Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coffin Spokes - Back In Production

Re: Coffin Spokes - Back In Production

Quote Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
    Not just the benefit of total weight loss but also the reaction of the dampers, it's unsprung weight, best place you could lose it from.
    ABSOLUTLY right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    These magnesium wheels , plus light big disc ( with large hollowed vans) and bespoke machined dics bells are something very very important to take in count when choosing kit options !!!!!!
    This is why I did some more little effort in details fitting "pricy" but light Titanium bolt everywhere on the uprights !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Manufacturers are-
    Hawk, 15" pressure cast aluminium
    Roin, 15" CNC billet aluminium
    TMB Racing, 15" Aluminium (unsure if sand cast or pressure cast)
    Marvic, 15" sand cast Magnesium
    Alfaholics, 15" Magnesium
    Lister Bell, 16"F,16"R Stradale, 16"F 17"R Gp4, 2 piece, cast aluminium outer, spun aluminium inner.
    There's also the sand cast magnesium coffin spokes I got from Sparwald. Unless they're one of the above? I think they were cast in northern Italy, but I'm not sure?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Udo9x152.jpg  

If these where cast in northern Italy they could be for sure Marvic ones ; the foundry is situated in Brunello ( village north of Milano about 1 hour driving)
    From the pic seems to be as they didn't have any steel "cone" pressed into every fixing hole as others brands?????

The only wheels I haven't fitted at this point in time are the TMB's & the Alfaholics versions.

The Hawk wheels are good quality & there is no question over the quality of the ones I have seen. The offsets vary slightly from the offerings from Roin & Marvic in that the wheels sit farther out in the arches which ironically works well for the LB as there is extra clearance at the back of the spoke for 4 pot brake calipers.
    I had always assumed that the Roin wheels were the same construction as the Hawk version but now I have a set of Roin's to fit I realise that this is not the case. The Roin's appear to be a 2 part construction where the inner section is spun alloy as it would be in a split rim wheel & the outer section appears to be a fully CNC'd billet section. The two halves then appear to welded together & machined back to a finish. The quality on these wheels is excellent & there is a noticeable weight saving over the Hawk wheels. The Roin's are the most difficult to fit over the front brakes however, they would fit easily with a 285mm disc & floating caliper but with a 300mm disc & 4 pot calipers things are pretty tight. The rear wheels clear my brake set up out of the box.
    The Marvic wheels are obviously light & are very similar dimensionally to the Roin versions, these have less caliper clearance than the Hawk wheels front and rear but by adding a spacer which brings the offsets back to the same as the Hawk then they clear the 4 pot brakes. As with the Roin wheels a 285mm disc & a 164 caliper wouldn't cause an issue.
    I would assume that the Marvic & Roin wheels are only available in the authentic 108 pcd, the TMB's I assume are available in both 98 & 108pcd as there are both original Lancia's & Allora replicas running on these rims. The Hawk wheels we know are available in both Alfa & authentic fitments.
    The one thing that put me off buying the Hawk wheels for a current project was the fact that they are only available in gold, I needed white wheels & at the new Hawk prices then there was no financial incentive to buy from Hawk & then get the wheels repainted when I could buy direct from Roin in the colour of my choice ready to bolt straight on. If the Hawk wheels were available in a range of colours then it have been an easier choice.
    If someone wants a 15" gold wheel then the Hawk are the best value, the ones made previously by Compomotive were good quality & I wouldn't have an issue fitting them to a car.
    The Roin's are certainly a quality item & are as light as they can be for an aluminium wheel & when you consider they are a CNC item then it is easier to understand the pricing. They must offer the best integrity of any wheel available.
    The Marvic's obviously will be be purchased because they are magnesium and are the lightest wheel available ( I can't comment on the Alfaholics wheels as I haven't seen or fitted any)
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 25-07-2016 at 08:41.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

'Serious insight Craig!

Michel, the photo of the mag wheel I took myself of my own wheel, it is not an official product photo.
    You are probably right with the Marvic theory?
    The wheels from Udo were only available in 8x15 and 9x15, only in 5x108mm and only with domed nut inserts. €1000 each at the time.
    The gold is a really nice shade on these wheels. No paint/coating on the centre bore, you'll notice? Here's the other side:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mag Coffin R.jpg  

This is a pic of inside wheel ( probably rear one ?) from the Marvic official site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14_stratos4.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	10044

Some slight difference ??

Concerning the paint coat I have to admit that I had on the front ones ( appeared a year after delivery) abad surprise when deciding to fit them after long storage under covers I discovered bubbles under the gold paint ( was offered by Marvic to return them back to italy for a new paint !!!!)
    I sanded those to the magnesium , did a primer coat and had acahnce to find the same gold and painted those again !!! Issue solved but time consuming ( 1100 euros a wheel !!!!! Hummmm)
    Last edited by LM mic; 25-07-2016 at 12:08.

Thanks for the picture Michel.

That has convinced me more that the wheels I had were Marvic.
    I think with magnesium, you're always going to have this problem, and you need to keep an eye on the ageing. More than you would with ordinary alloys.

The Hawk wheels are very good quality and very strong, cheaper than magnesium, but (and this is more an issue with the greater mass of the 12" than the 8") heavy.
    I think with a car used only on the road, the looks of the wheel and the price, might outweigh any up-sprung weight issues?

Here you go Chris, this looks very similar to the ones you had-

Marvic 8" wheel rear face
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marvic 8 inch wheel rear face.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	10045
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Here you go Chris, this looks very similar to the ones you had-

Marvic 8" wheel rear face
    Yep, I reckon they must be Marvic wheels.
    The bulk of the 8" rims are exactly the same as the 9" one in my photo. 'Just that extra bit on the outer rim.
    Exactly the same spoke shape/dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
    My choice is for Marvic rims but they'll have to wait till the bank balance looks a little/lot healthier!
    Now that I know a little more, that would certainly be my choice too.
    That is, if funds allowed, which is highly unlikely.