Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GTA Gearbox

strat6v

Re: GTA Gearbox

You really need to stick with the flywheel from YOUR Gta. Whole bottom end is setup with that and the harmoic balancer at the other end. Change things for differently balanced items isnt the best idea, you could send your bottom end to vibration free?

No mods to the box as such - I retained the flywhel and clutch from the 12V gearbox and used a combination of 12V push and 24V pull clutch parts to relocate the slave to somewhere convenient. As far as ratios go, the 6 speed covers basically the same span as the 5, so would be better for sprinting I'd think. Or at least, I ended up with the same mph/1000 in 6th that I'd had in 5th on the previous box. Does of course depend on which final drive ratios you had.

As John says - retain the flywheel and clutch that belongs to the engine then just use the required bits to make the clutch actuator work - they are all pretty interchangeable. Worst-case and you might have to tweak the operating arm and/or slave cylinder locating bracket. None of those things is hard.

Going back to this thread, not sure what the outcome was for Geraint, but I am using a lightened 12v flywheel on my 24v engine, with a 12v gearbox (and push-type clutch).

If I put on a 24v gearbox, what are my options regarding the clutch - assuming I will be keeping my flywheel, as it's the only one I have?

Does the 24v clutch fit onto the 12v flywheel, or does it have larger mounting bolt pcd?

With the 24v gearbox having pull-type clutch operation, if I fit a 24v clutch, does the 12v slave cylinder fit onto the 24v gearbox, using the mounting bracket for either box?

Or should I stick to push-type operation and put the 12v clutch operating arms, linkages and slave cylinder onto the 24v box, and use a 12v clutch plate too?

Will put an uprated clutch in there if I can find a suitable one, whether 12v or 24v fitting.

Cheers,
    John

As Chris has said above John, you'll need to use 12v clutch (you are right different clutch size and bold pattern to 12v). And swap actuating arms over to keep push type slave using mix of bits from both boxes. Six speed still works with 12v clutch and flywheel. Mine is same but I use Helix paddle clutch.

Cheers Rob, that all makes sense.

Does that paddle clutch work with standard flywheel and release bearing, or does that change as well?
    And dare I ask what sort of price is attached to the paddle clutch, is it a standard part from Helix?

J.R.

Quote Originally Posted by rutthenut View Post
    Cheers Rob, that all makes sense.

Does that paddle clutch work with standard flywheel and release bearing, or does that change as well?
    And dare I ask what sort of price is attached to the paddle clutch, is it a standard part from Helix?

J.R.
    Yep std flywheel fine john, not sure about std release bearing, but they do one with the plate and cover or individual parts . Both 12 and 24v listed ...... not cheap unfortunately probably near £4-500 now for al the bits.
    If youve coped ok with a standard clutch up to now I'd continue that way. Maybe just an uprated organic plate ?