Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 15" wheels on a Stradale LB?

Re: 15" wheels on a Stradale LB?

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    Is that why 12" coffin spokes are marginal on round arched Hawks?
    Alan (Skelly's) extensions, for example.
    This along with the extra -ve offset in the rear wheels when compared to the Roin or Marvic versions would equate to almost 20mm per side extra protrusion across the rims, add on to that the overlap of the 345 P Zero's and you can see why the arch extensions came to be, especially if the car went through IVA on those wheels.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

To illustrate Craig's point
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20161028_13_52_43_Pro.jpg  
    Last edited by Griff; 28-01-2017 at 00:23.

Craig's right - Chris' car on the Compomotive rims looks spot on - the ride height, tyre profile and rim size really works well. It's just a real shame nobody's reproduced the original Stradale rims, as I'd go for a set of those for sure. He's also right in saying that the yellow Stradale (pic attached) is the best 'look'.

It's all too easy to get ride height, rim and tyre sizes wrong, and then the kit car really does look like a kit car - somehow all of the proportions look wrong and the car just doesn't sit right.

I'll wait and see a completed Stradale car on 16s, and try and make a judgement from there! In the meantime, I best get buying some lottery tickets!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YellStrad2.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	10828

SEC Member

Would the camber change with suspension travel at the rear not adversely affect the handling with such wide tyres? Wouldn't it get worse as the wheel/tyre combinations get wider?

Henry

9" mag on a Hawk compared to 9" mag on an original Stratos.
    I'm not sure how much wider the rear track of a Hawk is? Are there any figures?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 225 Michelin 1.jpg  

The test wasn't an issue,
    Because it was already tested, I meant.
    'Like those mirrors on long stalks that turn into Vitaloni Californians.

9" mag on a Hawk compared to 9" mag on an original Stratos.
    I'm not sure how much wider the rear track of a Hawk is? Are there any figures?
    Approx 10mm per side,it may just be the combination of this & the 270 tyre ballooning out over the rim which makes it look wider on your old car (just like with the 345 PZero's on the Gp4's).

I do not know what size/offset the PAG's were that Enzo fitted later but they also looked a little wider set at the rear although they did have the narrower rubber fitted. The Stradale is also a difficult one for IVA as the rear arches cut back in to the rear of the car which exposes an awful lot of the wheel & tyre at the rear of the arch. Both of the pictures above look great from the front but both would be an IVA fail due to the cut on the arch

As Richard says it is so hard to get everything just right & with these cars we have so few options with tyres sizes to make the perfect combination. As stated earlier I would like to see a Stradale with the 215 TB 15" on an 8" rim F and something like a 255 TB 15" on the 9" rim R, this would give a nice 40mm differential between the front & rear tyres which would work for both aesthetics & handling.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 28-01-2017 at 09:53.
    Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by ah_sprite View Post
    It's just a real shame nobody's reproduced the original Stradale rims, as I'd go for a set of those for sure. He's also right in saying that the yellow Stradale (pic attached) is the best 'look'.

It's all too easy to get ride height, rim and tyre sizes wrong, and then the kit car really does look like a kit car - somehow all of the proportions look wrong and the car just doesn't sit right.
    With the number of people building Stradale's vs Gp4 cars it is very difficult to justify the additional tooling charge to produce the wider rear wheel with the extra step on the outer rim which we all agree is the best looking version for the Stradale.
    Paul in NZ was the sole LB Stradale order for a number of years, there has been a slight resurgence for the narrow body in the last few years but we're still talking single figures.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 28-01-2017 at 10:06.
    Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Approx 10mm per side,it may just be the combination of this & the 270 tyre ballooning out over the rim which makes it look wider on your old car (just like with the 345 PZero's on the Gp4's).

I do not know what size/offset the PAG's were that Enzo fitted later but they also looked a little wider set at the rear although they did have the narrower rubber fitted. The Stradale is also a difficult one for IVA as the rear arches cut back in to the rear of the car which exposes an awful lot of the wheel & tyre at the rear of the arch. Both of the pictures above look great from the front but both would be an IVA fail due to the cut on the arch

As Richard says it is so hard to get everything just right & with these cars we have so few options with tyres sizes to make the perfect combination. As stated earlier I would like to see a Stradale with the 215 TB 15" on an 8" rim F and something like a 255 TB 15" on the 9" rim R, this would give a nice 40mm differential between the front & rear tyres which would work for both aesthetics & handling.
    Front PAG 8" PCD 5x108 offset 0
    Rear PAG 9" PCD 5x108 offset -12
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg   2.jpg  

Spats fitted to satisfy IVA.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spats.jpg  
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com