Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devils Advocate

Re: Devils Advocate

Folks.....

Before we turn on each other as normal....... I think this boils down to Robs review in TKC and the lack of response to that article.....

Myself I tried but failed to find a copy, such is its good circulation!
    So I cant comment on what was said.
    Maybe Rob can post a copy?

As I have said in a previous post we had an original car at Silverstone, (Shame more of you didn't get to see it) and with the Clams down you would have to look hard at it so see the differences, if you knew what they were in the first place.

Mr Joe in the street would not know and indeed I heard people looking at at Pauls car and saying its a replica......case proven.

That's not to knock the car but to prove just how good people on here can build cars.
    John H wont thank me but we all know how long its taking John to build his car and we are all following Guys efforts to prove it can be built. Doing a second car does help.

As for closer to the original, Ask Ken or Paul the owner of the car about the suspension...we thought that they were all cast uprights, not on Pauls car (Might have that the wrong way round)

Which is easier to build.... give a chimp a Listerbell and he will no more put it together any faster, than he would a Hawk.

Lets but the Lid back on this can before it gets nasty, as I said I would have liked to have see the magazine review to see what was said.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Attachment 11662
    Oh dear, Too late........

Like it !

Well said Ian, the quality of build will be as variable as the final paint scheme choice, it will depend on the time, skill, effort, and time (yes I know I put it twice) the builder puts in to the project. Familiarity will lessen the time demands, hence why professionally built cars, irrespective of which kit is your starting point, will generally be finished sooner, and a better quality finished product than a first effort, home build. Before this gets silly, bitter and full of recrimination, please let us all remember that the only reason we are all on this bb, is because we all belong to the STRATOS enthusiasts club. It is the enthusiasm for the original car that unites us, the replica, or genuine car we own is just the means that allows us to experience, to whatever degree that enthusiasm in the first person. Different people will concentrate on different facets of that, which is clearly evident by how something will be of huge importance to one owner to get right, will be a total inconsequence to another owner enthusiast.

Celebrate the enthusiasm, welcome the diversity, and stop this mine's better than yours nonsense.
    Last edited by Griff; 01-08-2017 at 12:00.

My car is a corse, so I am really out of this discussion and I have gone out of my way to try and not replicate the original stratos in many ways, which I don't need to point out, but for those that don't know, the interior, dash front clam, engine, rear lights, wheels etc are all non original, yet one person came up to me at silverstone on Saturday and said that my car was the best of the bunch, in livery and attention to the build..... it's all down to individual perspectives........

Lets just enjoy the Stratos!

SEC Member

I think I understand where Rob's coming from, not because of anything said here, but what was written in the TKC article. There was a large chunk of how good the Hawk is, and another section on Accidents I Nearly Had, which I thought were a bit out of place in an article ostensibly about Lister Bell. It didn't help that it was badly written and came across as somewhat disparaging to Rob and his car, and I'd have been a bit pi$$ed off too if it'd been me.
    I don't think Rob's saying the LB is better than the Hawk or vice versa - I think he just wants some kind of reaction - and he's got it

Good to see how grown up the responses are, though. No backbiting or trying to score points....what a top bunch of guys!

When I built my Allora back in the day, there was a definite "it's not as good as a Transformer" vibe going around from people who didn't know enough and/or hadn't investigated the kits properly. I remember being at a Lancia Motor Club do in Wales and getting compliments on the car, and then the question "aren't these Transformer replicas good?" or summat like that got trotted out. When I told them it was a Handmade Allora there was the sound of jaws hitting the floor, and the response was, I kid you not, "but I thought they were supposed to be shit!".....hey ho.

That sort of thing was one of the reasons I sold it - I got fed up of people telling me it wasn't supposed to be any good. The real killer was Steve Greenwood redesigning the chassis when he took over the project, and mine was suddenly...well...a bit shit

These days, Alloras are recognized as good cars in their own right, as they should be. Like I said, we're all a lot more grown-up and nicer people now, and we all know the best Stratos rep is....our own
    Last edited by Normb666; 01-08-2017 at 21:44.

Real and hawk suspension isn't interchangeable. But guess Frant may have fabricated some wishbones as a one off. Any claim as to fitting is plain lying.
    Btr told me hawk panels needed a lot of work to fit Perez's car.

Just got the TKC article but have yet to read it.
    I am an amateur tinkerer who built a Hawk, then rebuilt bits of it then rebuilt some of those bits again. (It's the way I drive!) Previous high point of experience was changing the engine on my RS2000 with one arm in plaster and I had a fair bit of glass fibre experience from watercraft, but mainly an arrogant DIY-er who can't see why I can't do what others do.
    The Hawk is a 1980s product with little development since, LB is a 21st century product. The tools, techniques and materials available to the man in the street have progressed hugely in that time too. They are what they are; beautiful and a blast to drive, made individually to our own specs. Love em all!

As a newcomer to building a 'kit car'/replica thus far I have not found anything too tricky with my Hawk Lhd Stradale. Coming from a nineteen year ownership of a Beta coupe and running a integrale as daily transport the Hawk is a joy to build. I don't feel the need to rush my build (two years in) but I'm aiming to have the car on the road in the next two years. Juggling a young family, self employment, 60 hr working weeks and not a deal of holiday is time consuming as I reckon four weeks left alone and I would have the car at least ready for the IVA. In another life maybe!

Lets be honest, real or replica is ultimately irrelevant, the concept of this car in many guises is superb and we are all lucky to have these fantastic machines, some people cant afford to run one car let alone one or several cars we in many ways don't need.

Vive la difference!
    Tim.

Quote Originally Posted by Normb666 View Post
    Good to see how grown up the responses are, though. No backbiting or trying to score points....what a top bunch of guys!
    Well said Norm.
    I didn't fear any 'meltdown', even with this thread starter.

Touché Norman, I think we are all here as we admire the Original car, concept, and team behind it, and what it achieved, I certainly am. Would have loved an original,but.

As far as unfinished LB's are concerned, there may be one going if I don't get it finished before I finish!!!!! ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.

Robin TM