Glad you all enjoyed it... I did.....18 folks altogether I think
    And even a foreigner !!!

Cheers Phil
    Welsh piloti rally sono i migliori del mondo

SEC Member

Re: Garage Day 2015

Hi Phil,
    Thanks for Saturday's garage day.
    It was nice to meet everyone and chat about builds.
    Regards,
    Paul.

Sorry to have missed it, especially as I have now noticed you are only a stone's throw (via catapult) from the in-law's farm @ NG14 6NX. Next time?

Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    sorry to have missed it, especially as i have now noticed you are only a stone's throw (via catapult) from the in-law's farm @ ng14 6nx. Next time?
    i drive by there to work !.......................... Toooooo close to miss !

Spoke to a few people about the issues I've been having following the strip, rewire and LHD conversion whilst at the garage day. Thanks to everyone for your input, I've been tearing what little hair I have left out for a while now and have been struggling to find time to focus on the car for 6 months now. The problem was that the car would start but needed throttle to keep it running and even then it was rough even when warm. Actually it had taken a while to get to even that stage with a completely new loom bar what was connected to the engine..... Mel suggested the IACV could be the cause, Chris Smith the wires at the temperature sender for the ECU feed. Phil and Rob suggested air leaks in the convoluted hoses.

Well hoses were the easiest to check and they are all in great condition, no splits or leaks to be seen.

The IACV valve was next, Mel said it should hum when switched on but it didn't. So I tried another one. Then another one and finally a fourth one. Nothing audible from any of them. So, check the wiring diagrams, identify the power and ground feeds and chucked a spare on a battery and it flipped open. Just like the other three. Checked the wiring on the spare test harness against the one in the car and everything matched nicely. So the culprit wasn't the IACV. And I have 3 good spares too so it'l never fail.

Whilst in the mood to check the loom I traced the coolant temperature sender wires to both the diagram and the spare loom and then checked the car. Identical and correct. Chris also suggested that there might be a break in the wire but the continuity test plus pulling and twisting the cables didn't have any effect. Sprayed some contact cleaner over the connections and the plug, let it dry but that had no effect.

Bald now.

Desperation was setting in and I was about to rip the engine harness off and put the spare one on to try that, jury rigging it but that would have been a day's work. Thought about it a little more. Tried a different ECU. Nothing. Except a slight smell of fuel. And a puddle. A big puddle. Oh crap!!!! Yup, split fuel line on the high pressure side. An hour later and it's all cleaned up and the garage aired. Down to Halfords for some new injector hose and replaced the split section and checked every inch of the rest of the hose which appears okay. Try again, this time there's enough pressure in the fuel rail to start the engine but still won't run right or tick over.

Easter weekend rapidly disappearing and mood getting worse.

One last thing to check before the loom gets swapped out. Sensors. I pulled a temperature sender off a spare thermostat housing and cleaned it up a little. Original Bosch one. Moved the fuel tank and pulled the old one out. Looked new, bright and shiny, a "Febi" aftermarket one. Then instantly regretted not pushing the car out of the garage to do it when I dropped the copper washer on the floor. More puddles, antifreeze this time. Eventually retrieved it, fitted the Bosch sensor, connected the wiring and tried again. Sorted.

Now I can move onto something else. At last.

Guy

That was a nightmare. At least it's in the past!

Hope you dont get too many problems like that!

Glad you got it sorted! And Glad I run an aftermarket ECU - much easier to find faulty sensors - lots of other disadvantages, but at least fault finding is easier!