Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Getting off my arse

Re: Getting off my arse

Quote Originally Posted by hollytree View Post
    Hi
    I managed to track down the company that Lionel used to make the looms. I can email the sheets.
    NB they did not include a shielded cable for a speedo sensor over a drive shaft coupling so I had to take the loom out after it was in, unpick it, install a new Belden cable and then put it all back together again.
    I am not sure what Lionel envisaged for speedo sensing and driving the speedo. There is a unit on the gearbox, but I could never get anything out of it.
    Steve
    I have the sheets, that is what I'm talking about, they are atrocious. There are pages that are suppose to be form board diagrams, but the wire bundles looking nothing like the form board pattern. I'm retired now, but I was an electrical engineer at Boeing, I know what these things should look like. A wiring diagram that shows the entire pathway of all circuits would be nice. As for speedo sensing, I'm not sure what he was thinking either. I am using a 6 speed gearbox from an Alfa GTA, and have no idea if there is a sensor on that gearbox. I will probably do a pickup off the front rotors.

No sensor on the six speed boxes, well certainly the gta. Signal came from the abs system.

From my experience of the supplier of the Corse wiring looms I certainly wouldn't recommend him to anyone.
    The loom I had was poorly dimensioned and had enough basic errors to cause anyone problems.
    As a side note on the speed I do not think it is necessary to run a shielded cable for the speedo if you are using an ecu supplied tacho signal. I have only experienced tacho to speedo interference on cars fitted with old school ignition coil driven tacho signals.
    Finally, for the UK Iva the speedo signal needs to be taken from a driven wheel so that it can be checked/calibrated on the rollers at the actual IVA test.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Thanks strat24v, I was pretty sure that there wasn't any speed sensor on the GTA box. Strat Fan, I can believe that, I feel that whoever did the harness that I have, never had a car to verify the harness against. I will probably use it as a starting point and do the basic wiring (light, heater, and such) using it. I have a lot of wiring to do for the stand alone ECU that will take place of the not provided engine harness. Fortunately I don't have to deal with the same type of testing that you do in the UK, but it wouldn't be any different to move the pick up from a front wheel to a rear wheel.

Corky

SEC Member

Hi Corky
    I can also vouch for the inadequacies of the Corse harness. Although time consuming, I was able to figure out the diagram well enough to make it work, but did need to modify in a number of areas. One thing to be very careful of is the grounding. I found that the ground returns for a number of circuits were not sufficient - can't remember everything, but one simple example is the rear lighting harness - there were maybe half a dozen connections for the rear lights but only a single thin gauge ground return for all of them. Same with the front lights. I added quite a few additional ground wires, and grounding studs on the chassis also, and daisy chained them all back to the battery so that I wasn't relying solely on conduction through the chassis to complete the circuit (except in the case of the starter due to amount of current). There were also a few 12V supplies that I either ran thicker wires or put in relays.
    Looks like it doesn't apply to your gearbox, but I discarded the electronic sensor and ran a mechanical cable from the gearbox to a Fiat speedo instead

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Corky
    I can also vouch for the inadequacies of the Corse harness. Although time consuming, I was able to figure out the diagram well enough to make it work, but did need to modify in a number of areas. One thing to be very careful of is the grounding. I found that the ground returns for a number of circuits were not sufficient - can't remember everything, but one simple example is the rear lighting harness - there were maybe half a dozen connections for the rear lights but only a single thin gauge ground return for all of them. Same with the front lights. I added quite a few additional ground wires, and grounding studs on the chassis also, and daisy chained them all back to the battery so that I wasn't relying solely on conduction through the chassis to complete the circuit (except in the case of the starter due to amount of current). There were also a few 12V supplies that I either ran thicker wires or put in relays.
    Looks like it doesn't apply to your gearbox, but I discarded the electronic sensor and ran a mechanical cable from the gearbox to a Fiat speedo instead
    Thanks Paul, I plan on grounding my car like a Corvette, making many grounds all over the car. Daisy chaining is an idea, but on the Vette, the chassis grounds worked well.

Corky

In going over the wiring diagrams I have found out that Lionel didn't ship two harnesses when he sent everything else. the two missing are the ones from the main harness to the front lights. No problem, I can make those, but I wish I had the mating connector to the main harness.

Corky

SEC Member

Hi Corky

You might want to consider changing it rather than trying to find a matching one. I cut it off and changed to a waterproof one instead. In fact, I split the harness into two smaller waterproof connectors - they were also flatter than the Lionel supplied one which makes it easier to get them through the slot on the side panel when you need to remove the front clam

I bought a kit like this and used it in many of the exposed locations:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1354645

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Corky

You might want to consider changing it rather than trying to find a matching one. I cut it off and changed to a waterproof one instead. In fact, I split the harness into two smaller waterproof connectors - they were also flatter than the Lionel supplied one which makes it easier to get them through the slot on the side panel when you need to remove the front clam

I bought a kit like this and used it in many of the exposed locations:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...ductId=1354645

Regards
    Paul
    Good idea. Thanks

Corky