Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Matt's Stradale

Re: all that glitters...

Looking really good! Cutting the sill line back is one big undertaking! I also like the mods in the footwell which should look great once skinned. Have you done anything with the roof cage to take it closer to the pillars and around the perimeter of the screen? Are you going to replace Gerry's front louvre panels with the right shaped ones too?

Guy

Magnificent, if only cockpit could be in steel ...
    Struan
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

SEC Member

Yes, lots of work - modified the roof cage to the extent possible and sourced a set of louvres from Italy. Also reworked the front compartment to use the original pedal box/unservo-ed brake system/radiator/steering rack and to accommodate a spare wheel (and aircon as a concession to usability ). The main spine of the car had to be off set to original dimensions to allow the gear linkage to meet the gearbox in the right place (so wider LHS I think) and have altered rear suspension geometry to accommodate original struts, brakes etc. BTW, I've got an original set of Stradale wheels that I would like to use but a bit scarred about mag fatigue - does anyone know anything about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    Looking really good! Cutting the sill line back is one big undertaking! I also like the mods in the footwell which should look great once skinned. Have you done anything with the roof cage to take it closer to the pillars and around the perimeter of the screen? Are you going to replace Gerry's front louvre panels with the right shaped ones too?

Guy

Hi Matt,

Were you not tempted by the "original/repro" chassis that was sold at auction recently?
    With the combination of that tub, the Ferrari engine & the quantity of correct parts that you already have then you would have been very close to creating the ultimate replica which would have been virtually indistinguishable from the real thing for a fraction of the price.
    I read somewhere that the dark blue McGann car with the Giro nose was made from one of the Gartrac tubs & therefore wasn't "real", guess who was behind the claim.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 17-10-2014 at 13:30.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

SEC Member

No - I started building a standard Hawk (if there is such a thing) and just got a bit obsessive, but I guess I'm not alone in that

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Hi Matt,

Were you not tempted by the "original/repro" chassis that was sold at auction recently?
    With the combination of that tub, the Ferrari engine & the quantity of correct parts that you already have then you would have been very close to creating the ultimate replica which would have been virtually indistinguishable from the real thing for a fraction of the price.
    I read somewhere that the dark blue McGann car with the Giro nose was made from one of the Gartrac tubs & therefore wasn't "real", guess who was behind the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlouis View Post
    No - I started building a standard Hawk (if there is such a thing) and just got a bit obsessive, but I guess I'm not alone in that
    Sadly that's how it starts ....
    Struan
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post

Is this the same guy selling parts?

http://www.hemmings.com/parts/item/B...odyw/5796.html

Quote Originally Posted by maxlouis View Post
    I've got an original set of Stradale wheels that I would like to use but a bit scarred about mag fatigue - does anyone know anything about this?
    If your wheels are really original ones ; they have been treated with aspecial treatment nemed "chromate" and then painted in gold so years damage corrosion have not done that bad work you can find on racing magnesium wheels getting only a miror polish after machining casting when they where brand new
    This one the good good point ; in an other hand concerning load on the magnesium , considering they are stradale stuff they probably did not suffer much but who never know !

There are 2 sort of inspection; one is cheap and you can do it on your own but it is mandatory to have those wheel sand blasted ( not with sand but "nuts chips" and it's the same effect ) to take off painting and then apply a red product ( it's a spraycan) live it for 10mn , clean and then spray the second white product ; if some red lines comes you can just have those wheel as seat of memorabilia
    If everything is ok you will need to paint them again and if you now some body able to do some Alodine treatment before it will be much better
    Second test is With X rays or better IRM tecnology but no many company do this and the process is cost less for a privater

Hope this helps
    Last edited by LM mic; 17-10-2014 at 18:48.

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by LM mic View Post
    If your wheels are really original ones ; they have been treated with aspecial treatment nemed "chromate" and then painted in gold so years damage corrosion have not done that bad work you can find on racing magnesium wheels getting only a miror polish after machining casting when they where brand new
    This one the good good point ; in an other hand concerning load on the magnesium , considering they are stradale stuff they probably did not suffer much but who never know !

There are 2 sort of inspection; one is cheap and you can do it on your own but it is mandatory to have those wheel sand blasted ( not with sand but "nuts chips" and it's the same effect ) to take off painting and then apply a red product ( it's a spraycan) live it for 10mn , clean and then spray the second white product ; if some red lines comes you can just have those wheel as seat of memorabilia
    If everything is ok you will need to paint them again and if you now some body able to do some Alodine treatment before it will be much better
    Second test is With X rays or better IRM tecnology but no many company do this and the process is cost less for a privater

Hope this helps
    That's very helpful - thank you! I would like to use them as they look really good so will follow your advice and also get a set of Ronin coffin spokes; anyone bought a set here?

Be very careful with any alodine, it's chromic acid and is quite toxic. Safety glasses and latex gloves at the bare minimum, and any rags or material that comes into contact should be flushed with water immediatly, it has a tendency to ignite as it dries out. It's really good stuff but just needs to be treated with respect. It also helps paint stick to aluminium. I won't paint ally without using it. Selenious acid works best for spot touch ups on magnesium, a proper chromate bath is even better if you can find one.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!