Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Getting off my arse

Re: Getting off my arse

Paul, if that is all it would take, then I would do that, but everyone seems to be saying that I need to be pulling fuel from an outlet at the bottom of the tank (or I am misunderstanding what they are trying to tell me).

Anyway, I put the engine in to check clearances, good think I did. This is the first time the engine have been in with all the accessories in place. With the pump in the current position, the outlet is right between the alternator and the A/C pump, almost touching. so I will definitely be placing the pump lower in the engine bay. I have some more nut-serts on order, when they get here I will re-locate the pump at or below the bottom of the tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clearances.jpg   engineintemp.jpg  
    Last edited by tipo158; 13-07-2015 at 01:03.

SEC Member

My alternator is even closer than that to the rear bulkhead, but as I look at your photos, I'm wondering if you have a single or double skin? Mine is double skinned with fire-retardant insulation in between, but my engine had to be set slightly further forward than normal to resolve a clearance issue with the gearbox due to a slight error on the chassis. Luckily, not much clearance is needed because the Corse engine mounts allow almost no movement.

Also, I'm in Seattle until Wednesday - depending schedules, maybe there's a chance to meet - see PM I sent earlier

Regards
    Paul

In all the fuel injection installations I have ever been involved with we have always mounted the high pressure pump as low as possible (basically level with the bottom of the tank) with the shortest inlet pipe possible & have used the head of fuel to feed the pump. Predominantly the pump used was the Bosch 044 and they pump rather than suck so need the head of fuel to draw from.

In your case Corky I'd look at fitting an in tank pump especially with the way you have configured the top of your fuel tank. I'll email you a picture of a solution.
    Alternatively drill a hole down low in the side of the tank, fit a bulkhead fitting & a short alloy pick up pipe to the bottom of the tank & this could allow you to run the external system you have fitted.

As Paul says, a second skin of aluminium on the rear bulkhead with a 1" insulator sandwiched between the skins will help keep the noise & the heat out of the passenger area.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

So, just had a visit from Paul, his daughter will be attending a university near me, so he stopped by after their orientation. Got some pointers from him, we discussed the fuel system and I think I will be going the in-tank method. It is always best to get in-person feedback, the discussion flows much easier. I realize that I am not as far along as I thought, so need to press on.

Asked a lot of questions and did a lot of searching for a throttle pedal, but in the end couldn't find anything here in the USA that worked the way I wanted it to, so I went with my first choice, a throttle pedal assembly out of a FIAT X1/9. Might be a little high off the floor because I had to clear the cooling tubes, but I can always add a block under it for my foot to rest on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gaspedal.jpg  

Painted the front louver section today. I got a color match at my local paint shop. There is dust on the body, but if you look at the wheel flairs, you can see it is pretty close.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails louverspainted.jpg  
    Last edited by tipo158; 20-07-2015 at 01:35.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    Asked a lot of questions and did a lot of searching for a throttle pedal, but in the end couldn't find anything here in the USA that worked the way I wanted it to, so I went with my first choice, a throttle pedal assembly out of a FIAT X1/9. Might be a little high off the floor because I had to clear the cooling tubes, but I can always add a block under it for my foot to rest on.
    X1/9 type throttle pedal on an original Stradale:
    http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/album...achmentid=4255

Took some pictures of my car this morning, here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 07202015-1.jpg   07202015-2.jpg   07202015-3.jpg   07202015-4.jpg   07202015-5.jpg  

Back at it again, since the last time I posted I have permanently installed the center section, so now I can finalize the other body sections and doors installed properly. Latest install is the front inner fenders (if that is the right term) and did a rough trim for clearance. Next is the front rain flaps.

Corky

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leftsideinner.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	8675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rightsideinner.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	8676

SEC Member

Hi Corky
    There's supposed to be a wire spring clip retainer for the Ford front brake pads. It's missing on the photos, so just wondering if you have that part? I ask because in my case, what came with the pads was not correct (or not included - I can't remember) and I had a hard time tracking down the correct part due to multiple variants. If you need it, I'll have a spare shortly when I get round to my planned brake upgrades

Splash guards look good - you'll probably need to trim the tops and side to provide a consistent gap for the rubber seal between the top edge and the front clam once you put that in place
    Regards
    Paul