Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New LB builder in Reading

Re: New LB builder in Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Just for my 10 peneth

The Strato's was (and is mainly) about handling... going round corners very quickly, changing direction like a kart...a cross country pocket rocket.... I suspect that a 280 / 300 bhp Strato's will be just as quick round a tight twisty track as a 500BHP car

Phil
    We proved that at curborough (if you don't know it's tight and twisty) the other week, most of the time Bob and me were lapping around the same time, and I have nearly double the horsepower. my best lap was a couple of seconds faster, and I have no doubt a better driver would have been even faster.... and I could probably go faster if I had more track time, but on a twisty track, it's hard to use the power, without spinning, which I did a few times just to prove I was trying
    Last edited by turbonutter; 28-06-2017 at 15:11.

Free user

Hi All

nice to find an active forum and thanks for all your comments

TBH when I had my Evo I was happiest with how it felt when it was 400/400 ... when I went to 600 I couldn't be flat out as much and I'd start to get torque steer despite it being AWD and I'd lose traction in all but the hottest weather

Currently I have a KTM X-bow which is running 375 hp and I'm getting the STR as an all-weather version of a fun car to have

I've had turbo'd cars as my fun car (brum brum cars as my 7 year old and 4 year old called my Evo then X-bow) ... but I'm thinking I'd like to have a really intrusive supercharger whine ... for a change

I guess this must be the silliest reason on the forum for someone to go for a supercharger ... LOL

I'm thinking I just want it to have a reliable drivetrain ... what are stock internals and drive train good for ? since I always seem to have bad luck with cars ... LOL

Is there anyone with an STR or another Stratos near Reading who would let me have a poke around it plz ?

cheers

Raj

Superchargers all generally all about torque which is what the Alfa gearbox isn't too good at. If you fit one, you need a fair bit of boost to offset the weight of kit fitted compared to the weight of the vehicle otherwise you can have even less power to weight. Only kit available is the rotrex but that's a belt driven turbo, more about top end. The right part for the job is an opcon/autorotor lysholm supercharger but you'll have a Merry time engineering it all . Sensible advice is to aim for 300 HP, ample in such a short car, you can achieve that with a high stressed Alfa installation or go the Toyota route which is what most here would now do if they were starting again.

Free user

how do the Toyotas sound compared to the Alfas ?

I know it should be about function not form ... but tbh this will be a toy

Fit a modest V6 for starters, get used the car, then upgrade later.

If light enough, any Stratos rep. will really shift with 160 to 200 bhp.
    Upwards of 250 bhp is silly quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Just for my 10 peneth

The Strato's was (and is mainly) about handling... going round corners very quickly, changing direction like a kart...a cross country pocket rocket.... I suspect that a 280 / 300 bhp Strato's will be just as quick round a tight twisty track as a 500BHP car

Now pure straight line speed is something different.... but do you want to go 130mph + in a Strato's ??....... the wheelbase geometry will make it interesting !

Phil
    This man seems to know what he's talking about.
    Whoever he is??

SEC Member

Yes indeed. Discount the opinion of the big power theorists and listen to blokes who've been driving them round for years.
    In the end, you build the car you want, but if it's a toy, make sure it's one you like or it'll get left in the cupboard.....

Free user

How does resgistering the car work if it's a spaceframe chassis ?

what if I used all new parts not a donor car for example ?

the reason I ask is that I'm looking for a STR-ey personalised plate but don't know what year I should buy ?

I don't think it'll matter? If you use a donor you get an age related plate, if it's all new components (and you can meet emissions requirements) you should get a current plate and then it's just a matter of putting a cherished plate on it. What you can't do is try to make the car appear younger than it's registration date..

Guy

SEC Member

Exactly Guy. So if you are buying a personalised plate AND you end up with an age related plate on your car, make sure the personalised plate you want to transfer on to your car is from a car the same age as or older than the age related one.