Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting off my arse

Getting off my arse

Well I think it is time for the final push to finish my car. I've got a few things that need solved, but nothing that seem insurmountable. I purchased a wiper unit fro a Lotus Elise thinking it would be an ideal fit, well it is not, so I need to know what people are using for wiper units on their cars. Remember, I live in the USA and need something that is available here. There is a cars show at the end of July that I am planning to enter the car (actually already have sent in the entry fee). So, I will try to keep everyone up to date with photos.

Corky

SEC Member

Re: Getting off my arse

Hi Corky,
    Attaboy fella, good luck with the final push.
    You may already have a bracket welded to the top rail of your front bulkhead. Under the scuttle ?
    That should provide you with a mounting for a three bolt wiper motor, Lancia, Alfa or whatever you can get your hands on.
    After that you need a wiper spindle which has enough threaded length to go through your bodywork. Probably not such a great length on your LB body. The old Corse body you had might have been 1/2" thick where the spindle penetrates the body.
    You can make up a simple linkage to join motor to spindle.
    I found out recently that the length of the arm directly fixed to the spindle is the only thing which affects the arc the wiper arm moves through.
    I can post you a picture of s typical Corse linkage next time I'm on my PC.
    See also a recent thread which described somebody else's experience in fitting a boat/yacht single wiper motor which had an integral spindle.

SEC Member

Hi Corky

See this from a while back (3 years!!) - about 1/2 way down the thread you'll see my Corse/Listerbell installation details using the Alfa 164 motor. Middle photo shows motor/linkage/spindle pretty clearly

http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showt...36-Corse-wiper

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Corky

See this from a while back (3 years!!) - about 1/2 way down the thread you'll see my Corse/Listerbell installation details using the Alfa 164 motor. Middle photo shows motor/linkage/spindle pretty clearly

http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showt...36-Corse-wiper

Regards
    Paul
    Strange Paul, I am part of that post, but don't remember it. I will probably have to see if I can buy a new 164 wiper motor, I think I recycled the one out of the 164 donor car I had.
    Last edited by tipo158; 26-05-2015 at 12:22.

SEC Member

Here's a picture of what has been made for the Corse in the past.
    Photo courtesy of Mick some time ago I recall.
    It's made from parts of a 164 linkage. I don't think the dimensions are totally critical but you do need to keep it compact. Depending of course on whether you are using a normal Corse bracket?
    As far as I've been able to work out, and it's worked for me, the only dimension which actually affects the arc through which the wiper arm sweeps is the length of the arm on the wiper spindle itself.
    If you could make this adjustable by incorporating a rod end then I think you would have all bases covered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiperlinkage.jpg  

I went through my scrap parts and found the wiper mechanism and wiper motor, but I think I'm missing a needed part of the wiper motor. I also looked at the mounting bracket on the frame and notice that the hole pattern is different then the hole pattern needed, so I'll have to re-drill the correct hole pattern. So, looking at these parts, what parts do I need to keep?

Corky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wiper 1.jpg   wiper 2.jpg   wiper 3.jpg  

SEC Member

Hi Corky

You're missing the arm that attaches to the motor shaft (as shown in the photo John posted). You then need a spindle that's threaded so you can clamp it to the fiberglass and attach that to the arm that you're missing - basically everything in John's photo + your motor and you're good. Two approaches you can take:

Find a threaded spindle from something else - if you look at my photos, you'll see the part I used - it came from a Ferrari mondial or 308 via ebay (and not expensive strangely enough)

Or, do what Holytree did and reuse a piece of the Alfa assembly you show in your last photo. It's a nice solution - see the thread I linked earlier - he had a threaded bolt drilled out for the spindle and used 2 nuts to mount it on the scuttle. Here's the piece you'll need from your part:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiper 3.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	8381

The spindle is easily removed - there's a circlip on the top (opposite side to your photo) holding it in place

Today I order a lot of parts for the car, so while I'm waiting I decided to see what needs to be done to the finish of the body as it comes from Lister-Bell. The top photo was before I started prepping the finish, the middle photo I just used a first cut polishing compound, the second I first sanded with 1500 grit wet-dry sandpaper, then the first cut compound. That gave me the desired finish to do the whole, then finish that with a finish polish compound.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beforestarted.jpg   firstcutnosand.jpg   1500sandandfirstcut.jpg  

Oh, and I couldn't find the motor shaft, so now the search begins for that.

Corky

Body Work is looking good