Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stratos Bodyshell

Re: Stratos Bodyshell

Quote Originally Posted by LM mic View Post
    Humm from what I know recently an Gelscoe GT40 is more circa 450/500 !!!!
    Wow:
    http://www.gelscoemotorsport.com/images/gallery/189.jpg

I wonder if this kind of thing is substituted for genuine cars at historic motor sport events. To save an original tub from any risk?

Price increases every day ...with some speculation!!
    One Gelscoe was sold this year in Paris but the price is on ask on the website and I asked it by mail and was replying by phone contact or visit only...I guess the price was high as you says because the car is eligible for all races (le mans classic Goodwood and american races..)

https://www.classic-racing-annonces....-gt40-gelscoe/

I think maybe wrongly the price for building one is less.

I visited last year Mick Sollis (Southern GT) he received me personally and showed his last GT40 and gave the price list around 90-100k for one accurate turnkey with all same engine and gearbox as original
    His cars are agreed and one of them ( don't remember the name of the owner ) races frequently at Goodwood revival and other races in UK!
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 08-11-2017 at 13:38.

Gelscoe and Lancia 037 have HTP FIA for historic racing...Not sure for this GTO Tech Stratos!

HTP for a new chassis ?????....... its laughable !

Quote Originally Posted by Stratie.fr View Post
    His cars are agreed and one of them ( don't remember the name of the owner ) races frequently at Goodwood revival and other races in UK!
    That is surprising to hear. I had understood Goodwood were quite sniffy (not keen) on "continuation cars" and only accepted in-period competition cars. Certainly that was the stated position concerning the recent Jaguar E-type lightweight continuation cars

Original GT 40 are becoming more rare now in competition and some people have chance to use continuation for that...
    As same way as new chassis obtains FIA HTP...with the "magic key"!!
    Last edited by Stratie.fr; 08-11-2017 at 16:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratie.fr View Post
    Price increases every day ...with some speculation!!
    One Gelscoe was sold this year in Paris but the price is on ask on the website and I asked it by mail and was replying by phone contact or visit only...I guess the price was high as you says because the car is eligible for all races (le mans classic Goodwood and american races..)

https://www.classic-racing-annonces....-gt40-gelscoe/

I think maybe wrongly the price for building one is less.

I visited last year Mick Sollis (Southern GT) he received me personally and showed his last GT40 and gave the price list around 90-100k for one accurate turnkey with all same engine and gearbox as original
    Gt 40 like Mick Sollis is building are still replicas ( they cannot be accurate due to the tube chassis ?) so they enter in categories like " saloon cars " when they race or only "demonstration" cars or specific races with no connection to historic series ( In france they named this possibility " régularité" ( this is LB kits where admitted at Tour de corse ; the Historic "international champion ship" named C.E.R does not allow any sort of replica ... you must show at scruteneering HTP papers ( so this is why as stated previously some "intelligent" fabricator companies have understood years ago , obtaining this permit of building "continuations"!!!!!
    Again those continuations are very very rare ( so very very pricy !!!) and are submitted to a very close and accurate exam before to get the" famous race pass" , but ,as usual if you are the friend of the friend of the brother to the sister of someone in FIA office or if you are .....millionaire the pass is easy to get !!!!!

Today if you are "clever " and rich plus well introduced , you can start a rebuilt of watever historic car starting from only ; one original rear lower bolt of the trany !!!!!!
    Starting from this important and" historic , genuine , rare part!!!!!!! you can reinvent and rebuilt totally the car !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Non speaking of the new owners of old companies ( Chevron , Lola etc ) and some old rebirth companies like Karcraft in the US who are rebuilding brand new "historic cars" !!!! Using the name continuation and giving brand new Vin plates with serial number starting at the last chassis built 40 years ago !!!!! Karcarft have sold 10 brand new" J" cars ( with Ford permission !!!) in the past only 3 or 4 chassis where done !!! Guess who did those !!!!

C'est la vie !!!!!
    Last edited by LM mic; 08-11-2017 at 18:19.

Exactly Mich... No word to add

I have been talking to GTO Tech. Steel shells available from 40,000 Euro, 20K deposit and balance on completion, 2-3 month turnaround depending on spec.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I have been talking to GTO Tech. Steel shells available from 40,000 Euro, 20K deposit and balance on completion, 2-3 month turnaround depending on spec.
    That's an interesting news !
    is that with VAT or ex VAT ?

It is a rather honest price considering all the work to do to achieve such tub , plus all press tooling investment and press forming
    A GT 40 tub is actually probably 90 to 100 K plus VAT !!!!
    Last edited by LM mic; 08-11-2017 at 19:35.

For sure it's cheaper than expected... a sensible price for almost a masterpiece!
    That's mean you could build one "Stratos continuation" for less than 100k...if you obtain FIA papers it would really be the bargain of the century!