Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancia V6 Plenum

Lancia V6 Plenum

Found this on ebay.de. Makes a nice addition the the Alfa V6 bolts straight on. Has the larger inlet runners too which is a good upgrade for the 2.5.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lancia-Thesis...kAAOSwoudW3Zr5
    Last edited by Fingers; 25-01-2017 at 06:37.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

Re: Lancia V6 Plenum

Thanks Paul - I bought it! I'd seen yours and was so impressed I've been looking for one since (albeit a bit half-heartedly).
    Peter

If I'd had some spare dosh, I'd have done the same! My Alfa ones are just about to head off for powdercoating - black, silver or red wrinkle finish... decisions decisions!

Black crackle finish looks good. Did mine with a spray can (before I bought the Lancia plenum)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alfa engine covers -crackle black (1).jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	10814

the throttle body mount on the Lancia ones are different from the Alfa plenums.( They used a twin butterfly sequential arrangement)
    I produced a siamese answer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plenum3.jpg   plenum2.jpg   plenum1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCar6 View Post
    the throttle body mount on the Lancia ones are different from the Alfa plenums.( They used a twin butterfly sequential arrangement)
    I produced a siamese answer
    The one that Paul linked to & Peter bought looks like a phase 3 plenum so will hopefully have the same DBW throttle body as the 166/156 Ph2 & Ph3.
    The Lancia one in your pics with the twin TB looks like a Ph1 24v that still has the idle air control valve?
    How the larger inlet runners locate onto the smaller port alloy 2.5 casting is a question for Peter and/or Paul?
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Yeah, the inlet runners bolt straight on the the 2.5 right through to the 3.2. On the 2.5 you just need to open up the plates that bolt to the heads, but the gaskets are the perfect template as they are the same no matter which size engine. I used a rotary file on the end of a drill and smoothed it out with a flap wheel. I think the one in the pictures above is from a Lancia Kappa, the Thesis seem to have the same shape plenum as the later Alfa V6's
    Last edited by Fingers; 26-01-2017 at 06:48.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

Throttle-body and runners aside, am I right in thinking that there are some differences in the engine breather connections (etc.) to the manifold between the Alfa and Lancia?

I have it in mind that ph2 Alfa engines only have a breather off one cam. case where ph3 have a breather connection off both? Either I've dreamt that or possibly that could explain the difference.
    Last edited by Spartan; 26-01-2017 at 07:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Throttle-body and runners aside, am I right in thinking that there are some differences in the engine breather connections (etc.) to the manifold between the Alfa and Lancia?

I have it in mind that ph2 Alfa engines only have a breather off one cam. case where ph3 have a breather connection off both? Either I've dreamt that or possibly that could explain the difference.
    The 2.5 156 engines do not have a breather from the front rocker cover, they have the conventional breather from the rear bank at the gear box end of the engine, they then have a second breather from the back corner of the cover at the cam wheel end, this is the one which is normally split & leaking oil down the back corner of the engine. These are then all linked to the plenum via the oil catch tank which is mounted to the back of the plenum, there is also one connection from this system which connects into the inlet tube which is pre throttle body.
    The phase 2 3.0 166 engine have a similar oil catch tank arrangement on the back of the plenum but this engine does appear to have a breather from both rocker covers at the gearbox end of the covers, the rear bank breather is connected to the small catch tank system on the back of the plenum & then into the plenum, the front breather simply connects the inlet tube pre throttle body. I wonder if the angle that the engine is fitted at in the 156 means that the front head is too low to breathe effectively which is why they tried to run two breathers from the rear head only.

The Ph3 engines are a lot simpler with one breather from each bank, the one from the rear bank connects directly to the back of the plenum, the one from the front bank connects directly to the inlet tube pre throttle body. There is no oil catch tank on these engines.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 26-01-2017 at 08:50.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

This is the one I bought. I'm hoping, as Paul suggested, it will be a relatively straightforward swap?
    Haven't had a chance to work out all the hose connections yet but it doesn't seem too complicated (or perhaps that's just my naivety ! )
    Anyway what can possibly go wrong ?
    (Craig's comments also v. useful.)
    Last edited by Stratos Fear; 26-01-2017 at 15:45.