Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Road Tax

SEC Member

Re: Vehicle Road Tax

Quote Originally Posted by SUSIT View Post
    Hi Chris

You can no longer SORN a vehicle that is insured for road use.

Steve
    Why do you say that Steve?

I've been looking at the following. http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motorin...sorn/9940.html

There's nothing there to say that if you have valid insurance you cannot SORN it. If you have no valid insurance it must be SORNd. If you have no tax it must be SORNd. Nothing to say you cannot SORN it if you have valid insurance.

I have SORN'd my car twice this year and during the process there is nothing to say that I have to uninsure the car for road use.

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by threep View Post
    Why do you say that Steve?

I've been looking at the following. http://www.findlaw.co.uk/law/motorin...sorn/9940.html

There's nothing there to say that if you have valid insurance you cannot SORN it. If you have no valid insurance it must be SORNd. If you have no tax it must be SORNd. Nothing to say you cannot SORN it if you have valid insurance.

Hi Gary

I suspect the article you refer to is not a recent one as it talks about renewing your SORN every year, that has not been the case for at least a couple of years (I have 3 cars on SORN)

It is to do with continous insurance enforcement rules. Having spoken to the DVLA last week as I insured my 944 so i could take it for an MOT (That I knew it would fail) I was informed I would have 14 days to tax the car and failure to tax would result in a fine. If i want to SORN the car again I will need to cancel the road insurance, which I would like to avoid doing as it will cost more money. I cant get the bits i need and the work done before the 14 days is up so will phone DVLA again tomorrow and see what they say and will post here.

Steve

SEC Member

Hi Steve,

This is the official govt site on SORN:
    https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

It says you can SORN a vehicle if you do not use or keep the vehicle on a public road. If it's not SORNd then you have to tax and insure it.

There's nothing I've seen written which says you can't insure it if it's SORNd. Tax and MOT are not a pre-requisite to get motor insurance, but of course if you drove a car without both (except to an arranged MOT) then you would most likely invalidate your insurance.

I might well be wrong, so if you find different (something written you can post a link to) then please share, but I thought the changes to the SORN rules were just to make sure that if not SORNd then you must have both tax and insurance.

SEC Member

I had missed at some point the fact that you don't have to renew a SORN annually.
    No wonder I have not been getting the reminders lately...

One thing to be very wary of though - don't trust a conversation with a DVLA/VOSA representative to be definitive. Recently, whilst trying to register a recently IVAd Westfield, the owner was instructed to grind off the Westfield chassis number and await a new one to be issued. Thankfully, the owner questioned this repeatedly until it was finally acknowledged that a mistake had been made and that the factory applied chassis number was in fact OK (like that's a surprise).

We SORN our Westfield every year for around 6 months over the winter. During that time, it has always remained insured on the standard road-use policy.

I too would like to see something in writing on the official website - hopefully this is nothing more than a confused DVLA rep.

Mine has been the same as you Chris insured all year despite being off the road. I can't see why you would want to cancel or be forced to cancel the insurance, it can sustain damage when parked up just as easily as when it's on the road, accidents and fire happen all the time.

I think the thing with SORN is you can't get it taxed if you don't have a valid MOT and insurance.

Essentially the vehicle must be:-

1. To be driven on a public road it must be Taxed, Insured (as specified in the Road Traffic Act) and have a valid MOT certificate, or untaxed & specifically being driven to an MOT testing station for a test appointment (there is no stipulation as to which MOT testing facility it is being taken, but it must be by the most direct route)
    or
    2.Sorn'd and kept off the public road

If a vehicle is Sorn'd, it may also be insured, there is no preclusion on keeping an insured vehicle that has been declared as "off road"

If the vehicle is on the road IT MUST be insured, If the vehicle is Sorn'd (off the road) IT May be insured.

To obtain Road Tax, it must be Insured (as specified in the Road Traffic Act) and have a valid MOT certificate

I hope that has clarified any ambiguity or uncertainty
    Last edited by Griff; 06-07-2015 at 19:41.

You can also drive untaxed to a pre-arranged IVA test...
    'the only circumstances in which you can drive the vehicle before completing the registrationand licensing formalities are to and from a pre-arranged IVA and/or MoT test and to and from a garagefor remedial work following failure to pass the inspection. Other than in these situations, the vehicle
    must not be used on the road until the licensing and registration formalities have been completed.'
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Essentially the vehicle must be:-

1. To be driven on a public road it must be Taxed, Insured (as specified in the Road Traffic Act) and have a valid MOT certificate, or untaxed & specifically being driven to an MOT testing station for a test appointment (there is no stipulation as to which MOT testing facility it is being taken, but it must be by the most direct route)
    or
    2.Sorn'd and kept off the public road

If a vehicle is Sorn'd, it may also be insured, there is no preclusion on keeping an insured vehicle that has been declared as "off road"

If the vehicle is on the road IT MUST be insured, If the vehicle is Sorn'd (off the road) IT May be insured.

To obtain Road Tax, it must be Insured (as specified in the Road Traffic Act) and have a valid MOT certificate

I hope that has clarified any ambiguity or uncertainty
    That's always been my understanding as well. Suspect (hope!) it's just a case of poor advice from DVLA and semantics.