Thread: I now know what this is for !

SEC Member

I now know what this is for !

When I dropped in the 12V engine and box, this little widget was in the clutch plumbing.
    I didn't really know what it was, but because I could fit it, I did! (First mistake)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1557.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	5153
    All seemed good with the 5sp box.. When I swapped to the 6 speed box, I retained it and left in place (another mistake)

After a couple of track days, I noticed that the clutch was starting to slip between gear changes.
    It was the old Alfa 12V clutch plate and I thought that maybe the 12V clutch wasn't up to the 24V torque.

The gearbox was off to get a Q2 diff fitted and in parallel I bought an uprated Helix clutch. That'll fix the problem I thought. (another mistake).

After much puffing and grunting, the gearbox went in and off for a test drive on Thursday night.. Much to my horror, the "slipping" seemed even worse. (The penny starts to drop).

The widget I'm now guessing is some sort of damper to allow more progressive/smoother clutch action.
    Removed this morning and out for a blast.... Not only is the clutch action easier, but the "bite" is as expected...
    Fettled Strat24V gear linkage to reduce throw and sideways movement. It really is very slick and precise up through the gears.

Anyway, I suspect that the 12V clutch would have been fine.... Expensive mistake... wish I'd asked the forum, because I bet most of you already knew this!

The upshot is that I have an original 16412V clutch and pressure plate that's only done a few thousand miles. It also fits the 24V engine with a 156GTA solid flywheel.
    It's a push rather than a pull pressure plate though.

Andrew

Re: I now know what this is for !

'nuff said?