Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie about to attempt a LB build.....

Re: Newbie about to attempt a LB build.....

Perfect Ian
    well done

Quote Originally Posted by peteracs View Post
    +1

Peter
    Ditto
    Phil Dolby

Hi Hugo

im in a very similar position as you, placed my order with LB about 6 weeks ago so looking at getting my kit early next year.
    I've also bought a 166 that is currently in bits in my garage, scrapped the shell last week and am in the process of refurbishing the engine (head gasket + cam belt).

I've been looking at x19 bits but finding them very scarce, £180 - £200 for a pair of door handles!!!! I was wondering if anybody had looked at logistics of getting new ones made? No idea how you would go about it but with the orders that LB are now getting plus all the Hawk kits could be a viable option?

Good luck with the build, I guess you'll be starting yours around the same time as me..
    Cheers Nick

Have you tried ebay.it or .fr ?

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    Hi Hugo

im in a very similar position as you, placed my order with LB about 6 weeks ago so looking at getting my kit early next year.
    I've also bought a 166 that is currently in bits in my garage, scrapped the shell last week and am in the process of refurbishing the engine (head gasket + cam belt).

I've been looking at x19 bits but finding them very scarce, £180 - £200 for a pair of door handles!!!! I was wondering if anybody had looked at logistics of getting new ones made? No idea how you would go about it but with the orders that LB are now getting plus all the Hawk kits could be a viable option?

Good luck with the build, I guess you'll be starting yours around the same time as me..
    Cheers Nick
    Hi Nick,

Good to hear from someone who is going to be building a LB at around the same time, maybe we can help each other out along the way.

I am also at the start of the process of sourcing parts and finding the self same challenges, which is why in part I'm beginning to think along the lines of a bit of modern updating which should also have the benefit of making parts less of an issue, depending on where my thinking takes me.

I am a very big fan of the Strato's shape (and I am now running the risk of upsetting the purists which I seem to already have done with choosing a LB in the first place) but have had a good look online at the now abortive project from a couple of years ago to re release the Stratos and am wondering if there are some of the design elements that could be combined with the LB car.

All just ideas and musings at the moment to be honest but the challenge of sourcing parts from an X1/9 donor car that is getting on for c. 40 years old poses 2 particular quandaries. Is it going to continue to be realistic and/or viable for any significant period of time to rely on the X1/9 as the donor car for steering column, handbrake lever, external door handles and overcentre catches? Also, is it right to take parts for the X 1/9 away from those looking to keep the X1/9s themselves on the road when it is a classic car in it own right and has it's own place in the automotive history books?

I appreciate it is probably not financially viable to expect LB at this stage in it's growth to consider redesigning it's product to give alternative options for key donor components and there may also not be the demand for a Strato's that does not look period correct but Craig has already made significant changes to the chassis, suspension, interior space and so forth for me to wonder if it would be a logical progression at some point in the future.

In the meantime I am trying to source the self same donor parts as you and doubtless a number of other budding builders. I had thought at some point in recent months that I came across a Stratos forum where over centre catches had been re manufactured but for the life of me I cannot find the web page again. It was right at the start of my research and I hadn't realised the significance of the availability of donor parts or re manufactured versions and didn't think to bookmark it.

If I come across any parts surplus to my requirements (as unlikely as that will be!) I will be happy to let you know and fingers crossed that after 9 months of scavenging we have what we will need.

Regards

Hugo

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Have you tried ebay.it or .fr ?
    I haven't as yet, but Italy was certainly going to be my next port of call.

Regards

Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    Hi Hugo

Cheers Nick
    When I put My order onto the LB kit ; I have bought all parts needed from X 1/9 from a sort of France Ebay and was lucky to find so many pairs or door and over catch centers at really good prices ,so acquire all those ; but now all vendors are aware of the final use of these rare parts and evidently prices are now more than crazy
    So to help SEC I did a study in redoing parts project including door handles and more others ; door handles need so much tooling, casting ,and machinig that if it is not done a minimum serie of 100 pairs !!! cost wil be equal to the prices found on the bay now .... so who is able to invest so much money for so many parts in one batch = NOBODY
    At the moment am working in redoing inside chromed button and spacer in black ertalon for the windows stopper and I have too in hand the GR4 specific illuminated puch button done that am showing to members at Silverstone
    Last edited by LM mic; 20-07-2014 at 20:06.

Free user

Just a quick question about door handles, I know the X1/9 were the original ones from various discussions, but given the similarity of the Beta ones, could they be a possible source?

Peter

Not without a lot of fiberglass mods. Cheaper to buy the expensive Fiat X19 ones...

Guy

For re-made X1/9 parts including Door locks and Targa catches try http://www.alternativeautos.demon.co.uk/