Hi Enzo,

It's speculating.
    They're worth up to, but not beyond €40,000

Re: Stratos Replica prices!

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    Hi Enzo,

It's speculating.
    They're worth up to, but not beyond €40,000
    I guess you are refering to these two cars when you say not beyond 40000, as I am sure there are some replicas that are worth more.

As an example, Two group 4 cars, both look similar to the untrained eye, both externally and internally. One has a basic list of components fitted with a rough value of those at say 15k, the other car can have components to the tune of 50-60k plus. Its like comparing apples and oranges so saying why are prices high is a waste of time. Saying that, both these cars look to have a component list toward the lower end so do seem a little pricey. Guess it would be difficult to put a price on say Vincents, Andy P's, Chris C's, Neils etc. In my mind they should command sale prices way higher (if ever their owners sold up)

Quote Originally Posted by turbonutter View Post
    I guess you are refering to these two cars when you say not beyond 40000, as I am sure there are some replicas that are worth more.
    Yes I am Neil, because they're of a similar spec to one or two of the cars that have sold recently. Or struggled to sell, that is.

There certainly are kit replicas that are worth much more, and the cars that John has mentioned are good examples. They're labours of love, and I can't imagine the circumstances when they'd ever be for sale. You can't put cars like that together at a moments notice. No matter what your finances are.

I'm trying to think of an example of a car built recently from a new kit and following the 'path of least resistance' approach. Even the first Hawk 'group 4 alike' that Talon built had some custom interior panels? Anyhow, that type of build isn't special, even though the build cost will have been high. The examples that John mentions, are special, and therefore difficult to put a price on.

Whilst the prices must be considered speculative (and good luck to the sellers!!) there may be an element of having a car pre-registered in Italy and saving yourself the bureaucracy involved in getting a kit on the road there. However much you spend on a build it's pretty pointless if you never get to drive the car on the road!
    Just my tuppence worth!
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
    In my mind they should command sale prices way higher (if ever their owners sold up)
    Totally agree John, and as long as people keep saying things are too high a price so folk will think it (No not having a dig at you Chris).
    When you thing 20 years ago what you could buy these cars for and what it costs now to build one.
    Whilst I'm not knocking Talon or any other build agent, would you say that one of their built cars is worth more or less than Vince's car, or Guy's as an example?
    (Sorry I don't know the other cars mentioned)

A few years ago I saw a Talon car just before being shipped to its new customer and that was in the region of £55K and of the 3 cars mentioned if that was worth £55k then I have no idea what the other two should be worth but its way more than punter keep hearing they are worth.

Its all well and good saying that's as much as people will pay, if that was true then why are people spending so much more for turn key cars, after all these are turn key as well.

It was not that long ago that AUDI was a car with average depreciation, was just a run of the mill car, then they started to control the sales of second hand low mileage cars and now.......Supply and demand, and we are a small enough group of users to effectively control that supply.

End of rant........

Quote Originally Posted by The Slug View Post
    Totally agree John, and as long as people keep saying things are too high a price so folk will think it (No not having a dig at you Chris).
    When you thing 20 years ago what you could buy these cars for and what it costs now to build one.
    You can talk them up all you like, but the acid test is what they actually sell for. I do know what those figures are.

Whilst I'm not knocking Talon or any other build agent, would you say that one of their built cars is worth more or less than Vince's car, or Guy's as an example?
    (Sorry I don't know the other cars mentioned)
    In the case of Vince's car, it's a collection of collector's pieces, as well as the bare bones of a good Stratos kit replica. To me, a car like that is far more desirable than a new (Talon like, for the sake of argument, and because it's a Hawk compared to another Hawk) build.

A few years ago I saw a Talon car just before being shipped to its new customer and that was in the region of £55K and of the 3 cars mentioned if that was worth £55k then I have no idea what the other two should be worth but its way more than punter keep hearing they are worth.
    Regarding a new build that has cost £55k to put together. That doesn't mean that the finished car is worth that amount. Immediately cashing in a car like that, would likely see you making a loss, not a profit.

Its all well and good saying that's as much as people will pay, if that was true then why are people spending so much more for turn key cars, after all these are turn key as well.
    You would only spend a lot on a turn key if you were going to keep it. Otherwise you've got more money than sense.

This is a very subjective thing isn't it. I have no argument with anyone on this subject but would challenge anyone who has actually built one of these cars and gone through the pain, frustration, and suffering to openly admit that they thought it was only worth 40,000 euro (£33,000)
    The word 'WORTH' means many things to many people such as 'I think it's worth ........' or 'It's only worth what someone is prepared to pay'. Very true but we all have to consider this. When we order and build (or buy for that matter) a Stratos replica, do we do so thinking ' I can make a mint on this when I sell it'? I seriously doubt it, but that doesn't get away from the question, what are these cars really worth? Firstly, I doubt if any 2 cars are actually alike so that has a bearing. Nevertheless, my own opinion is that while they are still talked about as Kit Cars, then the situation is very unlikely to change. 'Why should I pay £40,000 for a Kit Car when I can buy a nice Ferrari for similar money'. Why indeed, and speaking from my own experience, the Ferrari is an amazing piece of kit and does everything expected of it. There's just one thing missing.....it's not a Stratos and doesn't provide the same involvement when driving. So, maybe we need to try and shake off this 'Kit car' label somehow. Maybe they should be categorised as 'Self assembly supercars' or something along those lines. Who knows, this subject will continue to rear it's head and we will still all agree that the cars sell much too cheaply but, when everything is considered, we buy and build and drive them because we love them. Even taking into account all their shortcomings we wouldn't be without them. Long live the Stratos.
    Mick
    Last edited by catswhiskers; 14-02-2014 at 16:37.

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    Who knows, this subject will continue to rear it's head and we will still all agree that the cars sell much too cheaply but, when everything is considered, we buy and build and drive them because we love them.
    Considering the many hours that go into them, had they not sold too cheaply, I'd never have been able to afford one (or two).