Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake Pads

SEC Member

Brake Pads

Hi,
    I upgraded my brakes over the winter from 164 callipers / remote servo to Hi-Spec Billet 4 callipers with 41.2mm pistons.

Same front and back.... I got Ferodo DS2500 pads (recommended) to go with it.

I've managed to squeeze 5:1 pedal ration out of the HAWK std set-up (was 4:1).

The Ferodo pads were OK when warmed up, but not great for normal driving.
    They also rattled in the callipers... solved by a self adhesive backing pad, but this gave a slight drag on the disc, so not great.

A work colleague who races Fiestas recommended Carbone Lorainne Pads... he'd swapped and thought they were great.

Constant friction co-efficient right across there temperature range, so sounded like what I was after.

I ordered a set of RC6 material pads and fitted them today.
    The result is simply awesome braking... A fraction of the pedal pressure and just amazing braking, particularly at higher speeds.
    The trade off can be a bit of squeal at low speeds, but so far, so good... No knocking, no squeal.
    I suspect that they'll shred the discs, but for the miles I do I don't see this as a big problem.

I guess some of you are already aware of these pads, but I couldn't fine a post on this make, so thought I'd share.
    Not cheap at £90 a wheel, but they are brilliant.

http://www.carbonelorrainebraking.co.uk

Andrew
    Last edited by AndyH; 30-08-2014 at 18:44.

Re: Brake Pads

Did you make your own mounting adapters for the front Andy?
    I'm still using the 164 calipers at the front, but would like to change - do you have a design that works?

SEC Member

Hi Chris,
    I sent Hi-spec a front and rear hub... they measured them up and made an aluminium bracket that bolted on to the 164 mount.
    Front worked first time.... rear took a second attempt by Hi-Spec to get it right, but they were very quick to remedy.

If you speak to Alex at Hi-Spec I bet he'll probably remember me and should be an easy job.
    For info I went for 310mm discs and alloy bells... To fit a 16" rim, but there is loads of clearance and I bet a they'd fit in a 15" rim as well.

The best plan would be to fit a 15" wheel onto my car and check.

Andrew

The Billet 4 lug type ca;ipers are easy to mount, I've fitted a set to a Corse S (same Fiat uptight) using a simple laser cut bracket & some threaded bosses, I mated these to Hispec 300mm discs & Hispec uni bells.
    I do however think that the Monster 4 is the better caliper for the front axle of a Stratos rep due to its increased pad size but it is harder to mount due its radial fitment.
    The Hispec RX caliper that both Phil & Andy have fitted is probably the best caliper Hispec have produced & runs the same pads as the Monster 4.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 31-08-2014 at 20:10.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Yes, the billet 4 is an easy mount.
    I've just been out in the car again tonight and the stopping power with the CL pads (and Billet 4) is simply awesome. It just stands the Strat on its nose... No fuss... just stops (really quickly)
    Works well for me.

164 brakes are a chronic mismatch for a Stratos replica but when you haven't experienced a properly setup install on the same car, you'd never know.

Hello Andy,

Yes I believe that that will be the case on the road, which is why I opted for the Billet 4 approach on the Corse S chassis I am doing. Neil also has the Billet 4's on his car so time will tell how they survive for him!
    What I am trying to say is that on the road they will be fine (your pad choice will help a lot) but when you come to a track day scenario where the temperatures build up due to sustained usage & heavier braking then the smaller pad area will lead to them overheating quicker & you will suffer fade much sooner than with a larger pad area, The Monster 4 caliper is also a considerably stiffer body so will be far less prone to caliper flex.

Regards
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

Hi,
    Fair point Craig ref the track, but I'm optimistic that they'll hold up to whatever I throw at them. They're full blown race pads, so I'm not expecting issues, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    I'm aiming to arrange a track day for probably early October.... Not sure where yet, but probably in Yorkshire (ish) or at Knockhill if I can find a date. Is anyone interested?
    Regards
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Hello Andy,

Neil also has the Billet 4's on his car so time will tell how they survive for him!

Regards
    So far so good with the Billet 4's and Green Stuff pads, but I have only been on Blyton Circuit.
    I did have some Fade the first couple of times I went out on the track, after 4 or 5 laps I had to go back to the pits, but that was probably due to me driving to cautiously and trailing the brakes too much, as after those initial two times the brakes didnt fade again, even doing many more laps in a stint.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
    Hi,
    Fair point Craig ref the track, but I'm optimistic that they'll hold up to whatever I throw at them. They're full blown race pads, so I'm not expecting issues, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
    I'm aiming to arrange a track day for probably early October.... Not sure where yet, but probably in Yorkshire (ish) or at Knockhill if I can find a date. Is anyone interested?
    Regards
    Andrew
    keep me posted if you're organising anything at Knockhill!