Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12v Engine Needed

SEC Member

12v Engine Needed

Does anyone have a spare 12v engine that they know to be good? Just done a HC sniff test on one of the cars up here and it's looking like we might have a Head Gasket away, or something more sinister.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. The usual.....always happens on the run up to Stoneleigh...

Cheers, Mark.

Re: 12v Engine Needed

I've got an old 12v motor under the bench that came out of the car two years ago, it hasn't been turned since and would need parts putting on it (inlet tract mainly I think plus new belts and clutch and maybe intermediate shaft). If nobody else pops up and you want it FOC you're welcome. When removed it had no head gasket issues and was taken out to upgrade to Cloverleaf/Q2.

Cheers

Guy

SEC Member

Nightmare territory that is Mark, beware!
    I spent a lot of time looking for one, unsuccessfully. Including a kind offer off Guy for his spare engine which I didn't need in the end because we managed to make a good one out of the two we had. But trying to find a decent 12v ready to fit was impossible.
    You are welcome to any bits I have left over if you need anything for a rebuild but I'd say you will be very very lucky if you find something ready to fit.

There are 2 on ebay at the moment, of course you take a chance on the condition.....

SEC Member

Cheers guys....I know, we're not keen to go down the ebay route. I did that for a 12v engine for my brothers car once before and the guy kept the money and didn't ship the engine.....unbelievable. Anyway, to cut a long story short....after a flight from Glasgow to Bournemouth and a trip to his front door I got the money back. Hence the reason that I wanted to ask on here for anyone that had something, and knew the history of what they had. I'm going to take Guy up on his very kind offer. Hopefully that will keep us going. Thanks John for the equally kind offer of any spares we might need. Fingers crossed we'll have all the bits and pieces off the engine that's in there at the moment.

Are these worth rebuilding at all? I've never really looked into it but I guess they're not really financially viable now. Considering these engines are getting harder and harder to find now (and most likely outdated by more modern stuff)......what's the current thinking on replacements? I know if it were for my car I'd be tempted to go down the Audi Turbo route like lots of the Exige/Elise guys are doing. I know it's a four pot....but it's a bulletproof engine with massive output for no money at all. It wouldn't bother me being a four pot as I really like the wee Volumex in my car. Anyway...probably getting off topic now!

156 2.5 v6, cheap, loads about. LB do a mounting kit at sensible money.

SEC Member

Doing it again I'd go with Johns suggestion and fit the 2.5 especially if Craig can do the mounts now.
    Depends on which chassis the engines for of course?
    We did eventually manage to get Frederic one engine built from the two we had ( both of which had "issues"), at CMA in Chester.
    Not really having looked at the 12 valve engine closely from a rebuild point of view I was surprised at how simple and strong the actual design and components were initially.
    It can be done, and at reasonable cost as long as you don't need too many parts and can find somebody enthusiastic enough to help you. Barry did say to me "Don't bring me any more of these!" though.
    We had two engines stripped completely, and one engine built with good block, liners and Pistons salvaged from the two, crank swooped with new bearings and both heads skimmed, valves and seats cut and ground and pressure tested and the whole thing reassembled for less than £1500.
    Finding cam followers and shims is impossible and Barry just about managed to salvage enough. Said given more time he could have made some up.

Quote Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
    156 2.5 v6, cheap, loads about. LB do a mounting kit at sensible money.
    We've said it before, have'nt we John?
    4 valves for more tuning potential, nearly all 2.5 156s are manuals, 'standard flywheel's ok. 'Silly cheap to buy. What's not to like?
    Well, I'd rather not have FBW throttle, but you don't have to have that?

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    . What's not to like?
    Well, I'd rather not have FBW throttle, but you don't have to have that?
    You don't have to but why complicate something that's plug & play?
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

The 156 v6 dbw throttle works fine, its not like the engine picks up massively quick, itd need a lighter flywheel by some margin to outpace the throttle body. Cost of a 156 is a no brainer and youd find one inside 30 - 40 miles. For what you spend trying to acquyire a 12v, you could have the 24 installed.