Thread: LB Stratos as an occasional track day car?

SEC Member

LB Stratos as an occasional track day car?

Hi all

I'm very seriously considering a Lister bell kit , however my one dilemma is I do want to do a few track days. I'm unsure how the stratos with its short wheel base will behave particularly in fast corners. I have done a lot of trackwork in Elise based cars, which are fairly rear engined biased. They do snap at the limit but the limit is very high and you always feel safe at silly speeds.

I will be going for a test drive soon but I will never be able to push the car like I want to on a test drive, so I'm interested in you guys opinions. Do you feel like a bag of nerves when pushing it hard, or is it controllable?
    I've seen the autocar review , but want some more thoughts.

Thanks!

SEC Member

Re: LB Stratos as an occasional track day car?

Hi Jason,

I can't answer your question directly as I'm just starting out on my ListerBell build. The Stratos did/does have a reputation for swapping ends owing to its short wheelbase, the trick is always to adapt one's driving style to strengths/weaknesses of the vehicle concerned.

As I intend to do a few track days myself my strategy is:-
    1. Get my mate's help to set up the ride and handling. He has worked as a chassis engineer in the motorsport industry and whilst that doesn't change the laws of physics, it might help. Initially mine will have a standard LB setup. Then we'll go play on a circuit or airfield and see what can be done to fine tune it. We'll see what happens after that.
    2. I intend to retain some of the systems from my donor Alfa 166 to help tame the LB. The STR (Sports Throttle Response) should be simple to retain (drive by wire throttle, normal or sports mapping set by a single switch). More challenging will be retaining the ABS, traction control and stability control, but I think it can be done with a bit of thoughtful engineering. All can be switched off if more adrenalin is required.
    3. Learn to drive better!

At the end of the day I want something that looks like a Stratos (because nothing else in my eyes looks as good as a Stratos) and puts a smile on my face. If I wanted an ultimate lap time I'd go buy something like an Ariel Atom.

Several members on the site have raced a Stratos with great effect, admittedly not the Listerbell version, although there are a couple that have been raced abroad, You can find photos on the site of them if you look in the threads, but I cannot see it being any worse than any of the others manufactures cars, and with the more modern suspension and brakes may be better.
    Where will you be having your test drive? do you have a "Safe" area to try it out?

Free user

Tires are going to be the most important factor. If you have a car that you are comfortable in at the limit and the steering/tires give you good feedback, I would suggest going with them on the LB and then working on your set-up to get the chassis to do what you want.

That said there is ~5.0 inches difference in the wheelbase from an original stratos(2,180 mm (85.8 in)) to the elise(2,300 mm (90.6 in)). The stratos is a bit wider also.

Have you seen the autocar test drive though? I probably drool over this car every morning while at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvs5jRi4h80

Doesn't look like he's going 10/10th's, but he's not poking about either. Also mentions understeer/oversteer.
    Last edited by monoposto; 11-02-2015 at 00:55.

I have done a lot of trackwork in Elise based cars, which are fairly rear engined biased. They do snap at the limit but the limit is very high and you always feel safe at silly speeds.

All cars including an Elise will have it's limits....... it's just about finding the limit of you and the car.............. wether you go for LB or Hawk you will have to find that limit.......... however when you get it right it is most rewarding

I've had two Hawk Stratos and an S1 Elise.
    Depending on how it is set up, a Stratos is a little harder to control after the rear breaks away.
    The reality is that they hang on in exactly the same way, so it's unlikely you'll ever get near that limit. There's nothing to worry about, a well set up Stratos is a hoot to drive.

SEC Member

thanks for the replies . I've seen a number of you track them . Im not actually after ultimate lap time just a feeling of being in control . I just want to have a controlled brake away not a spinning top without any warning!
    thanks a lot

Hello
    One thing very interesting to do is to contact Craig and have a chat and visit him personnaly telling your thoughts about a track day car , etc ; this chat will may be more informative that you can expect
    Last edited by LM mic; 11-02-2015 at 09:44.

A Good set up is essential and good tyres and they are very driveable.
    Grab it by the scruff of the neck and throw it around and it gets even better