Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Michigan Member

Re: New Michigan Member

Saw him today and asked. He does various versions of the engines from almost stock to 500+HP with fully forged internals.

Standard(ish) engine with original crank and rods, balanced and with lightweight flywheel and their custom ITBs fitted should make 400hp. Said it should rev to at least 8000, probably be OK at 8500. Would cost 10-12k on top of buying the second hand engine to start with as the base for the rebuild.

It's a very compact engine. Much smaller than the Alfa or Toyota lumps. It's only a little bit wider than a Honda K20 4 cyl engine (which is the guys other specialty).
    Last edited by LPH_UK; 08-03-2017 at 21:17.

Free user

I sourced a Alfa v6 in the usa, it came from Japan with transmission, struts and hubs .. $1800 delivered. There are also Alfa 164's available ,,, few and far between but if your 3 years out you will definately get a compete can for about $3,500.
    BTW i think the lead time for a Lister Bell kit is a few years, check with Graig they are busy over there with a full order book.

Free user

I spoke with Lydia? a few days ago and she said the wait is about a year for a kit.

I think I've decided on a Turbo 4G63 as I have been looking into a turbo build and a 4g63 is partly a Chrysler product.

AVFC80, Thanks for that info, however im not much of a originalist when it comes to the engine.
    Short of fitting in a hemi (because "its got a hemi") or a pantera engine, I think I'll stick with this. 4G63 parts are very easy to come by (my main worry with the alfa v6 and 164) and I can get more power out of it for less money.

Yes the wait is about a year for a kit .... but a standard kit I guess
    seems you write you are decided on adifferent engine they had developed the mounting points, mounting brackets , drive shafts , cooling etc etc so means you are in capacity of doing all that stuuf on your own onto a bare un painted cahssis ????
    Congrats !! will follow with big interest if you start on the forum your built
    Last edited by LM mic; 09-03-2017 at 21:38.

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by MooglyMoog View Post
    I spoke with Lydia? a few days ago and she said the wait is about a year for a kit.

I think I've decided on a Turbo 4G63 as I have been looking into a turbo build and a 4g63 is partly a Chrysler product.

AVFC80, Thanks for that info, however im not much of a originalist when it comes to the engine.
    Short of fitting in a hemi (because "its got a hemi") or a pantera engine, I think I'll stick with this. 4G63 parts are very easy to come by (my main worry with the alfa v6 and 164) and I can get more power out of it for less money.
    Ok no problem... one thing to note is that I was told these chassis can be a handful so I'm told from a horsepower perspective less is more. There may be other guys running a lot of horsepower so check with them on this. BTW I have 2000Bhp in the garage so I'M not afraid of a few ponies.

good luck with the project!

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by AVFC80 View Post
    Ok no problem... one thing to note is that I was told these chassis can be a handful so I'm told from a horsepower perspective less is more. There may be other guys running a lot of horsepower so check with them on this. BTW I have 2000Bhp in the garage so I'M not afraid of a few ponies.

good luck with the project!
    I have also heard the same. That's why I'm sticking with 330 hp. I feel that will be near the top end of my comfort zone for now haha. I can always tune for more ponies if I feel like it. I'm going to try to tune the turbo so it doesn't kick on hard when the boost hits.

I am getting excited. I still need to scrounge up the rest of the mones but Ive been dreaming and thinking about this for the last month straight haha.

I am capable of mounting points and coolant systems so the undeveloped engine shouldn't be too much of a problem. The wiring will be the hardest part in my opinion.

SEC Member

What makes this forum so valuable is the cross-section of skillsets represented among the members. For me it was the exact opposite - I was completely in my comfort zone when it came to wiring and anything electrical, but wanted nothing to do with breaking new ground on engine options, dealing with welding and engine mounting points, custom driveshafts, etc so I kept with the tried and tested Alfa V6

Wiring is my nemesis too!

SEC Member

Welcome to Michigan. I have a Hawk Chassis that was delivered last October. Very long term project for me but happy to swap Stratos stories anytime. I'm heading down the Frankenstein Ferrari engine route (big capacity / big valve 308QV engine) which I am in the process of building right now. Happy to show you the car anytime.

Free user

Lister Bell owners: Can someone measure the width between the frame members of the rear sub-frame? Also, the height between them? I need rough dimensions for packaging purposes. Im trying to decide if I can fit a Hemi in a Stratos.

Also, Ilmor, Can you measure the height and width of you engine, including the accessory drive?