Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12v Engine Needed

Re: 12v Engine Needed

That looks amazing! Lovely fabrication and prep.

SEC Member

Sorry.......should have clarified, you are right Guy, it's for my brother Brian's car, Phil Bishops old Hawk.

As a matter of interest.....how does the power/torque compare between the 2.5 engine and the 3.0 12 or 24v?

I've still never done an engine upgrade in the Transformer with the standard twin cam.......but I have just bought a Seat Toledo with the 20v Audi turbo engine....

Always thought a VAG turbo would make a good choice for replacing a TC. Purists will hate it of course!

SEC Member

Yes, looking at the size and weight of the Alfa V6 in my brothers car that we are replacing at the moment it looks like a good option! I have to admit that after being in a few Exige/Elise Audi powered cars I was very impressed. For Power vs money it's hard to beat......a very driveable 300bhp is easily achievable, and by all accounts pretty bulletproof. One car I looked at was running 530bhp in an Exige.....mental! (Admittedly he had spent a few quid on that engine!!!).

I picked up the Seat donor car from a mechanic friend who's wife owned it from 9months old, 60k miles and FSH. Interior is full of mold and water (apparently Seat door seals are really bad)......runs sweet as a nut and only cost me £400! I couldn't even buy the blower off my Volmex for that!

I'm going to do some measuring.......I can't see why it wouldn't fit. Like you say....purists won't like it but it's a replica, not a genuine car and I'm not out to kid anyone or achieve authenticity.....I just want some reliable driving fun that's easy to work on. If I do take the plunge then I'll maybe start a build thread....could be a while though as I've got a fair bit of other stuff to get through first......

Nobody ever considers the fiat coupe 5 cyl turbo. Pretty sure the gearbox is the same as the Alfa and I don't think the block is any longer. In theory, the box should bolt right up to the previous drive shafts, just two new engine mounts to fabricate.
    If you are a good detective, you can get a cam cover from a lancia kappa for the coop engine, it's a straight swap and has the lancia script.
    Last edited by strat24v; 25-03-2016 at 09:59.

SEC Member

You're right John......I never even considered it......and I don't know why as there,s a guy at the bottom of the road with a "project" (read moss covered) coupe in his drive. I remember him telling me how quick it was. What kind of power do you get from them in standard trim?

200 and a bit but 280, 300 fairly easy to achieve. Have a read up on the fiat coupe forum, loads of tuning info. I have two 5 cyl turbo engines sat under the bench here, both shot though.

Inter cooling is always the issue. The early Marlboro cars had a big snorkel which would be perfect to utilise for that.