Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My car of 30 years

My car of 30 years

Rubydagard says "welcome to the world of Strati'. Whether you have made the correct choice, or not, only time will tell.

But with Hawk being in business for over thirty years and producing over 600 Strati' sent world-wide, manufacturing spare parts for the likes of Perez and Waldegard, it will be interesting to see how the values of LB on the used market compared to Hawk products will fare over the next few years. There have been many competitors and copiers of the Hawk product - all of whom have failed. Gerry Hawkeridge has worldwide recognition as a leading expert in automotive engineering as well as a dedicated passion for both the Stratos and the Cobra cars. As one of the first customers of Hawk of nearly 30 years, all i can say is that Gerry makes the most authentic and accurate replica on the planet - FULL STOP. With this reputation, i am happy to say that i have entrusted him, and his team with the restoration of my most treasured possession (apart from my wife). Hawk cars are currently helping to restore the HOLY GRAIL. If you don't understand what i mean by the holy grail - it's the most famous, most fantastic Stratos in the world.
    Gerry's knowledge is second only to Mike Parkes.
    .... if only the best will do, there is no choice. I have owned an original Hawk Stratos for the best part of 30 years, and it is so accurate and true to the original, it's unbelievable. During the restoration of the Holy grail, we were held up by a lack of original parts. I was able to raid Gerry's tea chest of parts and everything fitted.

Signed, Rubeydegard

Free user

Re: Newbie about to attempt a LB build.....

Quote Originally Posted by davehanman View Post
    Rubydagard says "welcome to the world of Strati'. Whether you have made the correct choice, or not, only time will tell.

But with Hawk being in business for over thirty years and producing over 600 Strati' sent world-wide, manufacturing spare parts for the likes of Perez and Waldegard, it will be interesting to see how the values of LB on the used market compared to Hawk products will fare over the next few years. There have been many competitors and copiers of the Hawk product - all of whom have failed. Gerry Hawkeridge has worldwide recognition as a leading expert in automotive engineering as well as a dedicated passion for both the Stratos and the Cobra cars. As one of the first customers of Hawk of nearly 30 years, all i can say is that Gerry makes the most authentic and accurate replica on the planet - FULL STOP. With this reputation, i am happy to say that i have entrusted him, and his team with the restoration of my most treasured possession (apart from my wife). Hawk cars are currently helping to restore the HOLY GRAIL. If you don't understand what i mean by the holy grail - it's the most famous, most fantastic Stratos in the world.
    .... if only the best will do, there is no choice. I have owned an original Hawk Stratos for the best part of 30 years, and it is so accurate and true to the original, it's unbelievable. During the restoration of the Holy grail, we were held up by a lack of original parts. I was able to raid Gerry's tea chest of parts and everything fitted.

Signed, Rubeydegard
    I detect you may be a firm believer in the Hawk car then :-)

Building a car is always going to be a matter of personal choice and preference. LB may be a young company but it's product seems to better suits my needs.

As much as I am a fan of the Strato's shape, I have no desire to create a perfect facsimile of the original car. For me, I want the option of creating a more modern homage as that is what appeals to me. I have no particular interest in second hand values and I would be happy if I could enjoy a few decades of ownership.

For me a thoroughly modern and robust chassis, less reliance on used and ever harder to source parts, bespoke parts, good pedal layout and cabin room are all positives. I might even consider fitting a digital dashboard and machined aluminium switches along with TVR style electronic door opening. A/C is a must for me as is a built in Sat Nav and a sound system (I might not be able to hear it but will be happy in the knowledge that I have it!!!!). Sacrilege to some, but I'm building the car for me to make me happy.

I am well aware of Gerry's reputation and the originality of the Hawk, but there in lies my problem to a degree. I think I would simply feel obligated to build a faithful replica with the Hawk rather than following my heart and feeling comfortable that I can with the LB.

Regards

Hugo

A Lister Bell was the right choice for me. I'm not as concerned about a replica being close to an original, apart from the looks obviously. I want it on the road in a timely manner.

I got my kit in Oct last year and even with a few months of not being able to get near it for various reasons I still think I may be able to have it on the road by Christmas, I'm going to need to pull finger, but I think I can do it. It's not something I plan on selling either.
    New manufacturers have to start somewhere, and you're never going to make one product that everybody's happy with. It takes a while to build a reputation.
    I'm impressed how Craig can tailor his kit to meet exactly what the customer requires with no fuss. And it constantly redesigning and improving the kit.

I almost bought a Hawk in 1998 when I moved to the UK, if Lister Bell was around then I still would have bought one over the Hawk, the attraction of modern components, running gear, ease and speed of build due to the kit being so comprehensive is very attractive. I can't speak of the Hawk's after sales service, but I'm very happy with that of LB.

A replica is always going to be a replica. Buy the one that suits your requirements the best.
    Last edited by Fingers; 17-07-2014 at 22:52.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

Free user

Signed, Rubeydegard

I too too was a little confused about the context of the response. As far as I can see there was no previous discussion about the originality etc of LB design in relation to the original Stratos, nor it's likely second user values etc.

I also have no axe to grind either way, as I am not lucky enough to be able to afford either of the kit suppliers product. As a neutral looking in I see two distinct suppliers with some overlap in target market, but significant areas where they target different markets, Hawk are very much down the 'same as' the original car, so much so where a number of original parts are required to be sourced to complete the kit. The LB product is very much more aimed at folk who want to be able to buy every item as new using more modern items which includes smaller items such as dials etc.

Just my 2 penny worth, but hope your enjoy your kit when you receive it.

Peter

.... if only the best will do, there is no choice. I have owned an original Hawk Stratos for the best part of 30 years, and it is so accurate and true to the original, it's unbelievable.
    So if you have had the car for thirty years, that would make it a Transformer wouldnt it, not the much upgraded Hawk ?

Where are these 600 Hawks I have to ask....................there must be nearly 500 unfinished projects in the back of garages all around the world.
    Hawk HF3000 - Engine: Alfa GTV 3.0L 24v V6, Dry Sump - Gearbox: Sadev 6 Speed Sequential ST90-14 - Suspension: Nitron 3 Way Adjustable - Wheels: Hawk Compomotive - Tyres: Pirelli P7 Corsa

Quote Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
    Where are these 600 Hawks I have to ask....................there must be nearly 500 unfinished projects in the back of garages all around the world.
    It's a good point, but (in fairness) it is probably right to say that in the early days of Transformer/Hawk kit most if not all kits sold were finished.

The two kits would (IMHO) be aiming for two slightly different market segments. Gerrys kit has always been recognised as the authentic warts' n'all option, and this has an associated cost that isn't easy to quantify up front. Craigs kit would seem to be in the spirit of the original car but with a more pragmatic view of where we are today (re parts availability and peoples time).

I'm getting closer to finishing my Hawk kit, it's been difficult for a wide range of reasons, some rest with the kit some with me, some because I am building it now not 20 years ago. Were I to start again I am pretty sure there are decisions I would have made differently. But that could be said of any long term project.
    Last edited by Jeff; 18-07-2014 at 06:16.

Wink Re: Newbie about to attempt a LB build.....

Hello to all
    Reading this few last posts I feel to add my 2 cts;
    We are talking for both kits, of REPLICAS !!! so none of those can be judged more or less matching to the real deal !!!
    Both are tubes chassis with fiberglass center spider so ..... how one can say this one is more accurate than another ? uprights ? does the Hawk rear uprights match to the original ones ? LB are not similar but they are in the same idea with far better modern tecnology and cheap components to replace ( hubs and bearings )
    Front uprights ; yes hawk have somethoing similar to the old one but if asked to Craig it's completly possible to fit 125/132 fiat ones with no issue at all
    Etc ETc ETC So both of these are Replica an not "RECREATIONS"!!!!
    So why this need to compare these 2 suppliers ?
    they are present on the market and probably as usual in this auto sport field the only usefull criteria for anyone dreaming into a built is to meet both of the heads of company have a talk then following their personal feeling about these men they will choice .
    Both of these suppliers probably do a lot of work and it's a real opportunity to have them doing different tecnology or customer approach so every one can do personnal choice an then do an friendly competition when cars are built
    Vince there did a hudge work on his car trying to match as much as possible the real deal OK !!! but who knows may be some one in a period of monthes will also show an LB fabricated with same spirit ?
    When I will watch from my eyes really these 600 kits I will be very impressed OK but where they are , where can we read build logs ? and did this number have help this supplier to improve his bodywork fitment ? From what I was reading in some built threads this part of built is not so easy???
    So being cool and observative is best ; 2 suppliers in Stratos world is valuable and nice and let's every one of these mens work and have good time and normal profit with their work
    On Gt 40 replica field there are about 3 to 4 suppliers ( may be more with bodywork and chassis kits to weld suppliers ) and all of them lives happy ; the only diff is again the feeling you have when you
    meetface to face workshops owners and the amount of trust you will leave them
    Amen !!
    Live cool and build in peace watever kit you choice !!!
    Last edited by LM mic; 18-07-2014 at 07:23.

Re: My car of 30 years

There have been many competitors and copiers of the Hawk product - all of whom have failed.
    Certainly don't think that Craig would copy a copy.... His product is to his OWN designs and he should be applauded for that, and extremely good they are too and I guess his philosophy is NOT to exactly replicate an ORIGINAL or Hawk.

I also feel that whatever kit an individual chooses it is not gentlemanly to question his or her choice.

Phil
    2xHawk

Re: My car of 30 years

I'm also a recent newbie and placed my order with Craig a couple of months ago. My reason for ordering an LB ? I looked at both websites and very quickly discounted the Hawk as I didnt want to scrabble around EBay/Scrap yards/breakers trying to find rare car parts which no doubt were more readily available decades ago. Also I dont want to produce an exact replica and will be quite happy to produce a modern version of the original, as my own homage. Also the quality of engineering and (apparent) ease of assembly of the LB were a key factor in my decision.
    I've got several more months to wait to find out if I made the right decision. !