Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member USA

Re: New member USA

Don't think Gerry offers owt bar Alfa or 246/308. Itll be the usual case of sort it yourself. Get the feeling it'll be either fit the engine 6 inches higher or new rear frame with redesigned wishbones/links etc.
    Last edited by strat24v; 07-12-2014 at 09:00.

Quote Originally Posted by turbonutter View Post
    Strange to choose the hawk, as I didnt know thy offered a chassis for the Toyota engine - while ListerBell have a purpose made chassis to accommodate the shape of the Toyota engine.
    YOU're absolutly right Neil ; plus the fact Craig's bodywork is so easy to fit on the chassis and less work with final aspect due to the fact LB panels are directly in colored gel coat !!

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by turbonutter View Post
    Strange to choose the hawk, as I didnt know thy offered a chassis for the Toyota engine - while ListerBell have a purpose made chassis to accommodate the shape of the Toyota engine.
    Should have made it clear that I have found a complete, older HF2000. It is not just a kit and it is in the states. So shipping will be a bit, since it is 1300 miles (around 2000kms) away, but less waiting, less shipping etc than trying to buy either kit new.
    In the states there are so few kits or cars available that I am amazed to have found one to purchase in the first place. I also looked at it and came to the conclusion that, while I have the capacity to modify the chassis, if I need to, I can not generate an entire kit (especially the body) out of thin air. This is a complete car, that needs a thorough refresh, but I intend to drive it on its current motor for some time after I get it sorted. At that point I will do some more engine research. Looking at the weight, power, cost etc., I see why so many favor the Alfa 164 motor. It is light, relatively powerful, and makes good sounds for a V6. I may already have been convinced to use this as a future upgrade, unless I can work out a source for a 3 liter QV.
    I have decided that I could trade a bit of performance for the right "feel". It seems that many replica owners have done the same thing. While a 2grfe(or any number of modern aluminum block engines) offers great performance, they may lack a bit of something "Italian".
    Last edited by mr2by4; 07-12-2014 at 13:31.

Thanks- that makes much more sense!

the later 164 has a 24v motor- not sure if it came to the us though. The problem with the 12v is to find spare parts as they are getting a bit old!

Free user

Yes we got the 24 valve too. I think those parts are actually more expensive than the 12 valve tho here.

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by bosmass View Post
    Yes we got the 24 valve too. I think those parts are actually more expensive than the 12 valve tho here.
    After a look around there is no economical incentive to the DOHC. I assume that there is a performance bump, so I will do my best to get the later variant if possible.

Free user

It is here. Big thanks to the members who made it possible. How incredible this has been! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141222_161650_982.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	7638 Here is a shot of my good friend and mechanic (he works on Toyota MR2's but has a Norwood turbo kit on his 1978 Ferrari 308). Despite having his own "real" 70's Italian supercar, he was super jealous. Who could not believe that he got to see one in person, and drive it of course!
    We got a lot done in one day, but have a long way to go.

SEC Member

That does look nice, I like the nice clean lines of the Stratos without lighting pods on the front.

That said if I got lucky on the lottery then I'd be rallying in the forests with a fully stickered-up Alitalia replica with enough lighting to illuminate the moon

Free user

I am going to do a bit of what we call Rallycross here.
    When I asked about classing my car they wet themselves. It is nice that the Stratos reputation extends even to the provinces!

Great looking car !