Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donor 166 anyone?

Donor 166 anyone?

Nowt to do with me.....located central Scotland.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/class...t=23577&cat=93

SEC Member

Re: Donor 166 anyone?

What happens when all the donor Alfa V6's run out? This'll happen eventually, 166's/ GTA's are getting on for 12 years or more now.

A bigger problem re X1/9 parts supply too, I guess.

Cheers,
    Hedge

Alfa GTs and Brera's are coming down in price, possibly to justify the slightly higher expense would be having to use it on the road while waiting for the kit to arrive and being built up to a certain level. Good side is you will have time to check and tweek any drive train issues.
    Welsh piloti rally sono i migliori del mondo

Talking Re: Donor 166 anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by hedge View Post
    What happens when all the donor Alfa V6's run out? This'll happen eventually, 166's/ GTA's are getting on for 12 years or more now.
    Fit one of these

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2GR-FE top front view.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	8898
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1377.jpg  

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by mel lewis View Post
    Alfa GTs and Brera's are coming down in price, possibly to justify the slightly higher expense would be having to use it on the road while waiting for the kit to arrive and being built up to a certain level. Good side is you will have time to check and tweek any drive train issues.
    V6 Gt's are rare. The V6 in the Brera isn't particularly nice, nothing like as good as the ones in the 166/ GTAs.

But, yes, that Toyota lump "might" work instead!

Cheers,
    Hedge

Quote Originally Posted by hedge View Post
    V6 Gt's are rare. The V6 in the Brera isn't particularly nice, nothing like as good as the ones in the 166/ GTAs.

But, yes, that Toyota lump "might" work instead!

Cheers,
    Hedge
    Plus one on that score, the GT, 147GTA, 156 and 166 were the last models to use the Busso V6, the 159 uses GM based motors, some of which have dodgy M32 gearboxes. Mine's the 5 cylinder turbo diesel version (not sure of it's heritage but I like it!) but the V6 seems to be less tuneable than the Busso engine and nowhere near as aurally pleasant!

Guy

Although I like the idea of the Toyota I think after 300bhp the wheel base of the Stratos will make it not so pleasant to drive on a daily basis and become a "point and squirt" machine (Neil will be the one to ask though).
    If I were to fit a non Italian V6, I would head for a mid to well tuned Duratec 4 pot to lessen the rear end weight, to reduce the pendulum effect when chucking it about (having fun)....
    Welsh piloti rally sono i migliori del mondo

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    Plus one on that score, the GT, 147GTA, 156 and 166 were the last models to use the Busso V6, the 159 uses GM based motors, some of which have dodgy M32 gearboxes. Mine's the 5 cylinder turbo diesel version (not sure of it's heritage but I like it!) but the V6 seems to be less tuneable than the Busso engine and nowhere near as aurally pleasant!Guy
    Couldn't agree more.

Until y'day I was running a 159 Ti SW. I chopped it in simply because of the engine. Mine was a petrol (1.75 Tbi) that chucked out 200bhp so it went well - not that you'd know it. You might as well have had a washing machine under the bonnet. Plus it had the dreaded M32 gearbox which, tbh, was another reason I chopped it in. It was gonna let go; more a matter of when than if.

I replaced it with another Alfa Sportwagon: a 156 GTA. Good lord it's a brilliant car. If you need a load carrier that's not a 3 series/ A4 etc, buy one. Less than 100 156 SWs ever made, a stunning blue one up for sale on PH right now (with only 30k). I love mine to bits. The engine, alone, is worth it. Especially with a Wizard exhaust...

Cheers,
    Hedge

The Busso both looks and sounds great, but true enough, they are running out. Any of the Japanese V6 engines would be a good option, plenty of bigger V6 FWD packages from the US as well, and probably cheap. Personally, I still think a 4 or 5 pot turbo would be interesting. 5 pot might not sound quite as good as the Busso, but they can sound pretty good and can certainly produce the power.

Finding a 'pretty' engine might be more challenging though. Yet to see much as attractive as a nicely dressed Busso V6 in anything other than 'supercars'. Big chunk of plastic on top to hide the mess doesn't count

SEC Member

Surely the number of X1/9 parts must be seriously drying up big time by now, too?

Cheers,
    Hedge