Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blyton Track Day??

Re: Testiing at Blyton.

Yes !! seems you got the right mixture !!
    Oil temp is probably hight because you are using water to cool it ?
    is the Turbo oil return cooled with same circuit ?
    That can be too another reason to the hot oil temp
    On our twin LM turbo ( years ago !) we used to have small air cooler for return oil from turbos

Exactly - those plugs were after the days running & a cool down lap - it also seems I have the right heat grade plugs

Yes oil is cooled by water, but the water temp was good @ 80-88C.. Turbo oil return is directly back to the sump - I think I just need an extra or bigger oil cooler. I use Miller CFS oil, which is rated for 125C with peak temp of 150C, so I am just ok with the temps, but would like to be down at 120-125C as a maximum.
    Last edited by turbonutter; 17-10-2015 at 13:29.

Well been checking over the car today & decided to check the oil temp sensors....

Attachment 8880

Before the test with the sensors in air - Stack gauge was on minimum (40C) ECU sensor showed 15.5C
    With some warm water in the can --------- stack gauge read 62C & ECU 53C
    With the water heated to Boiling with a flame, so at 100C, Stack read 107C & ECU 99.2

So at 100C the gauge is over reading by 7% & the ECU is under by 0.8%.

Based on those errors:
    When the stack gauge read 138C, temp was 128C
    When the ECU read 126C, temp was 127C.

So although high, the temp is in my acceptable range.. There is an option with the Laminova cooler to insert a partial restrictor in the central bypass flow to increase the flow through the cooling channels, so that is something I could try easily...

Attachment 8881

Checking the oil pressure logs with the oil hot, it was 70psi @2500 rpm & 90psi at 6500rpm even at idle (1200rpm) it only dropped to 38psi. So all good there
    Last edited by turbonutter; 18-10-2015 at 10:37.

I think the idea of blocking the Central core works in conjunction with running it from a smaller diameter feed. Best to do some calls on cross sectional area.

Quote Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
    I think the idea of blocking the Central core works in conjunction with running it from a smaller diameter feed. Best to do some calls on cross sectional area.
    I have asked the makers if putting in a partial restrictor would cause an issue with flow/pressure drop, as my cooler installed as full flow & this was the reply:

"Thank you for using our products. I wouldn’t worry too much about the drop pressure on the coolant when putting in a restrictor, if you go to fully restricted - no by pass at all @ 20l/min dP = 0,019 bar, @ 30l/min dP = 0,133 bar
    So assemble a partial restricted plug will not affect the coolant flow rate very much. "

What is the flow rate of your coolant pump? Maybe it's a brain fart on my part but your figures show a 7 times over pressure drop on a 10 litre/min flow change?
    Last edited by strat24v; 17-10-2015 at 16:53.

Quote Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
    What is the flow rate of your coolant pump? Maybe it's a brain fart on my part but your figures show a 7 times over pressure drop on a 10 litre/min flow change?
    No idea what the flow rate of the system is, I have the Alfa mechanical pump, plus a Stewart components booster pump. The electric pump is rated at upto 55GPM, but I assume that is free flow & they dont publish a graph...
    Below is the flow graph from the Laminova site - considering there is a pretty big hole in the middle of the cooler, there is quite a pressure drop with no restricter....

I will be doing some measuring and calculating before i decide to install a plug or not....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c43.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	8882

Neil
    if you install aplug or watever restrictor you will have on the same time a drop of pressure or say flow efficiency that will not help in making a nice flow return oil .
    When we had those type of issues on twin turbo Venturi Le Mans cars we managed to increase the number of oil coolers as water cooled ones are not helping much
    on turbo engines ( specially Laminova ones !!!)

Quote Originally Posted by LM mic View Post
    Neil
    if you install aplug or watever restrictor you will have on the same time a drop of pressure or say flow efficiency that will not help in making a nice flow return oil .
    When we had those type of issues on twin turbo Venturi Le Mans cars we managed to increase the number of oil coolers as water cooled ones are not helping much
    on turbo engines ( specially Laminova ones !!!)
    the restrictor would be in the water side to close partly the central bypass hole and force more flow through the cooling channels......

I don't think the pump would generate more pressure to force extra water through, I'd think you'd see just a reduction in flow.
    Looking at a Laminova I have here, the annular outer ring has a cross sectional area of approx 190mm sq, the Centre bore 530mm sq mm.
    Last edited by strat24v; 17-10-2015 at 20:34.