Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Getting off my arse

SEC Member

Re: Getting off my arse

Just took a quick look at mine - the housing I used was slightly too large also, so I cut it down and also enlarged the opening in a few discrete places. The surgery is covered by the trim ring, so no big deal. However, I did use a plastic housing so it was easier to cut down to size than your metal one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1868.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	9044

Name:	IMG_1869.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	9045

Name:	IMG_1870.JPG 
Views:	140 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	9046

Name:	IMG_1871.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	9047

an example of the housing style I used: http://www.waxoyl-usa.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=WIPAC
    or http://www.7ent.com/products/headlam...tic-s5400.html
    Last edited by Paul; 06-12-2015 at 00:30.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo158 View Post
    Yea, you would think so, but this is where they ended up. The black piece lines up with the rest. If I adjust the link so it come up flush, it will not be flush when closed. But this is kind of a mute point for me because I will probably never drive it at night, so I will never need to use the lights.
    Hi Corky, I think Tim meant that the chrome ring is protruding too far through the black surround rather that the surround not fitting flush with the bodywork.

As to getting the the lamp pod to be flush when closed and the trim flush when open there's a straightforward routine to go through.

Step one is to set the adjuster rod to a length such that the pod can open/close without fouling anywhere as the actuating arm rotates on the motor spindle.
    Step two is to put the pod flush when closed and nip up the spindle nut.
    Step three is to power up the motor to the up position and then cut the power so it sits up.
    Step four, wind the adjuster open or closed so that the trim sits flush with the bodywork, counting the number of turns this takes.
    Step five, halve this number and wind the adjuster back in the opposite direction.
    Step six, slacken the spindle nut, check the pod doesn't foul as the arm rotates around the spindle, then position it so that it's flush with the body and nip up the securing nut.
    Step seven, switch the power off so that the pod drops and it should end up parked flush.
    If you still have an imbalance repeat the steps above and it'll get there!

Guy
    Last edited by Guy Mayers; 06-12-2015 at 00:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Corky

With the outer black fiberglass cover/trim ring removed, does the metal mounting ring fit into the recess on the blue housing or it's too big?
    Paul, it is pretty much flush with the outer edge, but I haven't put a light in or adjusted for proper aiming.

The headlight holding assemblies that I used are the same ones used for a FIAT X1/9, they should be the correct ones, unless the Lister-Bell group uses something different.

SEC Member

Not necessarily the right ones Corky.
    X19 items have not been right for a Corse for many years and I don't think Craig would specify them for the LB setup either

I don't actually recall what your setup is.
    Corse mechanism or LB? I know you have LB fibreglass housings there.
    I would try a plastic bowl like a Mini fitting, even if you have to cut the back off the bowl.
    You can use expanding foam around the bowl or rim to get a decent vibration free mount for the bowl inside the fibreglass housing.
    You can always sell the X19 items to someone building a Hawk!

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Not necessarily the right ones Corky.
    X19 items have not been right for a Corse for many years and I don't think Craig would specify them for the LB setup either

I don't actually recall what your setup is.
    Corse mechanism or LB? I know you have LB fibreglass housings there.
    I would try a plastic bowl like a Mini fitting, even if you have to cut the back off the bowl.
    You can use expanding foam around the bowl or rim to get a decent vibration free mount for the bowl inside the fibreglass housing.
    You can always sell the X19 items to someone building a Hawk!
    The mechanism is all LB. Which Mini are you talking about the UK Mini or the German Mini? Remember, I'm in the USA and old Mini parts may not be as available as they are in the UK.

Corky

SEC Member

Hi Corky
    See the links I provided above
    or from here: http://www.minimania.com/part/S5400/...g-Midget--Mini
    same place I got my GP4 style turn indicators

Paul

SEC Member

Yes those are the ones Paul, I thought they should be available in the States.
    If there is anything you can't source over there Corky you can always shout up and one of us will buy it here and ship it for you.
    Was probably a good move buying the LB mechanism for the headlamps.
    Just make sure that when the lamp assembly travels up and down it clears the back of the indicator unit and its wiring.
    Guys method of getting the alignment works a treat on the Mazda/Ford motors as it does with the FIAT motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Corky
    See the links I provided above
    or from here: http://www.minimania.com/part/S5400/...g-Midget--Mini
    same place I got my GP4 style turn indicators

Paul
    Thanks Paul, I didn't see your link earlier. How do you adjust the aiming on these, I don't see the adjustors in the link.

But like I said, this is not critical for me since I doubt that I will ever have the lights up except to show people that they work.

Corky

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Guys method of getting the alignment works a treat on the Mazda/Ford motors as it does with the FIAT motors.
    I believe that Craig uses Mazda lift motors. Craig provided the lift motors with the body kit I bought from him.

Corky
    Last edited by tipo158; 08-12-2015 at 19:49.