Thread: Alfa Romeo Milano

Free user

Alfa Romeo Milano

I see one is for sale locally on craigslist. It is an 87 model. It is obvious the car is rear wheel drive, but the motor looks nearly identical to the V6 that is in the north american 164. Does anyone know if they used the same motors?

Don't need a new project or anything, just curious.

Free user

Re: Alfa Romeo Milano

There is a Alfa 164 for sale here in San Jose. I'm thinking of buying it - I'm going to check it out tonight or tomorrow. Problem is - its aut automatic. I was speaking with Paul; my question is whether its worth getting and trying to source a manual tranny as well. The price might just be too good to be true. Also - I have no idea how to check out an engine and determine if its acceptable.

The Milano will have the wrong sump.
    A transverse Alfa V6 (164 and similar) is canted (leaning), and fits the transverse manual Alfa box at that positon.
    Otherwise it's the same, apart from the inlet/fuel injection arrangement.

People have used auto engines, but there are more parts to source as a result. Flywheel, clutch parts, gearbox etc. etc.

The Milano also uses a transaxle so like an Auto you would will be looking for a flywheel as well as the other issues.

Why the need for the Alfa engine when there are better and easier options to obtain and some deft work on cam covers will create all the illusion that is necessary.

What Engine/box option would you be looking at Darkspeed?

Free user

For me, I have a Hawk/transformer, so the Alfa engine is a good fit, gives the right sounds and makes good power. The issue is finding a decent S or 24v version in the US. I guess I could just pick up an L engine and upgrade the bits later as I can source cams etc. I also like the idea of keeping the spirit of the original. I do not plan to compete in my car seriously, so weight and power are not the greatest motivator. A degree of authenticity and addition of an Italian pedigree is fun.

I think I would have to be investigating the Ford Cyclone engine just fro the Ginetta link plus - Mazda, Toyota, Honda etc. Or the GM engine which the Alfa 3.2 is a family member of (Holden) - certainly investigating the 3.6 litre version. With so many V6 options in the states I would think you would be spoilt for choice.

Quote Originally Posted by The Slug View Post
    What Engine/box option would you be looking at Darkspeed?

Free user

If you are willing to fabricate and trail blaze, then yes, there are many options. If you want something that has a tried and true success rate, and results in a great sounding and strong running car, then the Alfa V6 makes an attractive option. I thought I would want to put a 2GRFE or a vq into my car, but neither fit well into my chassis and I am more interested in driving mine than working on it. That is not to say that those who have perpetual projects are any less satisfied than I am. We both are enjoying our cars in our own way.