Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future kit builder

Re: Future kit builder

Wonder if Craig could make a chassis to hold this?

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...ine-0km-unused

You cal also by 'crate' Yota engines. Swindon Engines used to sell them, they might still do. This place offers them http://www.track-group.com/product-c...-parts/2gr-fe/ and this place http://www.dee-ltd.co.uk/powertrain/2gr-fe.html

No idea how much though.
    The first site mentions a price for a brand new unit of £5.5k - but on an exchange basis (seems a bit odd?)

The trouble is where do you STOP ?

By the time you spend on Toyota (possibly modified) and maybe a flappy paddle gearbox, you find your kit car is reaching the price of a Good Porsche (with full service history) or staying on the Italian theme An Alfa 4C to name just two of the many sports cars out there.

You have to carefully budget a build because it can easily run away with you. You need to know what you will use your car for? Touring, Posing, Track, Competition ?. Many have built a car, driven it and didn't like it ,so ended up selling it.. Everyone needs to at least go for a ride in a completed car before committing to a build. Also the European market may dry up if the EU gets its way. All factors that need careful consideration.

But at the end of the day the choice is yours, its your car and you drive it and its yours to enjoy. So if anyone tells you what to do tell them to get stuffed.

PS No I'm not a kill joy.......
    Welsh piloti rally sono i migliori del mondo

Free user

Wise words Mel, Personally I think that 325bhp with massive torque which my motor has is too much for the road. The car is in my opinion a monster, to see the acceleration between 80 and 110 in something that is not a 100,000 supercar is good but stupid. Better to build a balanced car with 200ish bhp, trying to get more than that from the Alfa engine is expensive so better to go Toyota if more power is wanted, but trust me you wont need it. Whats most important is how the car feels and sounds, more power is just bragging rights in the pub. And if you are talking superchargers and heavy gearboxes you are just adding weight to the rear of the car which could upset the balance. Just my opinion but I am in a good position to give it.

I haven't had the chance to have a proper drive of my car yet, mostly just short runs too and from work and the odd club run around the area. Hope to change that this weekend. I'm estimating, based on what I've read for my mods, that my 2.5 Alfa engine is around 210 hp. I've fitted GTA inlet cams and bigger inlet runners, it revs forever and really pulls well above 4500rpm. My point is that is has enough power to scare me, based on the reputation of the Stratos that I have yet to experience. For me it's always there in the back of my mind that you might end up backwards through a fence or in a ditch. Until I've experienced that limit, hopefully at an upcoming track day, I'm not pushing too hard. After you've spent x amount of hours and dollars/pounds on your dream that last thing you want to do is ruin it.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

SEC Member

No, not a kill joy Mel. Wise words from all.
    If I understood the matter correctly ( tho I wasn't there) Bob was quicker at the sprint venue than Neil with his 500+BHP.
    I am firmly in the camp of building a reasonably powerful car, standard for whatever engine you choose, in a well sorted and setup chassis.
    I'm afraid I've listened to too many "bragging rights"conversations at Motor Clubs, shows, in the pub and at Motorsports events where the amount of money spent and power claimed can be almost universally found to be inversely proportional to the results and demonstrable talent of the spenders. Not always, but mostly!

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    Wonder if Craig could make a chassis to hold this?

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/De...ine-0km-unused
    I could but it wouldn't have a Strato's body on it, nor a Strato's wheelbase.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    No, not a kill joy Mel. Wise words from all.
    If I understood the matter correctly ( tho I wasn't there) Bob was quicker at the sprint venue than Neil with his 500+BHP.
    I am firmly in the camp of building a reasonably powerful car, standard for whatever engine you choose, in a well sorted and setup chassis.
    I'm afraid I've listened to too many "bragging rights"conversations at Motor Clubs, shows, in the pub and at Motorsports events where the amount of money spent and power claimed can be almost universally found to be inversely proportional to the results and demonstrable talent of the spenders. Not always, but mostly!
    Hi John
    It was actually Neil who was the quickest on the day by a couple of seconds.
    My 280'ish bhp not able to keep up with his max speed down the short straights.
    Neil was always 10 to 15 mph faster.
    Rgds Bob

SEC Member

Oh OK Bob. I got the wrong end if the stick then!
    It doesn't change my mind on how much carp there is talked about power though.

Spend the dough on brakes and dampers.