Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Show us your exhaust!

Re: Show us your exhaust!

As some of you may have noticed my car was Bicester Heritage over the weekend, when they held the last Sunday Scramble of the year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wizardofoz1.jpg   wizardofoz2.jpg  

I had left it with Ryan Edwards (Wizard of Oz), for him to work some magic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191009_150227.jpg   20191009_150517.jpg   20191009_150308.jpg  

and this is the outcome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191009_130542.jpg   20191009_130631.jpg   20191009_130622.jpg  

As a semi-retired gentleman, I went down today, and we finished the manifolds off, all fitted, and I was on my way home just after 4:00pm.
    Interestingly, the oil temp took longer to rise, and at light loads/cruising it seems to run 10/15 degrees cooler, I can only think the new arrangement doesn't transfer as much heat to the gearbox casing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191009_151549.jpg   20191009_151556.jpg   20191009_152237_040.jpg  

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    A couple of variations on the theme....
    Attachment 11871Attachment 11872
    The single exit system on the 2.5 24v Busso is the nicest sounding car we have built & arguably the closest to sounding anything like a real Stratos with the single note howl. Carbs or throttle bodies could seal the deal!
    With single exit system, are you referring to the lower one? Reason for asking is you mention this sound most like the real. But don't they usually have the setup of the upper picture?
    I've recently built a new stainless system for my -84 Alfa GTV6. I haven't started the car yet, so haven't been able to compare the sound. But instead of collecting the two parallel pipes exiting the first muffler with dual in- and outlets, the system is parallel all the way. But, I did add a X-pipe just before the dual muffler after being recommended to do so. To get the "Brrrap" instead of a "Boap".
    (I also did a set of two parallel pipes with fittings at each end to simply replace the dual muffler) ;-)

I see some have a T-arrangement (from LB?). Split at the center and running paralell to the transversal bar of the frame. Which would in some sense be something like a X-pipe. How are they collected? Maybe these cars all run turbo?

But to me, listening to real Stratos having the arrangement in the upper, it has quite a crisp sound if you ask me. You wouldn't have sound/videos to compare these two...?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C7C89ECF-E2DA-4B5D-90F0-0DA58A1F0AD6.jpg   1EEB0E7A-B105-45D1-9962-C424A5EBBA44.jpg   5362A019-6AC2-4D62-8F0E-613692B90A76.jpg  
    Last edited by Patriq; 13-02-2021 at 10:29.

Free user

Maybe this is a good comparison of sound between single and dual exhaust from otherwise the same engine?
    ;-)
    https://youtu.be/WXQVfOmSzwc

Quote Originally Posted by Patriq View Post
    Maybe this is a good comparison of sound between single and dual exhaust from otherwise the same engine?
    ;-)
    The issue Patriq is that the Alfa has a completely different bore to stroke ratio when compared to the Dino engine. The Alfa's have a longer stroke and probably milder cams.
    Even the 2.5 Alfa whilst having roughly the same capacity compared to the Dino has a much longer stroke and a smaller bore. The Dino has a 60mm stroke mated to a 92.5mm bore (2419cc, 1.54 ratio) whereas the 2.5 Alfa has a 68.3mm stoke to an 88mm bore (2492cc, 1.29 ratio)
    This gives the Alfa a deeper sound on the short exhaust and therefore a different exhaust note. You could bolt a Dino exhaust to an Alfa engine but it would still not sound like a Dino engine.
    The "X" pipe is fitted to the LB exhaust to try to sweeten the sound and/or raise the tone but I find the single exit exhaust is the best way to achieve this.
    Clearly most people want the classic twin tail pipe look that the Maglioli's cars had but the University Motors cars went down the single exit route and merged the banks by the right rear wheel.
    That is the beauty of building your own car, you get to choose, unless emission or noise regulations take over....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Single Exit Exhaust.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	17540
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Free user

Thanks Stan!

Thanks for that image above!
    Yes, I'm quite aware that these two engines (Ferrari/Alfa) are different - and hence also sounds different. Might not be apparent, but theses things you mention naturally makes a difference. But my angel was more, did the exhaust that had the pulses either merged with an X, or merged in another fashion and then split with a T later to dual exhaust (but hence still merged), a sound for the Alfa engine that was more like the dual exhaust of the originals?

Hearing the differences in the clip I posted, the single exhaust on the Ferrari engine, had more of the "Formula One/Wasp" sound. But the merged exhaust on an Alfa makes it sound more like the dual exhaust sounds of the originals?

And how does an X-pipe exhaust on an Alfa sound, compared to a dual exhaust on an Alfa?
    How/where are the two banks merged on the LB exhaust which has a T-later on to split into two exhaust? Is this just to effect the sound, or is this for cars that runs a (singular) turbo, but still wants dual exhausts...?

Free user

These three images I've found previously, would for me be the three principal routes I see to go. And I would really like to hear a comparison before finally deciding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bilde 04.jpg   Bilde 02.jpg   Bilde 03.jpg  

I like the bottom one