Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STRATOS REGISTRATION IN EUROPE

STRATOS REGISTRATION IN EUROPE

Good evening to everybody!

It is a huge pleasure to be finally able to find time to build my OWN Stratos.

Unfortunately if you resides in Italy and you are Italian it becomes a nightmare to register the new car.

I think this issue is not only affecting me but I think also other members.

I shot some emails and I d like to thank Guy, Enzo, Marcolino and Ian for precious help received.

Let me wrap up what came out: basically it is impossible to have it registered in Italy passing through TUV in Germany (once was doable, around 10 yrs ago; not now.).
    Even worse trying directly in Italy.
    The same goes via DVLA and then through TUV in Germany.

Stuck.

Is there anybody that can provide some help/experience or succeeded in doing it in Europe?

All help is warmly welcomed and thanked!

Alex

Re: STRATOS REGISTRATION IN EUROPE

I can only speak for Germany! up to date 2017

New Kit Car absolutely not impossible about the EURO 6 norm and
    material appraisals from TÜV for (Frame and Glassfibre).

Used Kit Car only with date of first registration in V5 from 1988 or older! EURO 1 norm.
    With the date of the first registration after 1988 only with a lot of bureaucracy.

i hope this helps.

saluti Enzo

THX Enzo, not only with a lot of beaurocracy plus, according to what TUV told me today via phone call, from 10K to 25K euro......just to start....

I think I better forget to go through TUV...unless I wanna pay more for the registration than for the car.

Gentlmen anybody has nothing better than this??

Otherwise Europe is sinking for beaurocracy.....

I think I m going back to register it in UK then move it to...where???
    Last edited by Alex; 10-06-2017 at 03:37.

Here in Holland Registration has also become more difficult.
    The best thing here is to buy an older kitcar with a registration that was before 1995 ( i think ). You don't pay tax on a new car and you can comply to the emmision norms from that registration.
    Witha new kit You can go via the IVA in the UK and then import the car to Holland. But if its a new kit it wil get a new date of first registration so the car wil have to comply to new emmision norms from that date. That is not impossible but then the Taxes come collecting some money for new cars, we call it "slurptax" . This tax is calculated from the amount of grams CO2 emmision and weight of the car. For a super seven ( light car ) it is estimated at about 6000 Euros i think a Stratos will be at about 10 - 15.000 Euros. So no fun in building here, well fun in building but not afterwards.
    I wil have the same problem getting my 037 on the road, i can not use the old registration because i change to much. In Holland we have to use 2/3 of the old car in order to keep the old registration. Rules keep changing, hopefully they change for the better again, but that wil be wishfull thinking . So i start saving or sell the Alpine when the 037 is finished.
    Strange thing is that a Diesel engine would be far more cheaper in Tax but to throw a Diesel in a Stratos
    Speaking of diesel, just got word that the first Diesel kit got through Dutch "IVA" and registration and is on the road soon. I hear some more people are trying diesel, after all the LeMans Audis were also diesel. But still....in a Stratos....no way.
    Another choice is to go for a kind of IVA in Holland itself but that is more expensive and difficult and stil leaves you with taxes.
    Best here is to get an older car like in Germany.
    Not much help sorry to say.
    Last edited by pim; 10-06-2017 at 09:43.
    Cheers, Pim

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Luctor et Emergo

Free user

Reading all this beurocratic nonsense makes me realise how lucky I am to be in Britain, just a shame around half the population and 70 percent of MP's don't realise it as well!!!!

I will go the English way. Which means after I finished the project I have to return the completed car to Lister Bell. They will arrange English registration. I will import the car to the Netherlands. Because England in (still) in the European Union the Dutch "RDW" have to accept the car. It could be the same in Italy. However you will have to hurry because it seems the Brexit will go on within 2 years. Nobody can predict what will be possible after the Brexit.

SEC Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
    Nobody can predict what will be possible after the Brexit.
    Ain't that the truth! Even those who we pay to predict it, and especially those who get "elected" to do the same!

Just to bumpo this thread with another question...

I'll be selling my Transformer this summer, and as part of the possible market is mainland Europe, it would be good to have an idea of what potential buyers there need to know.

Mine was built in 1998 and registered as "Transformer" and with a ZLA-------- chassis number. I think that's a Lancia number, as I guess at the time Transformer didn't issue chassis numbers, and the number came from the original donor.

Does that make sense? And do we know if that makes it difficult/impossible to re-register in particular EU countries?

1998 will probably be too new for the continent.
    If the recorded date of registration on the V5 is earlier, (like the donor's period reg. that most pre IVA cars had) that should help. Or more likely to be viable.

Is your car the 'Nick M.' one?

The assigned registraton number has a B prefix, from 1984/5, if my maths is right? I don't know Nick M, but mine was Elliot's red/white one (Donnan's?)

With the £:euro rate changes, it must be very tempting for Europeans to source from the UK, but it looks like a bureaucratic minefield on the date/VIN/etc issues.