Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Litton Corse build with 2.0l Lancia 8v TC

Re: Litton Corse build with 2.0l Lancia 8v TC

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Eustace View Post

I will measure the Leda shocks as I don't appear to have the specification in my paperwork. I would have liked them to be 10mm shorter.

With the correct springs fitted the track rod arms almost touch the top link at full droop but they do miss by 3mm. I have to be careful with steering rack gaiters as the previous version I used did get caught in the gap when testing in the workshop on axle stands! If this proves to be an issue I will consider limiting the steering lock, move the top mount up or a shorter shock. Anyone had any issues with front shock length?
    I specced a front coil over with a 16" open length & 100mm of travel on a Corse "S" chassis I built up, the tyre diameter was 605mm this will be slightly larger than your wheel tyre combination, it may be that you simply run with less ground clearance.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

My Leda shocks are approximately 410mm open length and appear to have 125mm of travel before the bump stop comes into play.
    Last edited by Paul Eustace; 16-10-2015 at 19:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Corse S's always had the welded on front damper brackets, the I's were the ones with the bolt on option. (Citation needed).
    Not on the "I" chassis number 33 oddball - welded front and rear.

Whilst I am waiting for my registration application to be processed by the DVLA K&R team I have been working through my jobs list.

I have fitted my engine steady bar and the clutch footrest.

I extended the standard Lancia Beta engine bar and brought new bushes from Beta Boyz. The Lancia bracket which is normally mounted on the end of the cylinder head has been welded to a plate I fabricated and bolted to the bell housing. If the steady bar had remained on the cylinder head it is highly likely that the head gasket would fail due to the stress the steady bar applies to the end of the head.

I have also correctly aligned the headlamp shells in the pods and now have the headlamp pods nicely aligned with the front clam bodywork.

The countdown continues to a registration number plate!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClutchFootrest.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	8911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EngineSteadyBar2.jpg 
Views:	303 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	8912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EngineSteadyBar1.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	8913

Last week I received my V5C and I am on the road! I am delighted with the way it drives and even in 'Engine Break-In' mode the engine is really crisp and is clearly going to be lots of fun. No oil or coolant leaks, plugs look ok, gear change is a little stiff but will likely improve, the new drivers seat set up with 'Recaro Double Locking Runners' has provided slightly increased headroom and adjustment to enable my sons to drive!

I have at this stage only driven around the local lanes but unfortunately I must now return the car to my workshop for a couple of days whilst I modify the rear clam bodywork. The bodywork does not have sufficient clearance to accommodate the exhaust system as you can see from the photograph below.

When Lance of OJZ Engineering discussed the design of this system we agreed that I would modify the rear bodywork to provide clearance. I was fooling myself by hoping that the bodywork heat shield and Zircotec coating would suffice. There are no short cuts!

Name:	Heat shield looking unhappy!.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	8946

Here are some photographs of the fibreglass modification to the rear clam bodywork to accommodate the exhaust system.
    I now have a good 50mm plus of clearance between the exhaust headers and the bodywork. The increase in airflow in the engine bay can only help maintain an acceptable engine bay temperature.
    I glassed the recess from inside the boot is case you are wondering how it was stuck in place!
    After a good few miles driving I checked the bodywork temperature and 52C was the highest I measured so I am happy with that.

My current problem is a coolant hose collapse! When ticking over and running slowly, less than 3,000rpm, the coolant hoses maintain their form and coolant temperature is ok. When I hit 4,000rpm the temperature gauge starts to climb and as soon as I slow the revs the temperature falls back in a couple of seconds to 80C! I believe the water pump is sucking a hose flat. When I stop and jump out with my infrared temperature gauge all the coolant pipes are at around 50C with the exception of the top rail!

The car will tick-over all day at a maximum of 85C!

Name:	Rear Clam modification1.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	9000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Clam modification2.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	9001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Clam modification3.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	9002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Clam modification4.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	37.5 KB 
ID:	9003
    Last edited by Paul Eustace; 17-11-2015 at 11:29.

I have finally resolved my over heating problems. I installed a Davies Craig electric water pump (EWP80) in tandem with the MonteCarlo mechanical coolant pump.
    I drilled two 5mm holes in the in-head thermostat to enable the EWP80 to run even when the thermostat is closed.
    I installed the EWP in the radiator return pipework by the radiator. The pump is orientated such that air cannot be trapped near the pump gland.
    I have replaced the cylinder head over temperature switch with the Davies Craig temperature sensor putting the sensor right at the top of the cylinder head.
    I fitted the pump controller in the centre console in front of the gear lever.
    I am currently using a target coolant temperature of 85C. At 65C the pump runs for 10 seconds at 6 volts and then lies dormant for 10 seconds. At 80C the pump runs at 6 volts and increases linearly to 12 volts at 85C.
    The coolant temperature now remains between 75C and 78C. The oil temperature is very similar.
    I have also applied Zircotec's ZircoFlex sheet to chassis tubes and the coolant pump inlet pipework to stop the exhaust manifold heating the coolant.

Name:	EWP80.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	10867Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EWP in radiator return pipework.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	10868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Davies,Craig EWP80 in radiator return pipework.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	10869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Davies, Craig temperature sensor.jpg 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	10870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zircotec's ZircoFlex on chassis tubes and coolant pump inlet.jpg 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	10871

SEC Member

Hi Paul, good to know you have got on top of these problems.
    Pretty normal trials and tribulations for the car builder I'd say.
    No matter how much planning and thought you do at the build stage there are still problems which road use shows up.
    There is some debate about the need for a thermostat at all if you fit the Davies Craig complete with controller.
    The initial slow/intermittent running is to allow quick warm up even without a thermostat.

Hi John,
    You make a good point regarding the need for a thermostat.

With the benefit of hindsight I would not use a mechanical coolant pump at all. I would remove the impeller and shaft from the water pump and weld shut the hole. I would install a larger Davies, Craig or similar electric coolant pump in the radiator return hose and use the controller to intelligently move the coolant.

I have taken the easy route and am running the mechanical and electric pumps in tandem. By setting the electric pump's controller target temperature 5C higher than I need I am using the electric pump to assist the mechanical pump when the in head thermostat begins to open at 74C, the thermostat is fully open at 80C. The two 5mm holes I have drilled in the thermostat definitely allow coolant to flow when the thermostat is closed as the top hose was nicely warm long before the thermostat opened.

If I remove the thermostat, without removing the mechanical pump, I fear the mechanical pump will prolong warm-up and will over cool the engine under low to medium load.

It was raining today so I installed a grommet on the gear change shaft to seal the firewall and help reduce the noise! One less task on my 'to do' list.

SEC Member

Ah yes! You are right Paul. With the mechanical pump still operational you would indeed get a longer warm up without the thermostat in place.