Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Shimmy

Steering Wheel Shimmy

I am suffering from steering wheel shimmy ( rather than shake) at around 60mph tyres have been balanced several times to ensure it is not a wheel balance issue, suspension and joints checked for play every thing appears to tight. Has anybody suffered from a similar issue and what did you do to fix it.

I should be gratefully for any ideas and pointers to find a solution to this problem.

David

SEC Member

Re: Steering Wheel Shimmy

Tyre bulge?

Could be on the shock absorber with a leak of pressure inside or something wrong inside that gives a "resonnance" vibration which field is in beetwenn 60 mph and over then stops in higher speed ?
    you can check this in doing a test on safe place where you can go at 55 then go at 60 and if shimmy start just brake down hardly and let the car go then ; if the shimmy disapear that 's probably somme issue on front Chock-units
    Hope this idea helps ?

Free user

Hi David

Not in the same league as your tyres I know, but I had a similar issue with my old Chrysler Voyager, had endless balances, swapped wheels, checked brake disks for warping etc. In the end we changed the tyres (to another brand), instant resolution to the problem. Just an idea if you can swing in another pair of wheels just to try.

Peter

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by peteracs View Post

In the end we changed the tyres (to another brand), instant resolution to the problem.
    Yes, we've experienced that, especially on tyres that have sat for lengthy periods without the weight taken off.
    Don't know if this applies David, but worth a try.

As above regarding shocker. Had the same thing on a Ginetta, turned out the shock had developed a dead band and offered no damping over about 5mm of piston movement.No other indications of any fault but steering vibration. Was a right pain to track down.

Thank you for all for your responses, it gives some other areas to scrutinise in a bit more detail The tyres I have fitted are Falken 225x15x50 ZIEX ZE912. John and Peter you could be right in both your comments regarding the tyres , The car is parked for long periods during the winter just being moved occasionally, it could be that the tyres get a bit out of round. When I think on, in the past the steering shimmy seems to improve the more miles I put on the car. I am having a good run out to Ravenscar on Sunday so I will monitor how the steering performs.
    Not sure how good Falken tyres are ?, I must admit they were keenly when I bought them.

The shockers are AVO coil overs fitted a couple of years ago.

Many thanks
    David

Another vote from me on the cold tyres that have been sat on for a while. It should go once they get thoroughly warm though.
    Other things to think of - slight play in wheel bearing(s)- easily sorted with a little nip up.
    also if the tracking or caster is a little uneven you may get the wheels fighting each other. If the front tie bar bushes are worn you can easily get toe out once moving at speed and this will give some instability for the rest of the set up to deal with.
    also check lower steering column UJ as first signs of this going is that little bit of play in the steering.

If it is tyres, can you swap the wheels over from side to side? or turn 180deg on each hub? see if it makes a difference.
    Rob

I'm getting a bad vibration through the steering at 70-80 mph. Will need to check all of the above. Not sure if it goes away above that, I'm gripping too tight and concentrating on other things!

Tried different wheels - same vibe.
    nothing loose I can find in the front suspension.
    Steering column universal joint is new, solid one.
    Front tie-bar is UJ.
    Does the speed it happens at indicate anything? I'm not clear about Michel's test - it will always go away when the speed drops below 70.
    guess a geometry check is cheaper than new shocks...