Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Litton Corse build with 2.0l Lancia 8v TC

Re: Litton Corse build with 2.0l Lancia 8v TC

Michael and I now have the car through the IVA test and the certificate and registration documentation is with the DVLA team.

We learnt a few things along the way:
    To improve the speedometer accuracy I mounted my VDO speedometer inductive sensor on the gearbox lined up with a Fiat Ducato reluctor ring that I mounted on the differential flange. 54 teeth per revolution results in a really smooth and accurate speedometer. I also ran a screened cable for the speedometer wiring as the speedo was susceptible to interference resulting in the needle flickering whilst at a standstill.
    The VDO tachometer was erratic when driven from my Bosch distributor with inductive pickup and electronic amplification! A simple diode in the tachometer feed results in a smooth rev counter needle.
    I at last brought the correct size springs (Coilover Spring Faulkner 10.5 Inches Long - 2.25 Inch Inside Diameter | FRS-105-200) for my front Leda shocks and now I can mount the shocks the right way up.
    I fitted new front suspension ball joints, top and bottom, plus repacked the Litton steering rack with EP grease. The front steering is now really nice and self centring is as it should be.
    I have re-aligned the front suspension to 10 minutes toe in, 40 minutes negative camber, 4 degrees of castor. The rear suspension has 10 minutes of toe in and 1 degree of negative camber.
    I have 205/50VR15's on the front and 225/50VR15's on the rear. I am currently running 16psi in the front and 20psi in the rear but I suspect these are too high. 350kgs front axle and 540kgs rear with full fuel tanks, 90litres.
    I fitted rear mudguards to meet the wheel covering requirements.
    Guy Croft solved my over fuelling problems by recommending that I fit a fuel pressure regulator. My engine ran fine with just a couple of gallons in the fuel tanks but when I brimmed the tanks for the IVA test I could not meet the emissions test. The Silver Top road specification fuel pump is able to overcome the Weber DCOE 45 needle valves and neat fuel drips from the accelerator pump jets! A Malpassi Filter King from Northampton Motor Sport cured this issue and we sailed through the emissions test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2445.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	8868

Photograph shows the reluctor ring on the differential flange and the speedometer inductive pickup mounted in my bracket.
    Whilst I am waiting for the DVLA to process my paperwork and provide me with a registration number I have a few other things to do:

I am currently working on a steady bar for the engine. I have not used the Lancia head mounted solution as this leads to head gasket issues. I have designed a bell housing mounted solution. I will post some photographs soon.
    Last edited by Paul Eustace; 16-10-2015 at 19:04. Reason: correction

SEC Member

Hi Paul. Well done on the IVA.
    Good tip on the reluctor ring. I guess the more pulses there are the more accurate and steady the signal?
    Do you have the welded top front shock bracket or bolt on triangular brackets?
    What open and closed lengths are the front shocks?
    I did use Clio check links. Bit fiddly to fit but do the job well. Can post pic if you like?

Corse S's always had the welded on front damper brackets, the I's were the ones with the bolt on option. (Citation needed).
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Well that's exactly what I thought, but as it happens, I put the phone down only half an hour ago after talking to someone with a different set up!
    Hence the question....

Post Litton then?
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Steve Greenwood era.

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Steve Greenwood era.
    Yes, because I've just noticed that the gearshift on this car is the same as the one I have now (ex Tom R. Allora). I thought it was a one off, but obviously not.
    I once had a chat with the first owner of Tom's Allora, and he described it as a 'Litton'.

Paul's car is unquestionably a Litton & quite an early one at that.
    The gear linkage you describe is a Litton part for sure, I remember boxes of those laser parts in the Litton workshop back in the late '80's, the yellow demonstrator car was fitted with the same set up.
    I remember working on an Allora in the Litton workshop but that was a Yellow car. It had Lada top front wishbones that were interfering with the Compomotive split rim wheels.
    Stan Laurel

The front shock top mount is welded on. Steve Greenwood gave me a couple of 'temporary front springs' with 2.25" ID but unmatched rates (300 and 350lbs) and promised to send me the correct 200lb springs later. These did eventually arrive but I didn't fit them for years and recently I realised they were 2.5" ID.

I will measure the Leda shocks as I don't appear to have the specification in my paperwork. I would have liked them to be 10mm shorter.

With the correct springs fitted the track rod arms almost touch the top link at full droop plus full lock but they do miss by 3mm. I have to be careful with steering rack gaiters as the previous version I used did get caught in the gap when testing in the workshop on axle stands! If this proves to be an issue I will consider limiting the steering lock, move the top mount up or a shorter shock. Anyone had any issues with front shock length?

The gear change was I believe a Steve Greenwood creation. For some reason I designed my own gear change solution in the car but I liked Steve's gearbox solution.
    Last edited by Paul Eustace; 16-10-2015 at 19:08.

SEC Member

Yes Paul. Many issues with Corse front shock lengths and suspension travel. Everyone seems to have ended up with something different over time.
    Always useful to compare notes!