Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Getting off my arse

Re: Getting off my arse

Quote Originally Posted by NoCorseChris View Post
    I think the only concern over the fuel pump is about it's ability to suck the fuel up & over - they tend to suck badly. That said, many moons ago I fitted an EFI engine into our Marcos that had previously had a carb fed setup and did a very similar layout to what you have here - I put the HP pump on top of the fuel tank, no baffles, no swirl and it worked OK. It wasn't the right way to do it by any means, it did suffer surge once the level dropped but it did work most of the time. Later on, I re-worked it to incorporate a lift pump, swirl and proper filtering.

Pump itself looks more than up to the task.
    I don't know of many tanks that feed from the bottom of the tank, so any fuel pump will have to suck fuel out of a tank. I have used the smaller pump type on several applications before, the trick is to keep it close to the tank so that it pushes the fuel, more then sucks it.

Corky

Update, wiper is in place through the body. I have a wiper arm coming soon. Need to figure out the wiring since I don't have (or can't find) the connector from the wiring harness to the wiper motor. Then I need a 12V power source to test the motor for positioning the wiper mechanism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiperinplace.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    I don't know of many tanks that feed from the bottom of the tank, so any fuel pump will have to suck fuel out of a tank. I have used the smaller pump type on several applications before, the trick is to keep it close to the tank so that it pushes the fuel, more then sucks it.

Corky
    Here is a quote from the installation instructions for your Aeromotive pump... They say that the pump should be gravity fed..

Aeromotive Quote
    ""To use this pump in your vehicle’s fuel system, we strongly recommend the following:
    A by-pass style fuel pressure regulator must be used in the system.
    Gravity feed the pump by mounting it lower than and as close as possible to the fuel tank.
    If you are using a stock fuel tank, install a reservoir style sump in the bottom-rear of your fueltank. Exercise extreme caution and follow all manufacturer’s recommendations wheninstalling a reservoir style sump.If you choose not to install a reservoir style sump, then you must install a high flow capacityfuel tank pickup.(Installing a high flow pickup instead of a reservoir style sump mayshorten the fuel pump life and cause driveability problems. Stock fuel tanks have a smallinlet reservoir that is quickly emptied by a high flow fuel system, causing pump starvationand cavitation. When using a pickup, you should maintain at least ½ tank of fuel in thevehicle at all times, to avoid emptying the stock inlet reservoir.)Utilize AN-08 size high pressure fuel lines, fittings and o-rings for all connections from the fuel tank pickup to the fuel rails in the engine compartment. (Call Aeromotive for availability.)""

It it were me I would rethink the plumbing now, before you find out the hard way it dosent work... The pump you have can be mounted inside the tank, and as you have a nice big flange on the top, that would seem to be the way to go.

If you dont want to take my word for it, then email Aeromotive - they are very helpfull & will tell you if your system will work or not..

Quote Originally Posted by turbonutter View Post
    The pump you have can be mounted inside the tank, and as you have a nice big flange on the top, that would seem to be the way to go.
    I don't know about you, but I really can't think about putting anything that might create an electrical spark inside a gas tank. I will contact the manufacturer of the pump.

A bit of advice from a Building Services Engineer.
    Most pumps require a Net Positive Suction Head NPSH to work correctly. That is to make sure the pump is 'pushing' the fluid rather than pulling it. Try pulling water! There are some special exceptions, but not many.
    That is why even if you have a heating system in your house with the pump in the airing cupboard, there will a tank in the roof above it, to keep the pump suction inlet under a positive pressure. This stops the liquid cavitating in the pump which can damage the pump.
    If the pump is approx halfway up the side of the tank everything will be fine when the tank is more than half full as the pump inlet will be under positive pressure. Less than half full the pump will be sucking. - Not good.

Would you rather pull or push a dog on a lead!

Steve
    Last edited by hollytree; 12-07-2015 at 07:44.

Quote Originally Posted by hollytree View Post

Would you rather pull or push a dog on a lead!

Steve
    Kick its arse and let it pull you !!!!
    Welsh piloti rally sono i migliori del mondo

No just a joke I dont like cruelty to mans BEST friend.
    Welsh piloti rally sono i migliori del mondo

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    I don't know about you, but I really can't think about putting anything that might create an electrical spark inside a gas tank. I will contact the manufacturer of the pump.
    Most manufacturers put the pumps in the tank, I think that suction assembly you have in your tank would have had a pump in it in the car it came from. The top of my tank is too small, so it wasnt an option for me. Lets see what aeromotive have to say.........

But a second quote from the instructions says this:

Note: Failure to mount the pump lower than and close to the fuel tank may cause the pump to run dry, resulting inextreme pump wear! Make sure the pump is located lower than and as close as possible to the fuel tank, so thatthe pump is always supplied with fuel!

Here is an aeromotive pump installed in tank - Different to yours, but the same principle should work, a nice sock pre filter and you are done...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel_Pump_Upgrade_6_zps2fffe3d5.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	8545
    Last edited by turbonutter; 12-07-2015 at 13:09.

Neil (aka Turbonutter), I hear what you are saying, but every in-tank fuel pump in any vehicle that I have had that had one, had all electrical connection on the outside of the tank. I've been doing some searching for 'lift' pumps, looks like most of them are for diesels (haven't found one for a gasoline engine yet). So my question is, can I use a lift pump in-line with my pump? By using a lift pump, would I still have to put the in-line pump lower then that tank? Of course you know, this is delaying the completion of my car, LOL. Remember, I am in the USA and any pumps that you might have available in the UK may not be available in the USA, so if you make suggestions, please note the brand name of the pump and I will try to find if it is available here.

SEC Member

Hi Corky
    for in tank installation, the pump is sealed so danger of sparks from motor, etc is removed. All in tank installations have external connections as you mention but the wires still go inside to the pump. Just need to make sure proper fuel resistant wire insulation and secure connections.

rather than a lift pump why not just move your pump and mount on the floor? This will give it the continuous head of fuel it needs.

If I was doing it again I'd definitely go the in tank route with an integrated swirl pot. My setup works well but there's a lot of plumbing due to two pumps and swirl pot, which apart from cost is ok and works well but access is very difficult with engine in place - consider this also

best regards
    Paul