Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Road Tax

SEC Member

Vehicle Road Tax

Guys a lot of you will know this but rules re road tax and car insurance have changed. Once you insure you vehicle for road use you have 14 days to tax it, failure may result in a fine (£100 I think)

Now all very well but if you have no MOT you cant tax it and unless you can trailer car to MOT station you need to insure it, great if it passes but not so good if you get a fail that needs a bit of work and parts that are hard to obtain! You can cancel your insurance and SORN car again but most companies will charge for that. As far as I can see they got you all ways.

Happy motoring

Steve

SEC Member

Re: Vehicle Road Tax

That's an interesting one there Steve.
    I insured Frederic's car with Adrian Flux before it went on the road and was quite clear to them that the car was not "on the road" but in the final stages of build. I wanted to make sure it was covered as at that point it was "stealable".
    Adrian Flux never gave out any warning of that.
    Of course as soon as it was MOT'd I went through the DVLA taxation procedure on line.
    It was certainly more than 14 days after I insured it before I MOT'd and "taxed" it.
    Nobody has got back to me yet.
    To be honest, I cannot see how they can possibly make any prosecution stick on this, unless of course there is a specific type of insurance which lets you insure the fire and theft risk without road cover.
    Adrian Flux never mentioned this to me.

After all, they cannot prevent you from insuring against losses. Human Rights Act!
    I'd guess that unless it was specified somewhere that you cannot insure for road risks without tax too then they could not proceed.
    Ain't life getting complicated!
    Last edited by john; 03-07-2015 at 10:38.

Steve

Same issue with pre-IVA insirance: Adrian Flux insured the car without MoT or Tax no problem.

Steve

While we're on the subject.
    The thing that could have caught me out a couple of years ago was this:

If you buy a car that is currently SORNed, you must re SORN or tax the vehicle as soon as the change of owner happens.
    I don't know if that has changed or got worse since we lost tax discs?
    I don't own a car of any type, so I'm a bit out of touch.

SEC Member

I phoned DVLA and they didnt give any hint as to a way round this rule, not sure when it came in, I had to insure my Porsche 944 to take it for MOT (which i knew it would fail as needs CV joint gaiter) but to see what else would cause an issue (Fuel pipes are looking a bit iffy and drivers side sill is a possible this year) but these items may take weeks to sort out as I need to find someone reliable to do the work and hope they can fit it in. My only option as i see it is to suspend the insurance and incurr a admin charge for doing so and then re SORN the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Steve

Same issue with pre-IVA insirance: Adrian Flux insured the car without MoT or Tax no problem.

Steve
    I did similar while building my LB. As soon as kit arrived I insured it with Hagerty on a 'Laid up/Project build' insurance. This gives full theft & fire cover etc. but just not road use. I then added road use from the day of the IVA test.

Mick

By the way, nice to hear you're back in the fold Steve.

SEC Member

Right Mick. Sounds like you need to speak to someone at the Broker's who knows about this option when insuring a kit then.
    I made it quite clear that I wasn't going to use the car immediately but was not offered this option.
    If taking that option keeps you off the DVLA ( or is it VOSA?) database of "on the road" cars, and away from a requirement to tax the vehicle, then it's important to be told about it!

Can you not just SORN it while you fix it and leave the insurance in place then? That's instant and zero cost, other than losing the full benefit of the insurance of course.

There is certainly a requirement for a registered vehicle to be either taxed or SORNed, sounds like they are just closing another hole rather than making a fundamental change?

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by NoCorseChris View Post
    Can you not just SORN it while you fix it and leave the insurance in place then? That's instant and zero cost, other than losing the full benefit of the insurance of course.

There is certainly a requirement for a registered vehicle to be either taxed or SORNed, sounds like they are just closing another hole rather than making a fundamental change?

Hi Chris

You can no longer SORN a vehicle that is insured for road use.

Steve

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by catswhiskers View Post
    I did similar while building my LB. As soon as kit arrived I insured it with Hagerty on a 'Laid up/Project build' insurance. This gives full theft & fire cover etc. but just not road use. I then added road use from the day of the IVA test.

Mick

By the way, nice to hear you're back in the fold Steve.
    Thanks Mick

hope to catch up with Nottingham crowd later this year.

cheers

Steve