen an exploded CV joint before. So sorry to see your day didn't go as planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I've just picked up my jaw off the floor, never seen an exploded CV joint before. So sorry to see your day didn't go as planned.
    It was indeed a shame that i didnt get at least one timed run

The shattered CV cage is a new one to me - it will be interesting to see what GKN have to say about it - that is if i can get hold of anyone... If there has to be a weak link, then the CV joint isnt the worst part for it to be, but a bit longer life would be better! If I had had a spare, it wouldnt have been so bad!

Ouch I was hoping you'd get some runs in too. At least it wasn't the box this time Neil and that's probably the cheapest weak link to have in the drivetrain.. Maybe the tyre warming was too good ! perhaps that's your safety margin .....wheelspin !

Quote Originally Posted by Sando View Post
    Ouch I was hoping you'd get some runs in too. At least it wasn't the box this time Neil and that's probably the cheapest weak link to have in the drivetrain.. Maybe the tyre warming was too good ! perhaps that's your safety margin .....wheelspin !
    The whole point was to get a time! to roll up 100yards short of the line on the first run was a bit of a disaster.. Like you say at least the CV is the cheapest item to break, but I am in doubt that i actually have GKN's best quality....
    Now its a case of fix it for blyton on the 31st and then try santa pod again if i have time before i have to go back to work!

Well I talked to GKN after they have looked at the photos & they dont think the joint was overloaded, but that it had over plunged causing a ball to jam and break the cage resulting in the damage in the photo above. They of course want the old CV back to see if they can find anything else. One contruibuting factor could have been that the flange to flange gap for the driveshaft on that side increased by 5mm - I did make up a spacer but didnt use it as there seemed to be plenty of spare plunge to cope with the extra length. The current plan is to fit a new joint with the spacer and see what happens. If it or the other one breaks again then we need to look at a different solution.....

New joint to be fitted tomorrow & for my own peace of mind I have ordered a spare one as well!