Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WANTED. 166 V6 3.0 solid flywheel and clutch

Re: WANTED. 166 V6 3.0 solid flywheel and clutch

Hi Chris,
    Pretty sure my 164 flywheel is without any trigger pattern, & as such will have the material missing for balancing, so no way to fit the trigger ring.

Some triggers are bolted on, this is the DMF flywheel i sent to ttv when they made my new flywheel - Definately a bolt on type....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flywheel From 164.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	147.9 KB 
ID:	8157

There is a GTA flywheel on ebay or Here or Flywheel & clutch but as you said you didnt want the expense.....

Quote Originally Posted by NoCorseChris View Post

Nick, thank you for looking it out and taking the pics. Good of you. Yes please, I'll grab that if I may. Don't know when I'll next be in your neck of the woods though - are you OK to hang on to it for a bit for me?
    No problem hanging on to it, if you want it just message me when you want to pick it up, I'm in Kegworth just north of Loughborough
    Cheers
    Last edited by red5; 11-04-2015 at 19:34.

Quote Originally Posted by turbonutter View Post
    There is a GTA flywheel on ebay or Here or Flywheel & clutch but as you said you didnt want the expense.....
    ...that's half my suspension budget... Well, probably not, but I am really trying to do this one on a budget this time. Interesting variation in the DMFs isn't it. Maybe as yours was a GTA it was different? Be interesting to see what the unit on the donor looks like when I get into it. I never saw any signs of triggers on 164 flywheels - they were all at the other end weren't they.

A new DMF is absurdly expensive so if it comes to it, I'll have to convert...just trying to see if I can do it on the cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    No problem hanging on to it, if you want it just message me when you want to pick it up, I'm in Kegworth just north of Loughborough
    Cheers
    Many thanks Nick - will do.
    Last edited by NoCorseChris; 11-04-2015 at 22:21.

...that's half my suspension budget... Well, probably not, but I am really trying to do this one on a budget this time. Interesting variation in the DMFs isn't it. Maybe as yours was a GTA it was different? Be interesting to see what the unit on the donor looks like when I get into it. I never saw any signs of triggers on 164 flywheels - they were all at the other end weren't they.

A new DMF is absurdly expensive so if it comes to it, I'll have to convert...just trying to see if I can do it on the cheap!

Many thanks Nick - will do.
    I thought the flywheels would be over your budget! The one for £120 isnt a bad price though if anyone else is looking....

Not sure what engine the DMF I had was off, I think it was a late 164. It came from JH's stock of usefull parts, as my GTA engine was missing the flywheel when i got it.. (GTA's dont have DMF's anyway do they!).

Plonker I am...of course the GTA is a solid flywheel. Didn't realise they started fitting DMFs that early, but then it's not a topic I've ever had much interest in until now, bit like DPFs too....another "good idea".

That £120 one isn't too bad, clutch kit can be had for £130, plus some crank bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by red5 View Post
    Cheers
    Nick, I've weakened and bought a solid FW so won't be needing that DMF now. Thank you for the offer though, jolly decent of you.

Might be worth offering it on ebay? It's a tricky one - they are flippin' expensive new, so a good used one has to be worth something....but who would want to risk having a used one fitted given all the labour involved?

Nick, I've weakened and bought a solid FW so won't be needing that DMF now. Thank you for the offer though, jolly decent of you.

Might be worth offering it on ebay? It's a tricky one - they are flippin' expensive new, so a good used one has to be worth something....but who would want to risk having a used one fitted given all the labour involved?
    No worries Chris, Ill keep it as a paper weight! Thanks for letting me know..

I can see this 'budget build' thing is going to b something of a challenge for me.....

On the bright side, I've figured out how to make use of the 166 instrument cluster. Tacho, temp & fuel are going to 'just work' as I'll be using the matching parts of course, speedo just needs a roughly 7 pulses per turn of the wheel signal. Depending on what wheels & tyres I go for, it looks like an MX5 ABS hub will work out pretty well, just need to divide the raw ABS signal by 6 and job done.