Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What front end is this?

What front end is this?

Does anyone know anything about this car? What front end is this, and is it available? Also, what color is this car it's definitely deeper/darker than all the shades of the Chardonette I've seen?

After some googling, I found this inconclusive info regarding the front end/airdam:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lancia-Strato...-/271955465414

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...s%20Corse.html

So it seems to be something from CAE/Corse? I'd LOVE to have it on the LB I just put a deposit on. LB's Lemans version is slightly similar, but I don't think I can get that front end on a regular wheelbase LB (LM mic can you confirm?).

And yes, to me that color is PERFECT, please let me know if you have any info!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aDjnF5Y5TB2qad55ko-B8A.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	12019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fyV9u8r.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	12020

Re: What front end is this?

Max
    Craig at LB already produces a chin spoiler for the Stratos all be it slightly different to the one in your pictures, a word of warning though the ground clearance at the front is somewhat compromised, I know from experience as the spoiler at the front of my car frequently grounds out.

David

SEC Member

Is that the ex Dennis McCann car originally in the US?

[QUOTE=maxxfish;37179]Does anyone know anything about this car? What front end is this, and is it available?

After some googling, I found this inconclusive info regarding the front end/airdam:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lancia-Strato...-/271955465414

http://www.racingsportscars.com/type...s%20Corse.html

So it seems to be something from CAE/Corse?
    LB's Lemans version is slightly similar, but I don't think I can get that front end on a regular wheelbase LB .

Name:	DM Stratos TDF nose.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	12032[QUOTE]

The full spoiler front end is basically one that was developed for the tarmac/circuit racing Strato's and can be seen on the Marlboro car which won at the 1973 Tour de France. The first incarnation of this spoiler was crafted from aluminium & is rivetted onto the nose section which was present on the development cars which itself was different to the production front that we are all familiar with. Later versions were no doubt moulded in GRP but the aluminium version is still doing the rounds and was seen on the original Marlboro car at Goodwood a few years back.
    Gerry's Marlboro Giro homage car has a nose section which is very similar to the original car, in this case it is a full GRP item.

Name:	Hawk Giro.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	12028
    The Corse front spoiler you show is unique to the red Corse GTO shown & was developed for that car, it does not replicate any original car.
    The more common spoiler used on the standard car (replicas at least) is the chin spoiler to which David refers- A version of this can be seen on the Rino Fabbri original although this one has been blended all the way up into the wheel arch blisters. the replicas tend to be a bolt on piece which finishes at the body line.

Name:	Chin Spoiler.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	12029
    The LB Le Mans nose is also inspired by the original Tour de France front end but this has a different arrangement on the brake ducts to better replicate the original Le Mans car.
    The Le Mans front end will fit the standard LB car aswell as the LM but my personal though is that by having the full width nose section it makes the car look even shorter & emphasises how much the standard car rolls under at the sides.
    Both the Tour de France car & the Le Mans car had additional bonnet louvres behind the headlight pods. These are not present on the dark blue car & also the lip for the wheel arch blisters has been lost when the additional arches have been glassed in.
    As David rightfully points out the smaller chin spoiler is quite vulnerable during road use, the full race front end is perfect for track use but how it works in road trim is unknown to me. The front lip is however height adjustable & therefore can be replaced if damaged.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 01-10-2017 at 16:36.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    John, thanks, I just googled "Dennis McCann Lancia Stratos" and found this! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lancia-Strat...p2047675.l2557

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Yep, & I reckon I know whose warehouse the eBay front end is in as well.
    Is there any truth in the claim that this car was built from a Gartrac tub?
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

This Blue Stratos with french Plate is a Stradale refurbished and prepared as a Gp 4 with FIA HTP ... And has been sold 4 years ago in Brussels and seems to be used by the new owner in latest Monte Carlo rally without its front spoiler!

http://www.vdvgrant.be/en/lancia/stratos-gr4

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	12034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	12033
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 01-10-2017 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    The Le Mans front end will fit the standard LB car aswell as the LM but my personal though is that by having the full width nose section it makes the car look even shorter & emphasises how much the standard car rolls under at the sides.
    Both the Tour de France car & the Le Mans car had additional bonnet louvres behind the headlight pods. These are not present on the dark blue car & also the lip for the wheel arch blisters has been lost when the additional arches have been glassed in.
    As David rightfully points out the smaller chin spoiler is quite vulnerable during road use, the full race front end is perfect for track use but how it works in road trim is unknown to me. The front lip is however height adjustable & therefore can be replaced if damaged.
    Strat Fan, you are completely correct, now that I've seen those pictures of this car from the Belgian site, this front end does make the car look even more like a chode.

These pictures tell the tale, the other pictures of the car in front of the rock wall are definitely professional, and in those pics the wheels are always turned, which hides some of the issues with the look:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 8.10.17 PM.png 
Views:	224 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	12041Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 8.10.35 PM.png 
Views:	228 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	12042

OK, one more front end question. I see that Lister Bell offers an alternative bonnet vent, looks like a GT40 Mk2, it's a single nostril opening. See pics below. Was this ever on any of the real Stratos'? Thanks, Max
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10473753_673424939438871_2722579902070730199_n.jpg   11057483_754902554624442_6158331787669879226_n.jpg  

I have never seen this kind of opening nostril bonnet on original cars!
    Indeed that one looks like a GT 40 ...but for my opinion the original bonnet Louvre looks more nice and maybe more convenient to put a spare wheel or other stuffs inside !!
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 03-10-2017 at 13:58.