Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Getting off my arse

Re: Getting off my arse

Quote Originally Posted by bosmass View Post
    What I ended up doing before I put the body on was getting the wheels set up in acceptable positions, at least to my eye. Basically as close as possible toe, camber etc. still all by eye. I also matched adjustments side to side so that if i ended up making changes on one side I was pretty sure of what the other was going to be. On my kit which is all Lister Bell, there were only changes made to the interior wheel well panels to clear the rear tires (15" wide oem style) on full shock.

With all of that being said, now my engine is in the suspension has settled more and things need a final adjustment. I think there is a newer dimension sheet that shows the optimal set up. I saw it posted a few months ago.
    Yes, I did the visual close setup also, just haven't done the final, by the numbers, setup. Paul and I have a similar setup, Corse chassis's with Lister-Bell bodies.

Corky
    Last edited by tipo158; 01-09-2015 at 21:00.

I have decided to go with an in tank fuel pump, but as you can see from the photo, the leads for the pump are a little short. I had a hard time finding the correct in fuel tank wire, but finally located some. They listed their wire to be purchased by the foot with a ten foot minimum, so since I only needed about 3 feet, I ordered the minimum, the other photo is what they sent me. I'd be willing to bet that there is more then ten feet on each spool. Now I am waiting for the gland to put through the plate so that I can pass the wires through it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fueltankwire.jpg   intankfuelpump2.jpg  
    Last edited by tipo158; 20-09-2015 at 20:35.

Well, I thought I had all the parts to finish the tank. Needed new connectors for the longer wires for the fuel pump and couldn't find them locally so I had to order them on the internet. The round over valve needed a bulkhead fitting like I told the man at the speed shop (who assured me I didn't). So I located the gland for the wires to path through the tank top as well as the location for the rollover valve. In the photo, the black and blue piece is the out flow of the tank, the blue and red piece in the return line, the blue, red and gold piece is the rollover valve, the black piece is the gland for the wiring. So, sometime next week, the rest of the parts should get here and I can put the tank back together.

Corky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fueltanktop.jpg  

Finally got the connectors that I needed, the intank fuel pump is now wired and installed.

Corky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fueltankwirednow.jpg  

Modified the plug wire ends so that I can use the coil pack I have. Need to figure out a mounting bracket for the coil pack. Thinking about mounting it so it is in the approximate spot where a distributor would be. I spent way too much time trying to find either a wire set that I could use or a coil pack that would work with the plug wires that I had. Now I'm trying to decides which way I want to set up the injection system, paired or sequential. Still a ways from getting the engine running.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plugstocoil.jpg  

Well, I've been having several frustrating days. If I had this to do over again, I would not have purchased the kit that I did. I also wish that there had been full disclosure of exactly what the kit was made up of. The kit was not built as a kit, it was an old chassis, some suspension parts and a bunch other assorted parts that looked like they would be needed for completion of the kit. I am finding that parts are not what they should be, so I'm either having to alter them or fab new parts if I can not source them. There is a LB kit coming to my area, so I will be able to see what a proper kit car looks like when it was build as a unit. I'm sure that I will eventually finish my car, but the frustration of every time I go to do something and things don't fit, or the parts are the wrong ones, or the parts are incomplete or broken, is taking a toll.

SEC Member

Hang in there Corky, and keep us all posted on progress/issues/etc - given the collective experience of the group here who have most likely seen it all at this stage, help is always just an email/forum post away. What used to kill me during my build was I'd encounter a problem, have some kind of (usually complex) solution in mind, and always end up kicking myself when I posted the problem on the forum only to get back an ingenious and always much simpler solution from one of the usual suspects!!

Regardless of how long it takes, completing the car given where you started from will be an accomplishment to be proud of.

Regardless of how long it takes, completing the car given where you started from will be an accomplishment to be proud of. ....................

DITTO... Paul is exactly right keep going Corky, by what you have achieved so far there IS light at the end of your tunnel, my build took 10 years (on and off).........and there are still some kits out there which are the same age as mine (1988) which are not built yet !!..... just keep ticking jobs off the list no matter how small they are and one day you will get to the end of that list.

Phil
    Last edited by Sando; 20-10-2015 at 07:25.

Keep at it Corky! It's well worth it in the end.

SEC Member

Don't get disheartened Corky.
    Most builds have seen the same kind of problems at some time or another.
    For sure things have improved with the arrival of ListerBell.
    I realised some years ago that there was a wide gulf between what was acceptable as a "Kit" in the UK and in The States.
    Us plucky Brits put up with some less than acceptable quality in kits for years. In the States you have been more used to accepting a kit of parts in a box which you take out, bolt together and drive away.
    Am I right?
    As you quite rightly say your particular kit was put together from various sources.
    To be completely fair about it though, and as I understand the situation from what I was told at the time of it's export ( by you know who....) the kit was never intended to be built as a true Corse, but to be re-engineered using US components, based on the Corse chassis and body. In fact I think it was to be the start of a "US manufacturing initiative" and "this time next year we'll all be millionaires", scenario.
    If I remember correctly it wasn't even going to have an Alfa engine.
    As recently discussed in another thread there is a great deal of support available here so dip in any time.
    I've survived on it for the past few months!
    No such thing as a daft question or statement either, I should know I've asked enough!