Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Matt's Stradale

Re: all that glitters...

To be honest I have used Alodine for ages and never had any issues with ; you are talking about Acid ? Alodine never was eating any part of material I plunged into ? I bought Alodine in small plastic bottlle to mix to warm medium water and this was send by the supplier by post ? So am wondering really if it was so dangerous you are describing ( it's complety different than nitric acid for example !! yes this one is really dangerous )
    I was using Alodine to make any aluminium part I built a sort of yellow gold color ( before painting) and just using glove not to have thingers yellow too !! and had some days some on hand but really never feel any attack ?

But you probably know more ; so it's better to follow your precautionous advise ..... I will do next time now for sure

Interesting you are speaking of Chromate bath ; is this one that makes parts black ? Will be very interested to know more about this ( Can a private people use it easily ?)
    Last edited by LM mic; 18-10-2014 at 08:13.

Quote Originally Posted by maxlouis View Post
    That's very helpful - thank you! I would like to use them as they look really good so will follow your advice and also get a set of Ronin coffin spokes; anyone bought a set here?
    I recently sourced Magnesium set of wheel from Marvic ; they are ( Just to me!) more accurate than Ronin ones and done properly as original ones where done and just for
    You to know ; they are also able to supply with reasonable price the original Stratos upright

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	7270

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	7273
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0451.jpg   IMG_0447.jpg  
    Last edited by LM mic; 18-10-2014 at 08:11.

I'd contacted marvic about their uprights but at 2.5k a pair, they were a bit too much money. Similar items were available elsewhere and have been for a few years but I was advised against them due to issues with cracking of the castings. By the time you factor in the stratos bearing and hub, they get pricey so I've gone down the route of a more modern machined from billet version, similar geometry to the original stratos but with a 5 x 108 pcd cartridge style bearing kindly supplied by listerbell. Radial mount ap 6720 calipers, wheel speed sensors and a few other features. With some careful design, wheels from marvic, roin, listerbell and hawk can all fit under a group 4 arch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails securedownload-6.jpg   securedownload-7.jpg   securedownload-3.jpg  
    Last edited by strat24v; 18-10-2014 at 11:51.

Re: Matt's Stradale

What diameter are the struts that fit in the marvic upright?

SEC Member

These are my wheels, refinished by Ian Jemison http://www.ianjemison.co.uk who repair and refinish magnesium wheels, but I didn't think to ask him to X-ray etc - anyway I'll use them but not 'in anger'. Those uprights look quite different to my Stradale ones (below) - they must be for competition are they?

Name:	wheels.jpg 
Views:	461 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	7281

Name:	IMG_4123.jpg 
Views:	459 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	7282

Name:	IMG_4124.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	7283
    [QUOTEtt=LM mic;22772]I recently sourced Magnesium set of wheel from Marvic ; they are ( Just to me!) more accurate than Ronin ones and done properly as original ones where done and just for
    You to know ; they are also able to supply with reasonable price the original Stratos upright

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg 
Views:	463 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	7270

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	7273[/QUOTE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4075.jpg  

Any cracking in magnesium is usually easy to see visually due to the coarse grain structure, the same with cast alumimium. The dye checking method Michel mentioned is probably the easiest method for crack detection, but won't work if the material has been media blasted (depending on the type of media) as it moves material and can close over the cracks. Dye checking requires the item to be very clean an also paint stripped. It's easy to miss cracks when x-raying thicker material, but doesn't require paint stripping, it's time consuming and expensive. Eddy current inspection is my favourite, it's quick, easy, doesn't require paint stripping and is very sensitive, you can use different fequencies to look for cracking at different levels in the material, high freq for surface, low freq for sub surface. It requires a refence standard made of the same material as you're going to inspect with a sample crack to calibrate the machine but any NDT firm would have dosens of these. If you lived close I'd do the eddy current on them for you.

There will be NDT firms around that would do it for you if you're concerned, it's not usually cheap though. I'm lucky, I walk down to the end of our hangar and do it myself, I was in our NDT dept for three years and they still let me use the equipment. The thermal infrared is a cool toy to play with!

Alodine/Alochrome are brand names, the conversion coating is chromic acid, diluted of course, not too harmful on metal, not very friendly for your body. If you can get an alodine touch-n-prep pen use that, they're great, just apply and wait for it to dry, no need to flush the area.
    Last edited by Fingers; 18-10-2014 at 22:39.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

SEC Member

Thanks Paul; I will investigate the Eddy route as they have already been refinished and am not sure there will be much left of them if I repeat the process!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
    Any cracking in magnesium is usually easy to see visually due to the coarse grain structure, the same with cast alumimium. The dye checking method Michel mentioned is probably the easiest method for crack detection, but won't work if the material has been media blasted (depending on the type of media) as it moves material and can close over the cracks. Dye checking requires the item to be very clean an also paint stripped. It's easy to miss cracks when x-raying thicker material, but doesn't require paint stripping, it's time consuming and expensive. Eddy current inspection is my favourite, it's quick, easy, doesn't require paint stripping and is very sensitive, you can use different fequencies to look for cracking at different levels in the material, high freq for surface, low freq for sub surface. It requires a refence standard made of the same material as you're going to inspect with a sample crack to calibrate the machine but any NDT firm would have dosens of these. If you lived close I'd do the eddy current on them for you.

There will be NDT firms around that would do it for you if you're concerned, it's not usually cheap though. I'm lucky, I walk down to the end of our hangar and do it myself, I was in our NDT dept for three years and they still let me use the equipment. The thermal infrared is a cool toy to play with!

Alodine/Alochrome are brand names, the conversion coating is chromic acid, diluted of course, not too harmful on metal, not very friendly for your body. If you can get an alodine touch-n-prep pen use that, they're great, just apply and wait for it to dry, no need to flush the area.

SEC Member

Work in progress

Name:	Hawkrear1.jpg 
Views:	400 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	7303

Name:	hawkfront2.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	7304

Name:	front 1.jpg 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	7305

Various suspension bits progressing...

SEC Member

Re: Work in progress

Name:	frontcom3.jpg 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	7306

Name:	frontcom2.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	7307

Name:	rear3.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	7308

Name:	front com1.jpg 
Views:	405 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	7309

Trying to find space for three whales in a mini... - aircon (fake heater box is now air con unit), battery and spare - v rough at moment but hopefully it will work!

SEC Member

Re: Work in progress

Making some progress but with a slightly different approach: all steel floor and front section (photos are a Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151110_120756.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	8967bit rubbish- apologies)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151105_185059.jpg