Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: STRATOS REGISTRATION IN EUROPE

Re: STRATOS REGISTRATION IN EUROPE

The likes of Frederic, Enzo and Pim will know best.

Ah, Elliott's old (ex Roger Donnan) car?
    I would say, European reg. viability or not, you're likely to get considerably more than you paid for it.

For sure!
    Europe becomes now an attractive market where these cars are valuable because rare and difficult to find with correct registration!

With rate €/£ that's very interesting to buy a replica in UK and imports in Europe but laws are more and more strict and severe for obtaining registration in this side of the Channel !

In France only replicas with 30 years old are road legal!!
    For new ones it's a long expensive and uncertain process to obtain homologation and registration!
    Patience and Good luck for succeeding...
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 04-07-2017 at 15:23.

as I guess at the time Transformer didn't issue chassis numbers, and the number came from the original donor.

Transformer DID have chassis numbers..... you will find it normally on the back face of the rear chassis on the top left hand side (If memory serves)..... at that time it will possibly be a Spyder chassis
    When I registered Eric, which would about be at the same time, the DVLA Centre in Nottingham told me to put a separate plate on the car with the donor Lancia Beta chassis number stamped on !!..... at the time they were making it up as they went along !!

Someone will tell you exactly how the Transformer chassis number system works..... it has SPY (Spyder) then year then individual number I think ?

Phil

Chassis numbers are stamped in two places on Transformers. If you stand behind the car it's on the top left corner of the chassis on the vertical surface and also on the brake servo bracket at the top looking at it from the front of the car.
    My chassis is SPY8805048 - this decodes as a Spyder chassis, from 1988, May, and it the 48th chassis made.
    Guy

Thanks chaps. I'll have to get over to the storage unit and take a look. I only have the V5 with me at the moment.

Am talking to a fellow member in Holland and he had found another Lancia-donor Stratos, but it was impossible to register in Holland. Will report back on what we find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    Chassis numbers are stamped in two places on Transformers. If you stand behind the car it's on the top left corner of the chassis on the vertical surface and also on the brake servo bracket at the top looking at it from the front of the car.
    My chassis is SPY8805048 - this decodes as a Spyder chassis, from 1988, May, and it the 48th chassis made.
    Guy

cheers Guy

OK gentlemen, sorry for the silence but pretty busy with moving of my house ( a nightmare....) anyway it is done.

Back to Stratos-mania.

At this point I do not know what to do. Going back to UK, while UK "still" in Europe and then re-register it in Italy or try where in Europe? I cannot believe it is so hard.

Is there anybody that has recently registered the car in UK? If so, pls, it is possible to know all the steps that he had to do before have it registered???

Thank you again to everybody for help.

Ciao

In the UK we have the IVA system which makes it easy for us to build & register a car using the age of the donor car to set the emissions standard for the new vehicle. In the past the date of first registration of the donor vehicle was sometimes (not always) transferred onto the new registration document & this worked well for exporting cars to mainland Europe. This process was slightly random and you could also get cars built using an old donor car on the age related scheme which were then issued with a new registration which is also wrong.
    The main issue over the last few years is that all kit cars registered using the IVA scheme are now issued with a date of first registration relative to the year which is passed its IVA. So as an example if you built a car now using a 1998 Alfa 156 donor car & IVA'd this year using the age related route you would get a UK V5 registration document for the new car which says Date of first registration 2017, you would then be issued with a previously unused registration from 1998 (the year of the donor car) & on the front page of the V5 it would detail the emissions standard that the car would have to pass on an MOT test. Are you confused yet? So we now have a 2107 car with a 1998 registration plate & a 1998 emissions standard (which in this case is Euro 2).
    The problem is that when you now try to take that car into Europe the only thing they will look at is the date of first registration which is 2017, the registration number is irrelevant to them as it only means something in the UK & we can fit an older registration to a newer car anyway. The emissions standard for 2017 car in Europe is Euro 6 which the Alfa engines do not meet so they would therefore fail an EU MOT test unless you can prove that the car should only have to pass a Euro 2 test. The other issue is taxation & road tax rates, I understand that the new car tax on a 2017 car in Italy would be a lot, I think that the annual road tax on a large engined car would also be prohibitive.
    In brief you would be best advised to find an older pre built and registered Hawk replica which is firstly correctly registered & secondly has a date of first registration of something like 1988. This way it may be possible to import the car to Italy as a classic and you would therefore only have to meet 1988 emission standards & pay classic car tax relative to 1988.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Strat Fan...thx 4 the Lectio Magistralis!
    Outstanding.
    Point is i dont want a prebuild car, i want 2 build it.
    IVA system and its outcome is clear.
    Taxation in Italy 4 a 2017 car with that power....it is crazy.
    Now i want to check if there is in italy the chance to re use your registration number (the oldest date referred to the car) ik order to have thevregistration going back to the date of the donor car. That would be perfect 4 taxation & emissions.
    I ll PM to u.

Alex